IOS Delayed, So I Had to Buy a Galaxy Tablet

Reaction score
After waiting about as long as I've waited for anything, I couldn't stand it when Android users started posting their flight data, comments and videos, so I went to Sam's Club and bought a Galaxy tab, my first Android device. Once I struggled through setting up the tablet and installing the DJI Pilot App, I hooked it all up and wanted to see if it demanded a firmware upgrade. It didn't. Like others, I always worry about firmware upgrades that might break something I don't use, so if what I have works, I let others be the crash test dummies on new firmware and App upgrades.

Pilot App said firmware was the latest version. I tried to find a release number for the firmware, but was unable to. Anyone who has updated their P2 knows all about the firmware release on the 6 or 7 items they had to pay attention to, and update when appropriate. P3P seems to have eliminated all of that, but I am not sure.

Wind was over 30mph during gusts today, and I flew a full size Piper Malibu airplane this morning to get an oil change, and the wind was rough and unstable up to 4,000 feet since two or three days of thunderstorms days are predicted.

If you are a Phantom 2 V+ pilot like me I'll tell you things I think you would like to know.

1. P3P is exactly the same size as the P2V+ with different, wider landing struts and different motors and battery power. Props look identical to the V3 version of the Phantom 2V+ 3.0 props, but don't have a metal threaded insert, so I used the new lighter all plastic props that came with the P3P. The specs on the DJI website never measured the size the same way they did on P2 models. I couldn't believe they could cram all the improvements in the same small package, but they did. I love the size, for traveling, it makes it so easy. Those backpacks are amazing, and probably have to get one in the future.

2. After a long ground checkout, trying to learn more of the Pilot App features, setting and controls, I had to get it in the air. I live in a residential area, and didn't want to have it drop into a neighbor's fenced back yard. I fired up the props and let the motors idle for a while, then I launched it to about 4 to 10 feet, staying inside my yard area. I wanted to prove 3 things to myself. 1) Software in the remote, phantom, gimbal, battery and tablet all worked together without software crashes, motor failures or battery cell failures that forced it down out of my reach. 2) The motors would survive for 15-23 minutes without freezing up or getting too hot. 3) The new battery would operate normally, because some P2V batteries showed swelling and then a dropped cell during a flight sends your Phantom 2 into auto land mode, losing your video link to the app, and putting the owner into a door knocking, meet your neighbors nightmare, "Have you seen my drone in your backyard or pool?"

Using the Android Galaxy 9.7 inch tab, everything appears to work. I took pictures and movies, used the new to me controller features, like shutter button, movie start-stop button, video or picture review button and gimbal tilt wheel. All worked, but it is sort of like playing a guitar to get all your fingers harmonizing at the same time. Practice and experience will help. So bottom line, without updating the P3P firmware, it all seemed to work. I wanted to run the battery down to start building some deep cycle history which should help increase the flight time.

3. After landing the motors were warm, but not hot to the touch. Bad motors or motor bearings could show up as a very hot motor. Motors on the P3P are much more aggressive in flight and I'm sure you should tighten props firmly to avoid the braking features causing them to unscrew and fly off during a high altitude rapid maneuver. Props slow down noises are substantially different than the P2V+. After the flight, taking out the only battery, it too is warm to the touch, so I put the charger on the remote first while I let the battery cool down. Then I will give it another good charge to build its endurance. My P2V batteries never appeared warm or hot when removed.

4. Flight in my windy conditions was impressive. High def view on a larger screen was awesome compared to squinting at my iPhone 6 screen on the P2V+ where the image quality was almost useless in the sun. The new map feature on the App with satellite images is fantastic and will help a lot of owners retrieve lost P3P's that do an auto-landing when the battery runs low.

Final opinion, assuming it continues to work and does all the new features promised, the P3P is 3 times more drone than the P2V+ for less money! Many dealers are starting to show some available stock and as soon as the IOS App appears and works, a lot of P2V owners need to seriously figure out how to upgrade in my opinion. I am not going to post any pictures, they are boring backyard shots, but color and resolution are impressive, as is the gimbal stability in a rough air situation. I couldn't be happier..... unless I had a DJI Pilot App on my iPad Air!!! But I've already admitted I couldn't stand to wait any longer.

We have to get some extra batteries, one battery's flight time is not going to satisfy you. That I guarantee you!

Last edited:
Reactions: stefmerks
I'm trying so hard to to do the same thing... :mad: I'm 2 min away from a Best Buy but I don't want an android tablet. I'm not the guy who buys stuff with the intention of returning it but this is putting me to the test.

Sorry, I feel responsible for your weakness. For me it was worth it! Not sure what I'll do with the Android tablet!! Now who is having a birthday that is not hooked on Apple stuff??? Hmmmm?
ME !!! Haha....bday in 3 days :)
I'm rocking and octo-core Tab S super bright and completely lagless viewing.....perfect for me
20150505_141300.jpg

Reactions: Stan_in_KS
First flight went awesome. Figuring out an Android tablet was not awesome. Took me forever... The USB security issue was the biggest hangup. I have never flown a quad copter but the flight went very well! Also a complaint about the droid is I cant send the video to myself i have to upload to youtube.. I'm sure I'm missing something but still a pain in the ***. I haven't edited video either soooo lots of learning curves. I flew to low and way to fast according to a neighbor who has been flying for 6 months. Anyhow Super impressed. Piloting was very intuitive and that's probably why the aggressive flying. Very stable!! Had it 3 ft above the ground and wide open down the street and finished with a lift through the trees that was very similar to Back to the Future. Forgot about the video so did it again at approx 5 ft. Hate the android tablet Love the drone!!

Those using the galaxy tabs. Is your tablet charging while plugged into the remote ? I just noticed when using my note 4 it charges the phone but with my galaxy tab 8.2 the battery is crossed out with an X and does not charge. Very odd

Well if any of you want to get rid of your Android tablet, let me know and I will make a far offer for it.

Just a thought.....

Those using the galaxy tabs. Is your tablet charging while plugged into the remote ? I just noticed when using my note 4 it charges the phone but with my galaxy tab 8.2 the battery is crossed out with an X and does not charge. Very odd
Yeah I get the red X too on Tab S and my note 4 seem to look like it's charging but I can't confirm that it is doing so...it just appears to (no X)

Yeah I get the red X too on Tab S and my note 4 seem to look like it's charging but I can't confirm that it is doing so...it just appears to (no X)

Well that's a bummer. I'm going to test other tablets this weekend. My 8.1 is crap anyways I need the newer one with a better screen

Now they finally release the iOS app as I'm getting used to my peace of crap Android Nexus Tab. I'm going to stick it out with the Nexus but I'm not a fan.it needs a home button. I swipe and swipe and can't get to the home screen. It's not a good experience for people just getting a new tab. I now totally understand the Apple experience.

Now they finally release the iOS app as I'm getting used to my peace of crap Android Nexus Tab. I'm going to stick it out with the Nexus but I'm not a fan.it needs a home button. I swipe and swipe and can't get to the home screen. It's not a good experience for people just getting a new tab. I now totally understand the Apple experience.

lol I had the same experience with a Nexus a while back

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.