In plain English please...the difference between atti and P modes

In P-mode, your Phantom will hold its horizontal position automatically by using the location data from its internal GPS receiver.

In A-mode (ATTI), your Phantom will not attempt to hold its horizontal position. It will drift with the wind when the sticks are in the center position.

Check out the "Flight Mode" section of the Phantom 4 manual for more details on the various flight modes.

In P-mode, your Phantom will hold its horizontal position automatically by using the location data from its internal GPS receiver.

In A-mode (ATTI), your Phantom will not attempt to hold its horizontal position. It will drift with the wind when the sticks are in the center position.

Check out the "Flight Mode" section of the Phantom 4 manual for more details on the various flight modes.
Why would I want it to drift?

Some people find they can get smooth video shots while their Phantom slowly drifts in ATTI mode. Or you could manually switch to ATTI to learn how to fly without the assistance of GPS.

There can be some cinematic reasons such as drifting past an object for a smoother shot rather than fighting the wind. Perhaps the miain thing is ATTI is the mode it goes into if you loose satellites. So you may find yourself in ATTI mode by circumstance. That’s why it good to practice flying in ATTI mode.

Geo

It might not be something that you want but you can find your Phantom in atti mode without flipping the flight mode switch.
If you launch from somewhere without GPS due to terrain, tree cover, indoors etc, without GPS your Phantom is going to be in atti mode.
It will still be quite flyable but without position holding.
You can launch and fly up past the obstacles that block GPS and have GPS out in the open.

Plus ATTI mode is handy for a fast getaway like if a bird is chasing it. I played in ATTI mode for the first ever time this week. Been flying for 18 months but I really gave it a shot, went through two batteries and enjoyed every minute of it. Still confused tho if ATTI mode disables RTH if signal is lost as GPS is now disabled

Reactions: K Henry
A “collateral” secondary benefit of ATTI mode is the possibility to use this mode to measure real wind velocity at a determinate altitude. If you take off in GPS mode and rise vertically up to 100 ft (or any other altitude), your Phantom will try to maintain its position with GPS satellites’ signal, thus indicating a horizontal speed 0.0 mph (or m/s or km/h). After checking that there are no obstacles in its path, you can change mode from P to ATTI: the aircraft will drift with the existing wind and you can see how the numbers in the horizontal speed indicator start to increase from the initial zero value. In a few seconds, such number will stabilise, indicating then the wind speed at that altitude. Do not let the drone drifting alone for a long time, specially if the wind is strong. After checking that wind speed at your scheduled flight altitude is under limits, you can fly with the confidence that it will be possible to go back home against that wind.

A “collateral” secondary benefit of ATTI mode is the possibility to use this mode to measure real wind velocity at a determinate altitude. If you take off in GPS mode and rise vertically up to 100 ft (or any other altitude), your Phantom will try to maintain its position with GPS satellites’ signal, thus indicating a horizontal speed 0.0 mph (or m/s or km/h). After checking that there are no obstacles in its path, you can change mode from P to ATTI: the aircraft will drift with the existing wind and you can see how the numbers in the horizontal speed indicator start to increase from the initial zero value. In a few seconds, such number will stabilise, indicating then the wind speed at that altitude. Do not let the drone drifting alone for a long time, specially if the wind is strong. After checking that wind speed at your scheduled flight altitude is under limits, you can fly with the confidence that it will be possible to go back home against that wind.
Best answer...you must be a teacher! Thanks for helping this ol timer.

Reactions: DJI_Stunt_Pilot
Still confused tho if ATTI mode disables RTH if signal is lost as GPS is now disabled
If you select Atti Mode, the GPS is not disabled.
It continues to provide location and speed data but the Flight Controller does not use GPS data for position holding.
If you are flying in atti mode and the Phantom has satellite reception, on losing signal it would use GPS to RTH.
If you lost GPS due to a compass error etc, or were flying where GPS is not available (in a canyon etc), the Phantom would not be able to RTH because it needs GPS to know where it is how to get home.

If you select Atti Mode, the GPS is not disabled.
It continues to provide location and speed data but the Flight Controller does not use GPS data for position holding.
If you are flying in atti mode and the Phantom has satellite reception, on losing signal it would use GPS to RTH.
If you lost GPS due to a compass error etc, or were flying where GPS is not available (in a canyon etc), the Phantom would not be able to RTH because it needs GPS to know where it is how to get home.
Cheers meta
Will do my next flight in ATTI mode, if it loses signal and RTH kicks in, will ATTI mode then be switched to P-mode automatically?

Cheers meta
Will do my next fde switch to atti modelight in ATTI mode, if it loses signal and RTH kicks in, will ATTI mode then be switched to P-mode automatically?
Do a simple test in a large open area with no obstacles to cause problems.
Flick the flight mode switch to Atti mode and fly the Phantom 100 feet out.
Switch the controller off and watch the magic.

Also, the Phantom will hold its altitude regardless of selected mode. It uses the Barometer to maintain its altitude.
I don't know about the P4 but this was not true with the P2. ATTI mode allowed it to lean over more for faster speed BUT it also slowly lost altitude. Of course this is controlled by firmware and I may be talking about a much older version on a much older model.

Geo

I don't know about the P4 but this was not true with the P2. ATTI mode allowed it to lean over more for faster speed BUT it also slowly lost altitude. Of course this is controlled by firmware and I may be talking about a much older version on a much older model.

Geo

I still fly my P2-NV and I have not experienced this.
It’s possible you experienced some sensor drift?
Some variation occurs due to this but I would not describe it as anything more.

Also, the Phantom will hold its altitude regardless of selected mode. It uses the Barometer to maintain its altitude.
Now I understand completely! What does the acronym stand for...Will make it complete.

Now I understand completely! What does the acronym stand for...Will make it complete.

You referring to ‘Atti’?

If so, it’s just short for ‘Attitude’.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl