Ipad mini displays

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking to get an Ipad mini for my P4P and was wondering will all minis work? Meaning 1,2,3 and 4th gens wifi ? Is there anything I'll be missing if I go with an older model as far as software or quality? I have a 4th gen Ipad wifi but apparently that doesn't work with DJI Go. Anyone know why my iPad wont work?

I guess I'd like to know which ones are best, CrystalSkies it just to big of an investment for me.

Thanks

Last edited:
You know that you need Go 4 for the P4P, right?
I have an iPad Mini 4 which is almost unusable since some September update. Lots of screen lag issues...

Reactions: Dronesovermexico
I have an iPad Mini 4 which is almost unusable since some September update. Lots of screen lag issues...
If your Mini4 is a WiFi only iPad, do you have the iPad WiFi turned on? If yes, try turning it off. Same with any cellphone in your pocket, try turning off WiFi. I've seen major interference and lag from that. If the iPad isn't linked to an access point it will hunt every WiFi channel to find an access point, endlessly, and that's what can interfere with the craft video downlink. Flying on 5.8Ghz can also alleviate the WiFi interference from iPads and phones.

The Mini4 should work fine. I haven't seen folks complain in numbers about Mini4, and the Mini4 is pretty popular. It's got the A8 CPU, however which should suffice, however I have seen folks complain about iOS 11 upgrades messing up the Go4 app, but I think that's resolved now in the latest iOS version.

Next to Crystal Skies what tablets are the brightest? I see the older Nvidia shield K1 keep popping up.

Next to Crystal Skies what tablets are the brightest? I see the older Nvidia shield K1 keep popping up.

The K1 is known for several features not found on other tablets, but brightness isn't one of them. It was a really fast tablet in it's day, 3 years ago. The HDMI-out port and native casting (wirelessly) to my living room TV was nice while it lasted.

I had a K1 until it died about a month ago. It was a slow agonizing death... first, the USB port loosened up, causing disconnects mid-flight. Then, the micro SD port stopped working unless you pressed down on the SD card with a toothpick, which of couse unlocks it and is not practical to do in use... so no SD card. Then, the display started acting up and got worse and worse for a few weeks before it quit completely.

So after several weeks of shopping, and flying with an old underpowered smartphone, I looked hard at the iPad Mini4, but chose the Huawei MediaPad M3 8.4 - and could not be more happy. Amazon has the 32gb for $262, and newegg has it for $279. This thing is fast, bright, thin and light, and the build oozes quality... 32gb native storage, and I added a 64gb SD... It comes with less bloatware than most, and it's almost the same dimensions as the K1, so my DIY hood fits it nicely.

I like it... (and you don't know anyone as persnickity as I am :cool:).

Good Luck

I'm looking to get an Ipad mini for my P4P and was wondering will all minis work?
iPad Mini 1 is too old and not a good choice.

iPad Mini 2 and iPad Mini 3 are effectively the same with the same CPU (A7), screen, viewing angles, contrast and brightness.
The iPad Mini 3 did add Touch ID, but it's no different than the Mini 2 for the purpose of being outdoors with your drone.

The Mini 4 is where we saw a big leap with increased brightness and reflectivity reduction for outdoor viewing using one of the mini iPads.

I have a 4th gen Ipad wifi but apparently that doesn't work with DJI Go. Anyone know why my iPad wont work?

Your current full sized iPad 4 has only an A6X CPU, so also probably not a good choice. The A7 CPU was introduced with the next model iPad (iPad Air) and that one is probably the oldest full sized iPad that would give you consistently reasonable performance. However, the Air 2 (A8X CPU) is the one that leapt ahead with increased brightness and reflectivity reduction for outdoor viewing.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
Great! Thank you for that info. Oso. I was looking at the mini 2 or 3 but reviews on YouTube were not great. This makes it more concrete.

I may have an iPad Air2 available with a Industrial Rotor MKII glare buster sunshade option. I literally bought the sunshade last week. lol. The iPad does NOTHING else but control my drones. It's a little on the big side for me, and I'm considering a Mini4 instead.

I may have an iPad Air2 available with a Industrial Rotor MKII glare buster sunshade option. I literally bought the sunshade last week. lol. The iPad does NOTHING else but control my drones. It's a little on the big side for me, and I'm considering a Mini4 instead.
What are you looking to get for it?

Hey guys, I'm looking to get an Ipad mini for my P4P and was wondering will all minis work? Meaning 1,2,3 and 4th gens wifi ? Is there anything I'll be missing if I go with an older model as far as software or quality? I have a 4th gen Ipad wifi but apparently that doesn't work with DJI Go. Anyone know why my iPad wont work?

I guess I'd like to know which ones are best, CrystalSkies it just to big of an investment for me.

Thanks

I use a Mini 2 since the P4P was released and have no issues except you can’t fly in bright sun without a sunshade and hiding in the shade

There is quite a difference between an iPad 4 and a mini 4 ! The mini4 is very effective, an iPad 4 is no where near enough for DJI go 4. The mini is very capable, Bright, and stable.
A 128 is available on line from Walmart for $299, you won’t be sorry. Every app works well.

iPad 4 has a lot of refresh problems, I can't seem to get it stop that. Very annoying when you fly.

The K1 is known for several features not found on other tablets, but brightness isn't one of them. It was a really fast tablet in it's day, 3 years ago. The HDMI-out port and native casting (wirelessly) to my living room TV was nice while it lasted.

I had a K1 until it died about a month ago. It was a slow agonizing death... first, the USB port loosened up, causing disconnects mid-flight. Then, the micro SD port stopped working unless you pressed down on the SD card with a toothpick, which of couse unlocks it and is not practical to do in use... so no SD card. Then, the display started acting up and got worse and worse for a few weeks before it quit completely.

So after several weeks of shopping, and flying with an old underpowered smartphone, I looked hard at the iPad Mini4, but chose the Huawei MediaPad M3 8.4 - and could not be more happy. Amazon has the 32gb for $262, and newegg has it for $279. This thing is fast, bright, thin and light, and the build oozes quality... 32gb native storage, and I added a 64gb SD... It comes with less bloatware than most, and it's almost the same dimensions as the K1, so my DIY hood fits it nicely.

I like it... (and you don't know anyone as persnickity as I am :cool:).

Good Luck
Only thing missing from that setup is iOS, and iOS has always been the better version of the GO 4 app, updated more frequently, and first to implement new features. The Android team at DJI just isn't as adept as the iOS team. That's the biggest weakness in the CS tablets: Android.

the IPad mini 4 is great for the phantom . been using mine for a yr no issues all up dates . in fact when i missed an update that's when i had an issue . now i make sure to up date the mini when ever one comes out . it works perfectly

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT