Is D-log worth the trouble?

Reaction score
I've been trying to get to grips with videoing with my P3 Advanced and I have to confess I'm finding everything very complicated, so I want to simplify things if I can.

I've been shooting in D-log because this was recommended as the best mode, but of course, the results are terrible before you post process them, and that's a skill I have yet to find enough time to learn.

I've just read a thread in these forums where people are using the 'none' setting and getting great results, so much so that they prefer it to D-log.

So I'm wondering if, as a hobbyist who doesn't want to go too deeply into things, would I be better off forgetting D-log?

My plan is to video in RAW, with sharpness, contrast and saturation all set at O, as a sort of best compromise. What do people here think of this choice?

Definitely forget D-log.

You can't shoot video in RAW, that's a setting for still photos. -(some very expensive cameras can shoot RAW video, but not the P3). You have the option of either MP4 or .MOV for Phantom video.

Definitely 'none'. Much better off getting a good set of neutral density filters and experimenting with them. For example, on a bright ,sunny day I prefer and ND8. That allows me to be at or very near an ev of 0 with ISO at 100 and the shutter speed at 1/60 (for fps at 30). Gives me sharp, bright video that I am very happy with.Requies very little or no tweaking in post processing (I use iMovie on my MacBook)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.