iPad Mini 2 VS Android tablet?

iPad Mini 2 or Nexus 7/Galaxy Tab 4?

• Total voters

M_W

Reaction score
I know that there have been many discussions on this, but none of the ones I've seen are recent. The DJI GO app was updated Dec 1st and added the flight sim and some other features which I can't think of at the moment.

Anyway, I recently got a P3S. Loving it so far, but I've been using it with my iPod Touch 5. It's very, very laggy, disconnects all the time, etc. The iTouch 5 simply doesn't have enough hardware to run the app well. I tried it out on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 and it was much, much smoother. I'm currently considering getting either an iPad Mini 2 at WalMart on sale for $200, or either a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 or a Nexus 7, both on Amazon for $130.

Are there any big differences between the Android version and the iOS version of the app? I know most people say the iPad runs smoother, but the Nexus 7 has twice the RAM, and from my research the processor is faster.

If money wasn't an issue I'd get the iPad, just for the simplicity of it. But is it worth the extra $70? Or will a good Android tablet work just as good once the bloatware is removed and the settings are tweaked?

Thanks!

Can't speak on the others but I have the Mini 2 16GB with Retina display and works great with mine .
Welcome to the forum M_W :)
Voted :cool:

Can't speak on the others but I have the Mini 2 16GB with Retina display and works great with mine .
Welcome to the forum M_W :)
Voted :cool:
Thanks! I'm considering the Nexus 7 because of the price and a lot of pilots seem to be using them. If I don't like it I can always take it back and get an iPad Mini 2 instead.

Any Nexus 7 (2013) users out there having luck using it with their Phantom 3 Standards? I took it for a flight with a Galaxy Tab 3, the video stream wasn't bad,but navigating through the app menus was a pain. The app crashed when navigating through the Library, Flight Logs, etc. It also crashed when switching between photo and video mode. The Galaxy Tab 3 is pretty old, and this particular one has a lot of apps on it. Would a Nexus 7 (2013) be any better?

Any Nexus 7 (2013) users out there having luck using it with their Phantom 3 Standards? I took it for a flight with a Galaxy Tab 3, the video stream wasn't bad,but navigating through the app menus was a pain. The app crashed when navigating through the Library, Flight Logs, etc. It also crashed when switching between photo and video mode. The Galaxy Tab 3 is pretty old, and this particular one has a lot of apps on it. Would a Nexus 7 (2013) be any better?
I have the Nexus 7 2nd edition and have had 0 problems. I rooted it and removed all the useless crap and just use it for my p3s. You don't need to root it but I did. The video has no lag at all and app works great. The only time I lost signal is when a low flying plane flew over me. I was at about 450 ft and a plane was very low and for some reason I lost video. I was able to control it and I went to home screen on app and went back into camera view and it went right back to video.

I don't have any problems with my Nexus 7 2013 WiFi version either. It is not rooted and has stock Android Marshmallow on it with just a few apps. I did enable hardware acceleration and disable video caching.

I have an IPAD Mini 3 with Celluar thur AT&T and it works wonderful. I did have to use ram mount (long story) but it works much better than DJI stock.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic