Improved GPS reception?

varmint said:
Just throwing this out there, but you could always do what I did and purchase a combined GPS/Compass from a Naza "Lite" and mount it externally. It's 100% compatible and there's simply no interference this way. Just remove the internal GPS and plug in the puck. The assistant may ask for an IMU calibration, but after that it's all smooth sailing.

GPS locks are fast, tight and stable, and the compass works beautifully. As you can see, I have an aftermarket landing gear which I modified to fit a P2V+, but there's no need to worry about compass mounting on the leg because it's all part of the combined GPS unit.

I went the elaborate route by snipping off the stock molex on the puck's cable, shortened it, and ran it through a grommet in the rear of the top shell, and then soldered on a new molex. That's much more elaborate than necessary though, as one could simply make a small cutout in the top shell and use the entire stock, intact cable without modification.

On the vision (original) there's only the one GPS port. On the Vision+ there are separate compass and GPS ports, but the GPS port still accepts compass signals through the GPS port, so it works fine on either flavor and probably works fine on a non vision as well.

Naza GPS/Compass Puck $100: http://www.banggood.com/DJI-NAZA-Lite-V ... 86239.html
Perfect GPS locks - priceless.

Thats interesting I did not relies it contained the compass as well.
I ordered one last week and I am expecting it any day now.

ircphoenix said:
9 dollar roll of HVAC tape vs $100 GPS module+cutting shell... Hmmmm...

Yea,

That module/puck may not really be a step up. Not saying you won't see some improvement but It's only advantage is likely increased separation from the a/c by it's stalk. It's the same GPS engine in fact and may not have some of the antenna filtering the P2 GPS board has.

There's a couple of mod threads on RCGroups where they are adding saw filters, ferrite beads, toroid donuts to the cable, and foil to the bottom of the puck housing (sound familiar).

Here's one (there are others):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1863430

I've talked to DJI tech while back and he told me that Vision+ is running Naza-M v2 & Naza Lite puck is not compatible.
I think puck is not going to make huge GPS reception improvement but finding the signal & brining compass to the open may be the pros

I've always been convinced that the number one variable in "fly aways" or other LOC (loss of control) incidents has been lost GPS reception. While there are a myriad of other causes (bad battery causing a premature auto-land, motor/esc failure, loose connection, interference, etc), loss of GPS signal is what most concerned me.

BAM! This post put those fears to bed. I folded over several sheets of plain aluminum foil, bonded paper to it, cut it out by tracing the phantom body and placed. Viola... much faster GPS acquisition and higher satellite count.

Thank you very much.

Onezerosix141 said:
I've talked to DJI tech while back and he told me that Vision+ is running Naza-M v2 & Naza Lite puck is not compatible.
I think puck is not going to make huge GPS reception improvement but finding the signal & brining compass to the open may be the pros

Yeah, I don't think whoever you talked to knew what the hell he was talking about. I've used both Naza lite and Naza M GPS units mounted externally, and they both work fine. The firmware doesn't see any difference and the protocols are identical. They are not "better" GPS units, they are the SAME GPS units. Use addition shielding, or mount it externally - both approaches achieve the same result; better reception.

varmint said:
Onezerosix141 said:

Yeah, I don't think whoever you talked to knew what the hell he was talking about. I've used both Naza lite and Naza M GPS units mounted externally, and they both work fine. The firmware doesn't see any difference and the protocols are identical. They are not "better" GPS units, they are the SAME GPS units. Use addition shielding, or mount it externally - both approaches achieve the same result; better reception.
Perhaps they just want to sell more Naza-M v2? :)
But it's good to hear. Since Lite puck is cheaper

I just read this but Naza Lite GPS puck is not compatible with Naza-M v2's PMU & led/bec I guess I misread the e-mail

Onezerosix141 said:
I just read this but Naza Lite GPS puck is not compatible with Naza-M v2's PMU & led/bec I guess I misread the e-mail

THAT may be true (can't verify), but there is no problem using the lite GPS with a Phantom FC. There are definitely differences between the "real" M (v2) FC and the Phantom FC. The LED port on the M is not compatible with the ESC LEDs on the Phantom, and the Phantom also doesn't support PWM. The latter restriction is based entirely on DJI going out of their way to artificially disable it.

srandall25 said:
haha... in the process of looking for tape.. I found this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bird-B-Gone- ... /202347479

Bird deterrent Flash tape... I've been having a huge problem with birds lately... I wonder if putting this on the outside of the phantom in just a couple of spots would make any difference....

I think the birds would only be deterred if you put the foil on the outside of the Phantom.

I was so happy to read this post and left everything aside just to do it and test it right away, and boy, I was so disappointed to see no change whatsoever. I am sure it works for others and would recommend it but for me, nothing. I went for the complete solution including reversing the flat cable and covering everything with aluminum foil and blue tape so now have no clue how to improve the situation.

As before, I take off from my back yard which is quite open and have to wait at least 10 minutes before I get 6-7 sats. Even when taking off I can't get more than that.

You should have quite good coverage unless you are in a mountainous area, this is Tel Aviv.

DO you have an iPhone or android device ?

With android there is a gps application that gets actual data of what it sees in your location assuming you have a gps enabled device.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 12.06.39.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 12.06.39.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 374
Geeber said:
Has anyone tried this? Just came across this and it seems like a simple mod.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q31s6NDFUlA[/youtube]

I think the only improvement in GPS signal is by putting the cable under the existing shield. What are you protecting by putting aluminum foil or whatever next to the plastic Shell?

RedBaron said:
Geeber said:
Has anyone tried this? Just came across this and it seems like a simple mod.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q31s6NDFUlA[/youtube]

I think the only improvement in GPS signal is by putting the cable under the existing shield. What are you protecting by putting aluminum foil or whatever next to the plastic Shell?

I have tested it with 2 Visions plus
Reed this please (it is page 8 of this tread ;) )
And see the link to you tube.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19402&start=70#p217336

robinb said:
You should have quite good coverage unless you are in a mountainous area, this is Tel Aviv.

DO you have an iPhone or android device ?

With android there is a gps application that gets actual data of what it sees in your location assuming you have a gps enabled device.
I can't seem to find this app in the play store. Do you have a link to it?

Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl