Is anyone else using propeller guards on a P4P?

Reaction score
I want to buy and install a set of removable (so I can still store in my grey foam case) a set of propeller guards. I am photographing and videoing winter squirrel nests. I figure it couldn't hurt to have a prop guard on since I am flying in the trees. I do fly very much line of sight. I am watching the drone up and around plus I actually check the ascent, descent, and flight area. I still manage to clip a few twigs. So far so good.

Any down side to the propeller guards? DJI doesn't seem to be pushing any for the P4P. I would like easy install and remove and the best protection I can find.

v/r
rch

Downsides are increased drag, you will notice wind affect you slightly more. That being said, the p4p guards have a smaller footprint than the p4 guards so they don't interfere with the forward/ back sensors. I think using them amongst trees is a good idea, as well as inside. Also might be good if you are planning on low to the ground flights (like testing/learning different modes). If going for aerials and not near trees I would keep them off.

Downsides are increased drag, you will notice wind affect you slightly more. That being said, the p4p guards have a smaller footprint than the p4 guards so they don't interfere with the forward/ back sensors. I think using them amongst trees is a good idea, as well as inside. Also might be good if you are planning on low to the ground flights (like testing/learning different modes). If going for aerials and not near trees I would keep them off.
I don't see a P4P specific prop guard (except for obsidian). Are you talking about the P4 guard on the dji site?

v/r rch

I want to buy and install a set of removable (so I can still store in my grey foam case) a set of propeller guards. I am photographing and videoing winter squirrel nests. I figure it couldn't hurt to have a prop guard on since I am flying in the trees. I do fly very much line of sight. I am watching the drone up and around plus I actually check the ascent, descent, and flight area. I still manage to clip a few twigs. So far so good.

Any down side to the propeller guards? DJI doesn't seem to be pushing any for the P4P. I would like easy install and remove and the best protection I can find.

v/r
rch

v/r
rch
The wind will definitely affect flying with prop guards. Not anything the P4P can’t handle but it does “sail” a bit with prop guards installed and requires more attention in windy conditions. They do add more drag so slow you down
some. The older prop guards will necessitate de-activating the
proximity warnings. I used them for a while but decided I would rather practice more precise flying more frequently and have not used them in months. They do help save props when landing with both sticks. Landing/shutting down with just the vertical climb stick resolved that issue...Nelliebelle has not tipped over on landing for over 7 months!
Jetjockey6
y affect your flying with prop guards.

v/r
rch

I assume your using tripod mode in and around trees? If not, it’s worth a try, it’s the one place I find it works well.

I am using tripod. I am limiting this endeavoer to only those times when I can get extremely low winds. I have set my C2 button to narrow sensing. This let's me have some more flexibility, but, I really think the prop guards will make me feel better.

Thanks to all who responded.

rch

Last edited:
I had my C2 button to Narrow Sensing originally, but found that if I wanted to be more precise (using thumb and forefinger on the right stick - I use mode 2 for RC controls ), that I was better served moving Narrow sensing to C1.

I believe prop guards are a proper accessory for flying in the proximity of people. Considering the damage that props can do to skin, and the risk of uncontrolled descent, bystanders deserve some level of protection.

I had my C2 button to Narrow Sensing originally, but found that if I wanted to be more precise (using thumb and forefinger on the right stick - I use mode 2 for RC controls ), that I was better served moving Narrow sensing to C1.
Loktite, I didn't even think about that. It seems like it should have been intuitive, but, I never even considered it.

I know I am being nosey, but, did you then put your camera down/forward onto the C2 or did you go with something else?

Remember, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". I don't mind learning from more experienced drone pilots.

rch

I watched a video on must have accessories for the p4p last night.

The skinny of it was that prop guards may save you if you bump into a wall. Ok I can kind of buy that. Looking on this thread guards may be safer around people. Well, we're not flying around or over people anyway right, rules and all....

My only experience with a prop guard was on a cheap $60 toy. I was zipping around the yard with it and got a little too close to a tree. Next thing I knew a twig got snagged between the guard and a prop and stuck hard. Luckily I was able to rock the toy on the three still running props before the safety shut down the whole tiny bird. It fell out just as the power cut off.

I went inside and ripped the guards off immediately. Any safety they gave was outweighed by that stuck in the tree reality.

With that said, that was a toy. Now I have a p4p and am considering them again. I'm not even sure why other than that video. At this point I'm still a noob and only flying in the wide open.

I'm still leaning away from them. In FL, especially at the beach, there is always some wind.

So, I'll kick the thread here and see if anyone has any more input.

I got a removable set but I found I spent way too much time editing them out of my video. In the closet they went. Its easier to just not hit stuff.

I got a removable set but I found I spent way too much time editing them out of my video. In the closet they went. Its easier to just not hit stuff.

Half of my thought when I ripped them off my toy. The other half was I would rather pick up the pieces than watch it rain on it for weeks on end until the wind finally made it fall anyway.

I used to use them occasionally when I was doing (attempting, anyway) some precision flying around poles, trees, etc. They do add to the “sailboat” effect in wind. I have not used them on my P4P since I started using the pure carbon-fiber props; they work so much better in wind, and overall, than the factory props that precision flying is much easier. Prior to the carbon fiber props I did manage to graze a tree trunk with the guards....it would have been ugly without them! Personal choice but I would summarize by saying that the better I learn to fly the P4P the less I feel the need for them.

I used to use them occasionally when I was doing (attempting, anyway) some precision flying around poles, trees, etc. They do add to the “sailboat” effect in wind. I have not used them on my P4P since I started using the pure carbon-fiber props; they work so much better in wind, and overall, than the factory props that precision flying is much easier. Prior to the carbon fiber props I did manage to graze a tree trunk with the guards....it would have been ugly without them! Personal choice but I would summarize by saying that the better I learn to fly the P4P the less I feel the need for them.

I just read your thread/argument on CF props. That was the other thing mentioned in the must haves of the video I watched.

I'm staying away from them for now. If I need CF props to fly, it's not safe for me to fly based on my skill level.

I think I'll skip prop guards too. I did learn a lot with that toy.

I do like the fact that I can put them on if I want and the parts that stay on the drone cover the weak points in the limbs

I do like the fact that I can put them on if I want and the parts that stay on the drone cover the weak points in the limbs

Limbs? Do you mean the arms of the AC? I think I've read about the mounts for guards having a reinforcement value, but I've read/watched so much in the last 3 months my head spins.

I have a set and never use them when I fly outdoors, indoors (super rare, sure) I use them outdoors if and when I let a friend try my craft in a open field as I stand by real real close. The first time my wife tried to fly the P4 she laid it down on take off, I was very pleased that the guards where on.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl