improving RC range

Reaction score
Hello. New here. New to flying the vision+

I got mine with a FPVLR stage 2 but I'm finding that Im not getting much past 1000' distance. I'm thinking that I'm losing line-of-sight.

I don't plan to go past 3000' altitutude. Would a good omnidirectional 5.8ghz be a good option?

Hello. New here. New to flying the vision+
Would a good omnidirectional 5.8ghz be a good option?
Please keep an eye on my new REDbird 5.8ghz RC Repeater Device.
I will going to KickStarter in June.

This system separates ground control and uplink points.
Set in your car or in a shaded area while you fly.

A P3 or Inspire 1 cannot fly into place where a REDbird equipped P2V+ can.

Please keep an eye on my new REDbird 5.8ghz RC Repeater Device.
I will going to KickStarter in June.

This system separates ground control and uplink points.
Set in your car or in a shaded area while you fly.

A P3 or Inspire 1 cannot fly into place where a REDbird equipped P2V+ can.

Hey garrock, are you here to help or just market your stuff?
Your signature is still obnoxious.

Welcome to the forum imsmooth.
It's rare that we have salesmen tripping people as they walk in the door. :rolleyes:

As for the signature.. any suggestions?

Here is what our forum rules say about signatures. There is quite a bit of interesting reading in the rules.

"Signature, Avatar, Profile and Account Standards

Community Standards apply to all sections and features of the website including avatar and profile images, signatures, usernames and other account features.

Signatures must be setup in your profile rather than manually added to your messages. They will appear at the bottom of every post you make.
Signatures should be kept to a maximum of three lines (including blank lines) and contain no more than one link.
Signature may not include email addresses, links to competing websites, invitations to contact or a sales pitch.
Signatures must follow our forums posting standards and only one line may be bold."

Reactions: dirkclod
What is boring? My signature or the video ?

Yes. I have both a P2V+ and a P2 that fly and work together as a system.

The P2 carries both repeaters for the P2V+. You know, the white DJI repeater that was assumed to be left attached to your DJI White Controller. And, the new REDbird 5.8ghz RC Repeater.​

My posts have been directly related to: "Improving RC Range". You chose to initiate making opinion about my signature and marketing in this thread. At least my signature is now boring and not obnoxious anymore; thanks. I admit, I've been over zealous with my project results. All that could have exchanged in a private message.

The information I've tried to covey has been directly related to Improving RC Range.
I'd like to talk about that more than my corrected signature.

Do you have any comments or statements about the how I suggest Improving RC Range ?

images4HKE7OJ0.jpg
.. What happened to Imsmooth :confused: Try setting your Preview Quality lower if high and keep anything from being between you and your bird . Have used the same antennas like you and have gotten way more distance ! You have to be pretty spot on with your aiming with them also .

Good quote from the Rules Wy. :cool:

Reactions: IflyinWY
What the ???
Talking about and sharing our accomplishments... Isn't that the spirit of this forum?

imsmooth... I do not know what to say. I really do have something to share. And it works extremely well. It is not a sell-able product yet. That is a few months away... just first article prototypes so far. I'm willing to share a few of those to let others experience what it can do.

What the ???
Talking about and sharing our accomplishments... Isn't that the spirit of this forum?

imsmooth... I do not know what to say. I really do have something to share. And it works extremely well. It is not a sell-able product yet. That is a few months away... just first article prototypes so far. I'm willing to share a few of those to let others experience what it can do.
blank stare.png
Wow

Garrock you seem to have scared imsmooth away. I'm not surprised. :rolleyes:

What is boring? My signature or the video ?

Yes. I have both a P2V+ and a P2 that fly and work together as a system.

The P2 carries both repeaters for the P2V+. You know, the white DJI repeater that was assumed to be left attached to your DJI White Controller. And, the new REDbird 5.8ghz RC Repeater.​

An established user calls you out on your blatant, non-stop thinly-disguised advertising pitch, and you respond with more sales spiel?

Hilarous :D

I've been watching (the thread). Always watching...

I've gotten home late from work over the last several days so I have not had a chance to try flying again. I'm listening to the suggestions.

I'm up for making technical modifications if needed. Just so you all know I'm up to the challenger here is a video of some of the stuff I've done.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have no problem adding transmitters to the bird. However, I would prefer a simpler solution like using the correct antenna. I have a helical one as I stated in the beginning, which I've read should give some good results.

How are people flying their drones up over 3000' if you are suppose to use "line-of-sight"? Even my vision is not that good.

BTW, I am looking forward to putting up some youtube videos using my drone!

sorry imsmooth

What is this new technology???

How is this different than HAM repeaters on balloons?

A second airborne drone ups the complexity and costs.

You know folks.. I admitted I was over-zealous sharing the things I've been doing. And I corrected my signature.
They were related to "Improving RC range." ... including talk about my "two birds".

Please forgive me for more digression imsmooth but your message thread appears to now have two purposes for some.

Time-Line:
I asked IflyWY for suggestions and changed my signature.
*** But what I did not do is delete or change my previous posts leaving a distorted time-line of what had transpired.

IflyinWY... you deleted your posts about how my signature changed from being "obnoxious" to then saying it was "boring" after I asked for help to change it. Then you posted that we should all deleted the non-relevant stuff posted in this message thread.

*** Then you deleted a few of your posts above that point and left others; including your post stating we should all delete the non-relevant stuff.

Then dirkclod steps in to add to the digression-talk with an Ostrich picture. Perhaps if he saw IflyWY's deleted posts his response would have been something otherwise.

Then overnight two posters from across the Big Pond chime in not seeing the entire message thread time-line leaving their distaste for what remaining they saw.​

---------------------

IflyinWY... You asked me about my "two birds" but deleted your post. I gave you my honest report and feedback about them. That is related to imsmooth's improving RC range message thread.

------------------------

Lesson for me:
Pay attention to the details of the forum rules on signatures. Don't let my default nature being an open and free-thinker talking about new technology (regardless if it is my tech or not) offend ones who are on the look out for product-selling hucksters to call out.​

What actions I will take to correct:
I will ask Jacob for advertisement space when the time comes.
I will tone down my excitement for what I've been slaving over for the past year.
I will tone down seeking people who might want to evaluate, for free, something I feel could drastically help improve RC range.

Last edited:
What is this new technology???

How is this different than HAM repeaters on balloons?

A second airborne drone ups the complexity and costs.

N017RW... I would like to share more but I am reluctant to respond. If it is OK with imsmooth.. I will.

Sincerely,
Garrock... aka Gary Daniels, Columbus Ohio... aka KCPMLP radio call sign.

N017RW... I would like to share more but I am reluctant to respond. If it is OK with imsmooth.. I will.

Sincerely,
Garrock... aka Gary Daniels, Columbus Ohio... aka KCPMLP radio call sign.

I'll pass then.

Not interested in getting involved with such petty issues and people.

I've been watching (the thread). Always watching...

I've gotten home late from work over the last several days so I have not had a chance to try flying again. I'm listening to the suggestions.

I'm up for making technical modifications if needed. Just so you all know I'm up to the challenger here is a video of some of the stuff I've done.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have no problem adding transmitters to the bird. However, I would prefer a simpler solution like using the correct antenna. I have a helical one as I stated in the beginning, which I've read should give some good results.

How are people flying their drones up over 3000' if you are suppose to use "line-of-sight"? Even my vision is not that good.

BTW, I am looking forward to putting up some youtube videos using my drone!
o_O I took the altitude statement in your OP as just a mistake on your part but see now it must have just been bait !
Been over 5000' out with stage 2's so I thought ya might have really had a problem .
Thanks for sharing the video and good luck to ya.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31