Is an intermittent video signal normal with FPV?

A

aerialvisionz

I have set up my Phantom 2 with the DJI AV58, DJI Cloverleaf Antenna, iOS mimi, and a Black Pearl Diversity Monitor.

When both the monitor and the Phantom are motionless, the wireless video feed is good; however, as soon as either start to move the video becomes quite glitchy.

Below is a link to a Youtube showing what happens. Is this normal? I hope not as it is quite annoying to deal with while flying.

http://youtu.be/KF9d8vWq0F4

I believe the wiring is ok as I've tried the setup with wires soldered and then more recently with the new FPV Hub. Same results either way.

I have set the Blackpearl to NTSC and made sure both the transmitter and monitor are on the same channel.

Does any other Blackpearl owners know of other settings I may be missing?

If this is not normal, I guess I will try and return monitor and transmitter in case either is faulty.

As always thanks for any ideas!!

Looks glitchy to me but I don't have the same setup. I'm using isod mini, Fatshark Attitudes, Spironet antennas, and an Immersion 600mw Tx. Flew my personal best out to 1600 meters today and barely had a hiccup.

I have the AV 58 as well and experienced the same issues. The problem appears to be, for me, the wiring from monitor and battery are to close to the TX antenna, If you find a solution let me know.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

There is a thread about this already. I get vastly different results at different sites. Choose your channel for best reception. Use Diversity mode on the BP.

Some days it is perfect. Others... not so much. My last real shoot, it was in a very noisy environment and it really didn't work other than to get it off the ground. A day later - alone and in the high desert, it was perfect.

Thank you ladykate & Spiderx1 for clarifying that it is an issue others are experiencing. Saves me form returning the AVL58 or BP monitor thinking one was faulty.

As you mention ladykate, I have been only flying in a city setting so far. Would like to get out in the middle of no where and see if it makes a difference.

I will let you know Spiderx1 if I discover anything to solve the issue. I looked for the thread taking about this but can't seem to find it. Wondering if it is worth replacing the transmitter with another such as the Immersion.

aerialvisionz said:
Wondering if it is worth replacing the transmitter with another such as the Immersion.

Invest your money in getting better Antennae rather than a new receiver. The AVL58 is a good bit of kit, you don't need to replace it. Put a decent Spironet / Blubeam / Pinwheel antenna (IBCrazy is always good) on the transmitter and get a Spironet Patch / Helical / Blubeam (Again, IBCrazy) for the top of the Black Pearl.

I posted a cople of videos showing a comparison between Spironet and Helical antennae fitted to the Black Pearl on the thread ladykate was talking about. Try

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8406&start=50#p72893

These were with a Fatshark 250mw transmitter.... half the power of the AVL58.

Thanks for your input, goldfishrock!

As you suggested, I will order new antennas today.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl