IMU Calibration of New Standard?

Reaction score
Just purchased a new P3 standard as a backup to my 4K. Needed a compass calibration as per Go app. Never asked for a IMU cal. flew just fine. Do I need to do this in a new unit even though its not requested by the app?
Thanks

You can check it on the same page as for doing the Cal.

You can't hurt it by doing one either IMO.

Always calibrate the compass before every flight, nor needed but recommended if flying in same site a lot. I would calibrate the IMU after you get it, or during your test site or your first flight.

Always calibrate the compass before every flight, nor needed but recommended if flying in same site a lot. I would calibrate the IMU after you get it, or during your test site or your first flight.
"Always calibrate the compass before every flight, nor needed but recommended if flying in same site a lot."
I disagree ;)

Rod

"Always calibrate the compass before every flight, nor needed but recommended if flying in same site a lot."
I disagree ;)

Rod
I'm no you sure what you mean. So I shouldn't calibrate my compass if I go to submility Oregon? Most of my winter flying is there. It's like 39 miles from my house.
Sorry but I disagree about your disagreement.

Reactions: RodPad
I never re-calibrate the compass, I fly in the same locations most of the time and never had any issues, now if I took a trip hundred or so miles away I would calibrate the compass but flying locally I don't see the need to.

I know some other drones like some Hubsan models require you to do a Calibration every flight, I don't know if it doesn't save it or what but as far as I know you don't have to with the Phantom.

Last edited:
I only do a compass and IMU cal when installing new FW, that's it. And if I traveled hundreds of mile away, than maybe a compass cal.

Last edited:
I'm no you sure what you mean. So I shouldn't calibrate my compass if I go to submility Oregon? Most of my winter flying is there. It's like 39 miles from my house.
Sorry but I disagree about your disagreement.
I agree I think :)

Rod

@Brayan2134

Hey guy, I have been sick since Friday.
Just getting back to life again.
Been getting snow here, you probably saw on the news the I-84 being closed for day or two from here to Portland. I'm use to these winters, but not when I'm sick.

Wasn't sure if you had caught this link on post #4.

I think it something that everybody should read, weather whether they believe it or not. ;)
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

I think,
@eatpasta
Is going ride his Dirt Bike up this with his Flying Fountain of Flame and clear a path. :)
Interference errors?

Rod

I calibrate the IMU and compass after every FW update. I also calibrate the compass whenever I'm flying in a new location, even if it's only a few miles away. There's no reason not to, and it only takes a few seconds anyway.

Been doing it this way since I've had the Phantom and haven't had any issues with the IMU or compass to date.

I calibrate the IMU and compass after every FW update. I also calibrate the compass whenever I'm flying in a new location, even if it's only a few miles away. There's no reason not to, and it only takes a few seconds anyway.

Been doing it this way since I've had the Phantom and haven't had any issues with the IMU or compass to date.
Pretty much the same thing, but I only recalibrate if I'm going to a different county or state. Really don't see the need to do a new compass calibration if you're only going to be a few miles away. I do disagree that there's no downside to that, as the more times you redo a calibration the odds of getting a bad compass calibration will increase. So therefore if you have a good compass calibration there's absolutely no need to redo it because you're going 5 or 10 miles down the road.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Pretty much the same thing I do but I only recalibrate if I'm going to a different county or state. Really don't see the need to do a new compass calibration if you're only going to be a few miles away. I do disagree that there's no downside to that, as the more times you redo a calibration the odds of getting a bad compass calibration will increase. So therefore if you have a good compass calibration there's absolutely no need to redo it because you're going 5 or 10 miles down the road.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Hmm, I suppose you do have a point there. Nevertheless, I've always calibrated at every different location and haven't had an issue with it, so that's what I'll continue to do, but by all means everyone do what they think is best.

Yes, as I leaned reading so many posts on CD.

If it's not __ok_, then do_'_ fix it.

Just fill in the blanks!
Do you get it? :)

Rod

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak