Is 107 worthy?

Reaction score
Monetarily speaking, these like me in the hobbyest side, it's really 107 part worthy to get it? I know what it is but is just I don't see the point in getting the certificate if you are not going to use it to make money.

There are certain advantages and disadvantages flying 107 vs 101 because the rules vary between the two. I think it depends on your situation. <posting errors deleted>

Last edited:
There are certain advantages and disadvantages flying 107 vs 101 because the rules vary between the two. I think it depends on your situation. For example, if you lived in a retirement community that forbids launching recreational drone flights in a particular open space, you could fly 107. Another example, if you lived 4 miles from an airport, you could fly 107 at your property and not bother contacting the airport. Etc. It doesn't have to be about making money.
In these two situations that you described... Do you need to contact the FAA or just take off and fly without any calls?

Situation 1) The retirement community has its own rule. Has nothing to do with FAA. This was actually a real life example which somebody posted a while back. The poster complained that his community made it against the rules to fly drones recreationally, and I suggested he get a 107.
Unfortunately, there is nothing the FAA could do to help here. If the retirement community has a rule that says you cannot launch drones from their privately owned grounds, then you won't be able to do it. If you're a hobbyist (or a 107 holder), you could launch from outside of the community and fly over it.

Reactions: F3honda4me
The retirement community could simply ban the use of RC activities on their property, period. That said, having a 107 and a need to conduct business vs flying for fun, could give you a better chance with presenting your case to their Board, but using it is a loophole would easily give them cause to close said loophole.

Trust me, better to find away to work with them vs around them.

Last edited:
Situation 2) If you're flying 101, you are required by law to contact the airport before you fly if you're flying within five miles. If you're flying 107, it's more complicated but my understanding is that in general you don't have to do anything unless you're within 3.5 miles. But it varies depending on the size of the airport. If you had a 107, you'd know exactly what the rules and procedures are regarding specific airports.

Good evening Mark. There are some problems with the comments above.

A) It fully depends on the CLASS of Airspace. For instance Class G (GOLF) = Go Fly and have fun. Class B (BRAVO) = Busy Airport and you'd better not fly without getting specific permission from ATC (could include a waiver).

B) There is no "if you're within XX miles" of the airport with Part 107. It's fully dependant upon the Class if Airspace and most of them (other than G) will require the RPIC to have obtained an Airspace Authorization or an Airspace Waiver. Either one will have it's own very specific stipulations which must be followed each and every time you wish to fly in that specific sector of airspace.

C) You are correct (at least we hope so) in that "If you had a 107, you'd know exactly what the rules and procedures are regarding specific airports". This is indeed part of the goal of Part 107 even though I think it has failed us in many ways thus far. . . .

I'm not picking this apart on a personal level just trying to get accurate and specific information out there for the masses.

Reactions: With The Birds
That wasn't the rule. The rule of the retirement community was not that there was no drone flying permitted. The rule of the retirement community was there was no recreational drone flying permitted. So don't you agree a 107 flight would technically not be against the retirement community's rules as written?
What I would agree on is there is a big difference between launching from your property and flying around over everyone else’s three times a day and a legitimate commercial purpose to a single event.

There are disadvantages too. For example 107 has an altitude limit of 400' while hobbyist flight does not.

Personally, I think anyone who is serious about drone flying should get Part 107. It makes since to me. I learned a lot from studying for the exam and continue to keep up with FAA knowledge. It's also the safe think to do, since you can show your license to anyone who questions you about your actions.

Reactions: CPal
The retirement community could simply ban the use of RC activities on their property, period. That said, having a 107 and a need to conduct business vs flying for fun, could give you a better chance with presenting your case to their Board, but using it is a loophole would easily give them cause to close said loophole.

Trust me, better to find away to work with them vs around them.
Well that works both ways. An ornery quad owner PO'd because he can't launch from his backyard could step one foot outside the property and buzz the community all day long. It's better for BOTH parties to work together to come up with reasonable rules.

I really think the future of drones is small & quiet so no one will even know they're there. Imagine something the size of this microdrone but with all the power and features of a Phantom! :)

203803-p1.jpg

Reactions: macoman

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94