Is AirMap safe to use?

Reaction score
The other day I was in the Florida keys in Marathon key approximately 1.9 miles from center of KMTH ( Marathon International Airport) class E airspace View attachment 114769. I herd a low flying helicopter and decided to see if it was safe to fly using AirMap
IMG_1569635066.978786.jpg
. AirMap showed no advisories and a green for all go. I was well within class E surface airspace which requires authorization from ATC
IMG_0692.jpg
here is a couple of vids from my position
Would I have been safe to fly using AirMap?

Last edited:
I checked the UAS Facility map here ArcGIS Web Application that shows the airspace as Class E at 700 ft surrounded by Class G airspace.

You are safe to fly there, but as always it is your responsibility to avoid and give right of way to manned aircraft. Helicopters do not have a minimum altitude they must maintain. As low as that chopper appeared to be my craft would have stayed grounded or no higher than the trees.

I was inside class E surface airspace which needs authorization from ATC to fly in such airspace. AirMap had zero advisories meaning I am good to fly there. If I did fly I would be in violation of 107.41 regulation.

Is the class E airspace because of a towered or non-towered airport? If there is no tower (uncontrolled) you obviously can’t get ATC/FAA approval but that doesn’t mean you can’t fly there. Like posted above, if it class E from 700’ you’re good to go but you have to watch for manned aircraft/ gliders etc. Non-towered airports are magenta, blue are towered.

Look at this excerpt from sectional chart where I fly... Morgantown airport is in class G airspace. It’s outside the class E designation... Reading to the NW is class D controlled with class E approach to surface, with gliders to boot. I fly low and cautiously...

If in doubt, look at sectional chart..,

B3634DCC-17AC-4E5D-AC1D-11E8C82D2C2F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: skymonkey
Here’s the sectional and where I was.
IMG_9341.jpg

107.41 only references airspace where ATC authorization is required before flight, nothing about towered or non-towered airport. Where is it that tells me that I can legally fly within the airspace referenced above without ATC authorization as AirMap suggest?

There is a magenta ring around that airport so uncontrolled. You can’t get ATC/FAA approval since there isn’t a tower. Everything is visual only. I would call the airport and open dialogue about what you should do when you fly close by, and pay very close attention and maybe use a VO. I’d stay low for sure even though it’s class e from 700’ upward (not from surface).

Like you already saw, helicopters do what they want and you gotta keep clear...

And that dotted circle to the left of the arrow point means that is a non directional beacon

Last edited:
Class E surface is a dashed magenta line on the sectional charts. Marathon does not have that. A good example is Leesburg Airport in the Jacksonville sectional. It has a Class E surface with ceiling at 0 AGL SE over Lake Dora.

The important part in all this is that as UAS pilots/operators it our responsibility to avoid manned aircraft, even if they are not flying in a safe/legal manner.

Last edited:
The sectional I posted above has dashed magenta line for the approach to reading airport. Reading is class D with class E to surface on approach...

This is all a little confusing since us remote pilots don’t go to airports every time we fly (or ever in my case).

Class E surface is a dashed magenta line on the sectional charts. Marathon does not have that. A good example is Leesburg Airport in the Jacksonville sectional. It has a Class E surface with ceiling at 0 AGL SE over Lake Dora.

The important part in all this is that as UAS pilots/operators it our responsibility to avoid manned aircraft, even if they are not flying in a safe/legal manner.

Got it! Don’t know how I missed it, thanks everyone.

With the newer rules in effect things are constantly changing and not easy to keep up with especially for someone who is a GA pilot as well as UAS. The FAA website has all the information for free. It just takes time to go through everything. The ArcGIS Web Application I quoted earlier will have up to date info for LAANC and if you are 107 certified the airports in red can be accessed via DroneZone for authorization (not real time like those that are LAANC enabled).

The sectional I posted above has dashed magenta line for the approach to reading airport. Reading is class D with class E to surface on approach...

This is all a little confusing since us remote pilots don’t go to airports every time we fly (or ever in my case).

The reading of sectional charts allows us to determine the airspace we are flying in and some of the apps like AirMap and Kittyhawk are quick checks for that. 107 certified pilots already are tested for their ability to read sectional charts and the time is quickly approaching when recreational pilots will have to do the same.

Reactions: Adamborz
I have my 107 and it still confuses me a little haha! I find myself having to refresh my memory ever so often... and I do multiple jobs per week.

The reading of sectional charts allows us to determine the airspace we are flying in and some of the apps like AirMap and Kittyhawk are quick checks for that. 107 certified pilots already are tested for their ability to read sectional charts and the time is quickly approaching when recreational pilots will have to do the same.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl