iPad advice

So I assume “active track” is basically enabled and replaces “follow me” with a firmware\app update?
These are really completely different flight modes.

ActiveTrack allows the Phantom to visually follow a subject. It works well if the subject can be seen on the screen in the live video, the subject doesn't blend into the surroundings, the subject isn't moving too quickly, and the lighting is good.

Follow Me allows the Phantom to follow the location reported by the GPS receiver in your mobile device. Since this doesn't rely on visually seeing a subject, it also works in poor lighting or in cases where the mobile devices moves out of the area that can be seen in the live camera view. Before activating Follow Me, it's important to check the DJI GO map to confirm your mobile device is reporting its location accurately.

Reactions: NoTech64
iPad Pro 10.5 here. Nice and bright and LumaFusion blows away a lot of desktop apps on an iPad Pro. Very fast.

Reactions: ravedog
I got the 2017 iPad 32gb iOS 10.3.3 in November '17 when my mini would not even open dji go anymore. I have not updated the iPad from 10.3.3 and have no issues with both P3 pros. It's not a problem with a neck harness. Best Buy has it on sale pretty often for $325.00, I got mine on ebay new open box for $259.00.

Reactions: K Henry
I am having some issues deciding which iPad to get for my P4P.....I think I want the mini 4 but then look at the iPad 2017 and think

1. Is a bigger screen worth the extra weight over the mini 4?

2. Is the A-9 or A-10 chipset a worthwhile upgrade over the mini’s A-8?

Any advice would be appreciated as I do not want to get one then have to upgrade next year as it either works or I find out the mini 4 A-8 chip can’t keep up.

Cheers
Here's my take ... I actually have both an iPad Mini 4 and iPad Pro 9.7 with the A9 processor. I have a P4P and just received my Mavic Air so I can use either one with either drone. Both work fantastic and it just depends on the size screen you want. I've had ZERO problems with the Mini 4 after 2 years of use and no issues with the Pro after about 6 months of use. I personally prefer to that the cell versions so I have GPS all the time which doesn't require a service plan.
Here's a cost savings tip ... go to GameStop and buy a refurbished or pre-owned iPad to save a bundle!! I bought both from them and they arrived in mint condition, no scratches on the screen or body.
For the larger iPad Pro I found this fantastic sunshade on Amazon. Compact easy to put on and off. I only use the bottom half of the shade which provides the right amount of shade without the height of the full shade. The opening for your hand can be left open all the time for easy access.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078N5PHPB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: K Henry and ravedog
I use an iPad Pro with the 9.7” screen that I bought from the Apple Refurbished website and I love it.
So thin, so lightweight and enjoy the big screen for my old eye.....I mean eyes.

I use an iPhone X, an iPad mini, or the Epson BT-300 glasses when flying. For the Mavic Air, with simple missions (flying for fun or non-critical photography), I prefer the iPhone X. The extra detail of a larger screen is not important and the iPhone X has a more contrasty screen. When (in the past) I used the iPad mini, it was set up as a dedicated device with no other apps running in it. The issue with it, however, was screen glare on sunny days ... even with a so called shade device. For that reason, for more mission critical flights, I use the Phantom 4 Pro with the Epson BT-300 glasses where I get a high contract, high color saturation, crisp image at all times ... even in bright sunshine (when wearing a brimmed baseball cap).

The iPad Mini is old tech, VERY old. It's almost 4-years-old, and it does not hold a candle to the A9 or A10 in the new iPads. Unless you absolutely need the tiny form factor, for something like using a Mavic Pro's stock holder, the newer iPads are a big upgrade. There are already people starting to complain about the Mini 4 having issues with the GPU saying it's maxed out, and it will only get worse as DJI makes their program bigger and more feature-rich. The A9 and A10 will have a much longer timeframe before this becomes an issue, because the CPU is vastly superior, especially the A10.

Also, I don't know what the one guy is talking about, but the iPad pro is brighter than the iPad Mini 4, and so is the new iPad. The iPad Mini 4 is capable of 450 nits, the iPad Pro is 511, and the 2018 iPad is 489. So, the Mini loses there, too. The only thing going for the Mini is the size. That's pretty much it, because the price difference really isn't that great.
Having used all of the various iPads, despite the slightly lighter weight and smaller size of the Mini 4, it feels heavier than a full sized 9.7" iPad on the RC, because the weight is more centered, while on the 9.7" iPads, it is more distributed, and actually feels lighter, because it the combined setup is much better balanced. The RC tablet holder was originally specifically designed for a 9.7" iPad. That's the size I would recommend, in the Air 2, iPad Pro, or 2016, 2017, or 2018 iPad. :cool:

Last edited:
I use a iPad 2017 and the controller bracket is starting to wiggle a bit. Any ideas on a good replacement?

the controller bracket is starting to wiggle a bit. Any ideas on a good replacement?
The Inspire 1 tablet mount is a nice upgrade. Since the base is made of metal, it's able to hold large tablets without wobbling. You can find it here on Amazon or here on eBay.

51MDyLnS6gL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:
I use a iPad 2017 and the controller bracket is starting to wiggle a bit. Any ideas on a good replacement?
This is all you need. $9. No need to replace anything other than the bracket itself. It's modular. The P4P original is already metal, but constantly needs to be hand twisted back in, to retighten it. This aftermarket design improves on the original, and never comes loose with use, unlike the P4P stock bracket. I have one of these on all my RC's. Just attach the stock tablet holder to the top. The $30 Inspire bracket above suffers from the same design problem as the P4P stock bracket. It still keeps loosening on its own, when a larger tablet is used.
https://www.amazon.com/Owoda-Aluminum-Cellphone-Quadcopter-Transmitter/dp/B01HT5H4DE/
IMG_9651.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Kentrol72
The screeen is awesome. Don’t even need a hood to block the sun, it’s so good. Love it.
Yes. However, the larger 10.5" version does require some adapter, of some sort, to fit in the RC tablet holder, while the 9.7" version does not.

This is all you need. $9. No need to replace anything other than the bracket itself. It's modular. The P4P original is already metal, but constantly needs to be hand twisted back in, to retighten it. This aftermarket design improves on the original, and never comes loose with use, unlike the P4P stock bracket. I have one of these on all my RC's. Just attach the stock tablet holder to the top. The $30 Inspire bracket above suffers from the same design problem as the P4P stock bracket. It still keeps loosening on its own, when a larger tablet is used.
https://www.amazon.com/Owoda-Aluminum-Cellphone-Quadcopter-Transmitter/dp/B01HT5H4DE/
View attachment 98399

Thanks GadgetGuy!

Reactions: GadgetGuy
If i did want to get the 10.5" iPad Pro, what adapter do I need for the RC?
Also for either the 9.7" or 10.5", what is a good strap/ harness to keep it from being so unwieldy while walking about?

If i did want to get the 10.5" iPad Pro, what adapter do I need for the RC?
Also for either the 9.7" or 10.5", what is a good strap/ harness to keep it from being so unwieldy while walking about?

I have the iPad 2017 and use the DJI harness that came with my P3A. I am able to 1 hand the remote while I hand carry the P3A to take ground pictures with out a problem.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The "secret" is to use a metal keyring slipped over the top of the RC mounting post (temporarily completely unscrew the tablet bracket mount screw to make it easy, the one that adjusts the tension). Then, instead of attaching the strap harness clip to the built-in hole in the bottom front of the RC mounting post, just clip it to the keyring around the top of the post. Much better balance that way, and you can completely let go, when you need both hands, or easily stabilize it with one hand, while walking and holding the aircraft in the other hand. :cool:

Reactions: jephoto

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94