Is anyone else using propeller guards on a P4P?

I have a set and never use them when I fly outdoors, indoors (super rare, sure) I use them outdoors if and when I let a friend try my craft in a open field as I stand by real real close. The first time my wife tried to fly the P4 she laid it down on take off, I was very pleased that the guards where on.

Wow! How exactly do you lay it down on takeoff? By being nervous and not actually taking off would be the answer? Another thing I learned with my toy. When you take off, do it. No, that doesn't mean full throttle. It means have control and get to a safe height right away with intent.

Thanks. Guards have a place, still deciding if I need them in the kit "right now". They're so cheap it's easy, but will I actually fly with them and will they impact my main flights (currently) of wide open beach scenes?

So far I use them on two occasions and for regular flying I don't see much practical use but in tight spaces around trees and poles and things like that I can totally see them being a good safety barrier. Did not notice much effect on the flying.
6b90c892fe2029e0fc46a6a99ce811a1.jpg
111cad010fde0af68b2ba5517be147fe.jpg
6839e75a98e8084d34627f0630678999.jpg

Wow! How exactly do you lay it down on takeoff? By being nervous and not actually taking off would be the answer? Another thing I learned with my toy. When you take off, do it. No, that doesn't mean full throttle. It means have control and get to a safe height right away with intent.

Thanks. Guards have a place, still deciding if I need them in the kit "right now". They're so cheap it's easy, but will I actually fly with them and will they impact my main flights (currently) of wide open beach scenes?
On take off you have to get off the ground clean, she was shy on the gas and probably moved the right stick and the landing gear hung in the grass and the bird layed down. She punches it off the ground now, over her head, does a visual, checks GO and takes it for a ride.

Reactions: FL_Mike
If your planing to install the prop guards, one thing to remember is to save the original screws that you remove. The screws supplied with the guards are longer than the original screws. If you remove the guards, and then reinstall the longer screws, you'll tear up the motors when you fire it up.

If your planing to install the prop guards, one thing to remember is to save the original screws that you remove. The screws supplied with the guards are longer than the original screws. If you remove the guards, and then reinstall the longer screws, you'll tear up the motors when you fire it up.
After reading about this happening to several people I threw out the longer screws that came with the guards and used the original screws

The damage to the motors happens immediately once the screws puncture the coils, but to your point, additional damage could occur to the ESC(s) when energized.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna