Is D-log worth the trouble?

Reaction score
I've been trying to get to grips with videoing with my P3 Advanced and I have to confess I'm finding everything very complicated, so I want to simplify things if I can.

I've been shooting in D-log because this was recommended as the best mode, but of course, the results are terrible before you post process them, and that's a skill I have yet to find enough time to learn.

I've just read a thread in these forums where people are using the 'none' setting and getting great results, so much so that they prefer it to D-log.

So I'm wondering if, as a hobbyist who doesn't want to go too deeply into things, would I be better off forgetting D-log?

My plan is to video in RAW, with sharpness, contrast and saturation all set at O, as a sort of best compromise. What do people here think of this choice?

Reaction score
Definitely forget D-log.

You can't shoot video in RAW, that's a setting for still photos. -(some very expensive cameras can shoot RAW video, but not the P3). You have the option of either MP4 or .MOV for Phantom video.

Reaction score
Definitely 'none'. Much better off getting a good set of neutral density filters and experimenting with them. For example, on a bright ,sunny day I prefer and ND8. That allows me to be at or very near an ev of 0 with ISO at 100 and the shutter speed at 1/60 (for fps at 30). Gives me sharp, bright video that I am very happy with.Requies very little or no tweaking in post processing (I use iMovie on my MacBook)

Last edited:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geoff1369