Improved GPS reception?

When I opened my vision to do this mod, I see the lead going to the leg mounted compass also comes out from under the shield. Appears this mod is for both Vision & V+, what am I missing ??

kymedic121 said:
I found the 3M adhesive Aluminum sheets like were used in the video very inexpensively. So I will be using that and the Mylar tape over the top of it to prevent any possible short circuit or conduction issues. What I like about it is that its not a permanent mod and could be easily removed prior to sending to DJI for needed repairs.

Where did you find the 3m sheets? I've been looking high and low online and can't find it anywhere.

CD

Clydesdale said:
kymedic121 said:
I found the 3M adhesive Aluminum sheets like were used in the video very inexpensively. So I will be using that and the Mylar tape over the top of it to prevent any possible short circuit or conduction issues. What I like about it is that its not a permanent mod and could be easily removed prior to sending to DJI for needed repairs.

Where did you find the 3m sheets? I've been looking high and low online and can't find it anywhere.

CD

in the UK you can get a self adhesive sheet of foil from B&Q ( not 3M ) it is in the kitchen workshop section and is used to stick under worktop to protect the bottom from steam/water vapour above dishwashers and i guess ovens too. it is folded into a wrapper about 6x8 inches but is about £16 ! not the cheapest product and excessive quantity for a phantom. a roll of foil tape 2 inches wide would be a better option and probably cheaper too

cahutch said:
There's already shielding over the GPS and I don't see how this could do any good unless it was grounded.

In any case I have no problem staying connected to 9-12 satellites on my unmodified P2V+

Even when you turn on the camera?

It really helps :
Left with mod, right without the mod (not grounded) :cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 616
cahutch said:
M.Tigelaar said:
Even when you turn on the camera?
Yeah. I'm always recording while I'm flying and never have a problem getting a lock on at least 9 satellites and usually 10-12 while flying.

Then you're one of the few who do not get fewer satellites during recording :mrgreen:

Well, I don't know if I get fewer, but if I do, I still have enough.

Update: I just tested this.
Powered on the Phantom and timed how long 'till I got the home lock green flash. 32 seconds.
By the time I got connected to WiFi and into the App 46 seconds later, I had 7 satellites. 8 satellites 5 seconds after that.

I started and stopped recoding video while watching the sat lock. My number of satellites varied between 7 and 9. Sometimes it looked as though I dropped a satellite when I started recoding but more often than not the number didn't change. I was just as likely to drop a satellite or gain one when the camera was idle or when it was recording. Satellites move, you gain some you lose some but I couldn't say with any certainty that camera activity made any difference.

FWIW my P2V+ is brand new as of Friday the 19th and came with the latest firmware.

According to http://satpredictor.navcomtech.com/ I should have been able to see only 6 or 7 at the time of day I did the test.

kymedic121 said:
srandall25 said:
haha... in the process of looking for tape.. I found this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bird-B-Gone- ... /202347479

Bird deterrent Flash tape... I've been having a huge problem with birds lately... I wonder if putting this on the outside of the phantom in just a couple of spots would make any difference....

This is what I found to use as the shield inside the top shell to shield the GPS Antenna. As far as Bird deterrent I would make certain to not put any on top of the aircraft as this may cause a reduction in GPS signal.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SILHOUETTE-Prin ... 3ccaa41ac6
This looks like great stuff but, having seen many all plastic materials that have a shiny metallic like appearance, I send the following query to their Customer Support:
"Are the printable silver foil sheets actually made with foil metal or is it all plastic material made to look like silver foil? "
Their response:
"The Printable Silver Foil is a plastic material made to look like Silver Foil.
Let us know if we can assist you further.
Silhouette Support Team
[email protected]"
So, I guess this stuff won't help our cause?

Why not just go to a hardware store and get aluminum duct tape ?? Then cover it with packing tape. Seems like it works the best.
I don't get it , this stuff is available pretty much any hardware store or heating Ac supply.
Why screw around emailing etc and just get the tape ?

The foil looks like it's the go for improving GPS sat. aquiring, so how do you think it will work if put on the underside to stop/reduce the noise from the camera???

Mori55 said:
Why not just go to a hardware store and get aluminum duct tape ?? Then cover it with packing tape. Seems like it works the best.
I don't get it , this stuff is available pretty much any hardware store or heating Ac supply.
Why screw around emailing etc and just get the tape ?
1. The foil is thinner and lighter.
2. It's one piece instead of kluging multiple pieces together.
3. I'd rather not "screw around" driving to the store. in 30 seconds, and a few clicks, it's on its way to my front door.

Even if you don't get it, there is more than one good way to implement this mod.

Type in Aluclad model aeroplane stores have it.

Photogd said:
Does this mod good for phantom 1?

I have one too and wondering the same thing. You P2 guys, is it the wifi stuff that's causing you to lose satellites, or what? Because us old schoolers don't have that problem.

I'm assuming that it couldn't hurt. We don't really have a way to see how many satellites we're hooked up to though. I don't know. I've never had a problem with mine as it sits, so I don't think I'm going to mess with it.

It looks like DJI has made changes since this video was taken. There are now 3 layers of foam with 2 copper shields:

Instead of a cut through top the top, there is a little slit for the cable. I still moved the cable under, but it seems at othe rpostiion, there is some pressure (the lid does not sit flush without downward pressure). So others experience this?

I am doing testing but am not very hopeful for improvement given shielding was already in place on my unit. Anyone else have a similar? I added some shield up to the end of arms since it was open anyhow.

Attachments

• photo 2 (7).JPG
    photo 2 (7).JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 510
  • photo 1 (6).JPG
    photo 1 (6).JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 507
jarrah31 said:
Mine was like yours with the 3 layers, but I still saw an improvement after applying the foil: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19099&start=70#p180517

Yes there was extra pressure closing the lid, but I was careful nothing was trapped or bent whilst closing.

Same here, I used alu tape and black electricians tape to isolate it. Works like a charm. Before I was unable to hold 5 sats in my back yard, now I get 7 no problems. On my trip to France it held 11 to 13 sats constantly

-David

Bear in mind that at any given time and any given geo coordinates, varying number of sats will be available....(also new to me).......

satpredictor.navcomtech.com shows clearly your optimum sat count at any given time....since I have used this site, I have had no issues.........that is not to say that the "mods" don't help, but sometimes in a given location, there are just not enough sats visible to fly regardless of the mods.........the DJI needs 6 to get a lock.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj