Improved GPS reception?

BlackTracer said:
Is it necessary to cover such a large area like I see people doing? When I look at mine, I see the small factory shield has a copper layer and it covers the entire antenna. Seems to me either tucking the cable under the existing shield, or just placing a small elongated shield over the cable should do the trick? Am I wrong about this?
Probably not wrong [emoji2]

If I had it to do over again I would probably just try covering the cable.

BlackTracer said:
Is it necessary to cover such a large area like I see people doing? When I look at mine, I see the small factory shield has a copper layer and it covers the entire antenna. Seems to me either tucking the cable under the existing shield, or just placing a small elongated shield over the cable should do the trick? Am I wrong about this?
Try just sheilding the cable and let us know !

Yes, i think shielding the cable is what does the trick. When i did the 180 dgr turn to shield the cable instead of letting it be exposed to the rest of the electronics i got a vast improvement. I do recommend doing this first befor adding a lot of foil to shield everything. I went from 6-7 sats to 9-10 by doing the 180 turn of the existing shield pad to cover most of the cable. Keep as littele cable as possible exposed.

So I did a foil mod last night. I used some aluminum tape I had for HVAC ducts. I first tried it just wrapping the cable in the tape followed by blue painters tape to insulate it. I took it outside in my driveway where I have limited view of the sky and it made no discernible difference. So I brought it back in and opened it up again, and removed what I had done. I then laid the cable across the factory shield and covered the factory shield and cable with the foil tape followed by a layer of painters tape for insulation. I did not extend the mod shield past the edges of the factory shield. So a short section of the cable, probably a half inch of cable plus the connector is free. I took it outside in the driveway again, and again could not detect any difference. So I took it out in a large open field where I often fly and it made no difference that I could tell.

Now I did not have any trouble getting sats before this so that is probably why I could not tell any difference. At this time for me, this mod appears to do nothing.

I think that the difference is more noticeable when the Phantom is in a spot with difficult conditions, like where I am : the shielding made a HUGE improvement ;)

BlackTracer said:
So I did a foil mod last night. I used some aluminum tape I had for HVAC ducts. I first tried it just wrapping the cable in the tape followed by blue painters tape to insulate it. I took it outside in my driveway where I have limited view of the sky and it made no discernible difference. So I brought it back in and opened it up again, and removed what I had done. I then laid the cable across the factory shield and covered the factory shield and cable with the foil tape followed by a layer of painters tape for insulation. I did not extend the mod shield past the edges of the factory shield. So a short section of the cable, probably a half inch of cable plus the connector is free. I took it outside in the driveway again, and again could not detect any difference. So I took it out in a large open field where I often fly and it made no difference that I could tell.

Now I did not have any trouble getting sats before this so that is probably why I could not tell any difference. At this time for me, this mod appears to do nothing.

I had the same outcome . However when the foil tape was installed I did notice the top got much warmer than before.
I believe this may lead to problems with failed gps chips due to higher heat as heat and electronics don't go together

If you cover the vents, it will become warmer.

Mori55 said:
Mine worked great and I didn't notice the top getting any warmer.

I think they notice it getting warmer from the phantom being stationary.
The phantom will warm up if sitting still without the props spinning. The phantom uses the props to cool itself down via the vents.

Mako79 said:
Mori55 said:
Mine worked great and I didn't notice the top getting any warmer.

I think they notice it getting warmer from the phantom being stationary.
The phantom will warm up if sitting still without the props spinning. The phantom uses the props to cool itself down via the vents.

No im talking aboat after a flight,
the phantom top shell is very warm compared to the same flight before i tried the foil over gps

How is yours warm when theirs so many of us without that problem ? I put my sheilding in pretty snug with light packing tape over it.
Did you use electrical or heavy duct tape to insulate it ?

Depends on the material & tape used?
I've been thinking about using aluminum screen instead of foil or tape. I've been thinking aluminum screen blocks enough or better than foil

Mori55 said:
How is yours warm when theirs so many of us without that problem ? I put my sheilding in pretty snug with light packing tape over it.
Did you use electrical or heavy duct tape to insulate it ?

I uses alum duct foil tape and brown 3m packing tape over . I took back off as it did nothing for me and made it warmer

I used aluminum foil from ze Home Depot. I threw down a layer of thin plastic packing tape over it to insulate it. Works like a champ.

I think the problem is the wifi unit in the vision plus, because the GPS cable goes right over it and on it.
I have the mod also on one vision plus, on the other vision plus (the black one) I have only turn the cable and aluminium tape on the little cable end.
So I wil test the difference between the two mod's one of these days. (If there is a difference) ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 369
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 397
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 374
OK I tested it :

the mod with :
(the turned cable and aluminium foil all over the GPS and the cable)

VS

the mod with :
(the turned cable with aluminium foil on only the cable)

http://youtu.be/yIY4WCfZUoE

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl