iPad mini 3 not fast enough for DJI app?

Reaction score
I have an iPad mini 3 with iOS 8.4; recently reinstalled with few apps on. It works fine with the DJI app for the first ten minutes, but after that video is extremely delayed or even a black screen appears. Firmware 1.1.9.
I thought the iPad mini 3 was good enough for DJI. The only reason I can find is that it is quite hot outside (30° C), although I am in the shadow and other apps have no problem; the iPad also doesn't give a heat warning.
Am I missing something here, or is the iPad mini 3 with its "older" A7 chip just not up to par for the DJI app, and do you really need an iPad Air 2 with an A8X chip?
I have tested it with an Nvidia Shield in the same conditions, and it doesn't have this problem. But the Android app is not as good as the iOS app, I find (less settings)...

xuxbMmbl.jpg

zROTB5ll.jpg

Tips tried, to no avail. Also played with HW decoding and disable video caching, but nothing changes.

Hmm. Not sure. I'm running an iPad Mini 2 (which has the same processor) and it runs like a dream.

I'm starting to think it must be a temperature thing with my iPad Mini 2. everything runs silky smooth when I fly my P3P towards the early evening hours when things aren't scalding hot (in the central FL area). But that all changes if and when I try to fly in the hot afternoon time when the temperatures are easily in the mid 90s. That's when my FPV on my iPad Mini can and quite often does get choppy.

I'm starting to think it must be a temperature thing with my iPad Mini 2. everything runs silky smooth when I fly my P3P towards the early evening hours when things aren't scalding hot (in the central FL area). But that all changes if and when I try to fly in the hot afternoon time when the temperatures are easily in the mid 90s. That's when my FPV on my iPad Mini can and quite often does get choppy.

The iPad Mini 2 and 3 both work fine with the DJI Pilot app. But as you suspected heat is the likely underlying issue here. These devices are computers, they generate heat and need to be run under appropriate temperature conditions. Excessive heat will absolutely cause the CPU in your device to throttle down in speed if not cut out all together to avoid self destruction. What you can try to do it keep your iPad Mini bare without a case, or a light colored case if you must use one so it reflects the sun away. And possibly some sort of portable fan to help keep the device cooler.

No doubt that it is overheating. It is a well known and discussed "issue" on the forum. Folks in cooler areas will always tell you that it's not an issue, but folks in hotter areas know that it is.

I say "issue" because the iPads are really only rated to 95 degrees and the Shield to 86 degrees. The Shield and the Air 2 perform better because they are less taxed by the Pilot app, but they will also overheat. The Mini 2/3 are less powerful, so they are taxed much more by the Pilot app and overheat sooner.

Reactions: JoBe and ScottyT
I also run the iPad Mini 3 and I have not had any issues with it and the DJI Pilot App but as stated above I live in a cooler climate so overheating may be a definite issue.

I also use an iPad Mini 3. Last weekend it got pretty warm at my field and I experienced some video stutter for the first time.

The ambient temperature was about 90 degrees and my iPad was a little warm even before my flight.

Before my second flight I let my tablet cool down in my car with the AC running. No problems after that.

:harry

Hi! I´m a neewbie in the drone world and yesterday I flew my PH4 with a new mini 3 and I suffered the problems with video commented here on a day with 32C (90F). After that I changed the mini 3 for an iPhone 6s Plus (case included) and everyting went fine.
I thought that my mini had any failure, but after searching and having found this thread I feel much better. I've been thinking to come back to an Air 2 but my firsts experiences was on a winter time with it and Air 2 it is too big to handle. Is mini 4 better or it will do the same video problems on a hot days? Thanks in advance!
Marc

Today in a day at 20C video is very bad with ipad mini. I dis everything and followed instructions from different threads of different blogs. In the picture I'm at less than a meter from the drone in a place with no interferences of any kind. (Tested in other places too)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
659ab64cbe9b7ccd0395f688247a3396.jpg

The A7 CPU in the mini 2 and mini 3 iPad are known to crap out in temperatures above 90F when flying with the GO app. I've got a mini 2 that I fly my P3P and I experience this all the time above 90F. Keeping it cool is essential, so I will often fly from inside the car with the air running.

The A8 CPU in the mini 4, Air 2 and iPhone 6 do not have this issue due to the advanced CPU that doesn't use as much power, hence it runs cooler. I use an Air 2 with my P4 and never have this overheating issue.

Last edited:
I sold my Air 2 in favor of a mini 3 refurb due to the price having all oinions in mind about it. Yesterday I did a test in a cold enviroment inside my home with the phantom at 50 cms away from me. Same result crappy video. Harware decoding ON, original cable and other mfi cables too. iPhone 6s plus works flawlessly even with a very old and outside damaged ixcc lightning cable.
I've been thinking to restore to defaults the mini, but I know that this is not the way.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl