iOS 11 screen recording feature

Reaction score
I have not flown for awhile due to many days of high winds as the remains of Hurricane Jose parked itself off the New England coastline, but it is now gone, and in the mean time, iOS 11 came out.

The screen record feature is what interested me the most, so I went ahead and updated my new 10.5" iPad Pro. I also updated my original iPad Air 2, but I'm thinking it will probably be a bit overworked running GO 4 / Litchi while screen recording.

Anyway, my plan is to fly tomorrow using both iPads and both flight Apps - while screen recording - and I will report back.

Reactions: SteveyB
Told another poster that if you get no video with screen recording on, turn off the record to cache option off on the GO app or Litchi. This is what I found during iOS 11 beta testing.

Told another poster that if you get no video with screen recording on, turn off the record to cache option off on the GO app or Litchi. This is what I found during iOS 11 beta testing.

OK. Thanks for that tip. I'm not sure what fascinates me so much about this new, native iOS feature, but my interest is piqued. I never had any luck using Litchi's screen record feature, but it may have been too much for my Air 2, so I don't want to blame Litchi...

I tested several scenarios yesterday using the new iOS 11 screen recording feature. This was with a P4 running the latest firmware versions on the copter and remote. I was running the latest version of GO4 with a 10.5" iPad Pro running iOS 11 as my device.

I did not notice any issues while screen recording and recording video to cache at the same time. In such instances, the screen recordings saved successfully into the Photos App, and the cached versions of the videos saved successfully into GO4's Editor. I also did not experience any noticeable 'lagging' on the device at any time.

What I did notice as a variable, was the audio recording. If I selected the audio recording option to be turned on in the screen recorder settings prior to beginning a recording, audio would be recorded through my device's mic until I started GO4, and then it would stop recording audio. Once GO4 was shut down, audio recording would resume. This occured whether or not I set GO4 to cache video with the audio cache option either turned on or off. If GO4's audio cache option was turned on - which is only available if GO4's video cache is turned on - it would record a session's audio regardless of my screen recorder settings.

So, what I found was that the audio recording function of iOS 11's screen recorder is not usable while running GO4, and the best setting for this is off unless one wished to record some commentary during the screen recording's portion prior to then opening GO4 . If you select video and audio cache turned on in GO4, as soon as the camera begins recording video, this video and audio will be recorded through the device's mic. If you then download the original video from the copter into your device through the GO4 editor, you will then have the original quality video along with the audio that recorded during cache. This audio timeline will be pretty close - but not exact - to your screen recorder timeline if you warm the copter up prior to opening GO4 and then start recording right away.

I also did a very brief test with my iPad Air 2, and it seemed to handle the workload of screen recording while performing video/audio cache. I have noticed that this device - which I recently performed a software refresh on - is beginning to show its age with the latest version of GO4 along with iOS 11. There is the occasional video lag here and there.

I did not get a chance to work with Litchi yet.

Overall, I think the iOS 11 screen recording feature is easy to use and useful, especially for folks who wish to add a frame shot and/or short clip of their GO4 - or other - settings during the timeline of a tutorial video.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94