Increased range of controller _ what about model ?

I'm glad that the topic is receiving good replies .... the items Bill links are interesting ... will be looked at against others ....

On the subject of power levels .... I believe CE is about 17db ? Significant difference to FCC 27db.

The Icarus software I have actually does change the power from CE to higher levels, recc'd not to go above FCC 27db but I see it can do 30db. As I understand it - Icarus does not cheat the Firmware by resetting the power level every few seconds, but actually is a constant fixed change.

I did use it for short period and seemed fine, but then reverted back to CE when I got my Windsurfer - as I wanted to check that out against stock .... worked good on control but of course Windsurfer makes no difference to video ....

Nigel

Reactions: chrislongley
I did use it for short period and seemed fine, but then reverted back to CE when I got my Windsurfer - as I wanted to check that out against stock .... worked good on control but of course Windsurfer makes no difference to video ....

Nigel[/QUOTE]

I never knew it doesn't help regarding video?

U.K. Side pushing the Phantom 4. Peace

Isn't the P2 controller the same as a P3S controller? I dunno, they look the same, but I never had a P2.

UPDATE: Oh I guess not. The P2 uses 2.4GHz for control. Same range though.

I think it better to stay with a single specific model - the P3S. That way no misinformation or wrong avenues can result.

Cheers
Nigel

Of course I have the Argtek to fit once I get home, maybe that will do the job. I have doubts though based on too many reports of poor range. Why ? Who knows. I hope my installation fairs better.
I love to hear what you think of them after you install it and fly with it.

I love this forum ...

One aspect of this forum is it is not run by DJI. Their forum is good but 'clinical' in its steering of issues that are against DJI.

Anyway - back to the topic. Weight and power of small boosters is now not such an issue.

My 'theory' is coming round to .... only fitting 5.8 booster to the controller, plus one 2.4 unit.
The aircraft in my opinion does not need a 5.8 booster, but maybe a better antenna. The main item here would be booster for the 2.4 signal. The 5.8 only has to basically receive instructions.

Mention has been made of the construction of signal. CSC and so on. Now correct me if wrong, but boosters amplify the carrier to get greater range. The data added to the carrier is there for the ride so to speak.

The more I look at this subject - the more intrigued I become.

Nigel

Yes the way I understand it your controller contains both a transmitter and receiver. It transmits at 5.8MHz and only transmits stick commands, waypoints, gimbal control, and commands like RTH, hover, and that is about it.

Your Phantom receives them but also transmits video and telemetry back on 2.4GHz. The receiver part of your controller 2.4GHz gets the video and telemetry stuff.

Boosters is a term that is sort of vague. As all it means is increasing the effective power either on the transmitter (TX) or receiver end (RX). And that could mean either more power (TX) or more amplification on the receiver (RX) end. One way for either is a directional antenna (at either end). The other way is by amplification. This increases range without the disadvantage of directional antennas. Although it uses more battery power for this method.

The stock 2.4 antenna are directional due to their plate design. The signal, ignoring lobe and shadow effects, will radiate like a fan instead of all directions. This is generally OK and can be better than the focused parabolic which requires care in direction.

Originally I looked at fitting stick antenna outside the controller case for the 2.4 and large Windsurfer type reflectors. This I think would work but could be nearly as ugly as the DBs box !

With internal 2.4 plates removed - I think there is room inside for the small boosters now available. Both 5.8 and 2.4.

For the aircraft ? Care needs to be in positioning any replacement antenna to avoid shadowing. The booster can be easily fitted I think, just the cable run to tidy.

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT