Image quality 24 vs 30p (h265)?

P3P 4K video is 60 Mb/s and the file system splits files at 4 GB i.e. at about each 9 minutes.

I often forget to start a brand new video clip just before starting a longish Litchi mission. I then have to try to hide the few dropped frames at the 9 minute break point. I haven't found a perfect solution but I have added 2+2 frames to both sides of the clip breakpoint with Final Cut so the split point does not seem so jerky.
On my P4P, switching to H.264 completely solved it for me. Your P3P probably doesn’t have H.265 so I guess that wouldn’t be your issue.

And that's where the polarizers come in. Gotta keep the exposure from blowing up!
Love this clip about frame rates, now is very clear to me the why and the what for of frame rate choices. I think 30fps and 60fps are ok if your doing faster flying shots etc for a particular affect, but is using faster fps simply trying to fix another problem, which is simply compensating for poor film making skills? . What I do see to often is people using drones for TV shows or documentaries, is the over doing it with the moving in and out, panning and acceding and descending shots are very often much to fast. This is poor film making and it take away from what the objective is where the focus of the shot gets lost in "the art of the tool" . The rules of good film making should still apply. eg always pan slowly, limit zooming in and out to a comfortable level etc. Ive even coined a new phrase for this over doing it with drone movements during filming when it becomes "overdroned"!

Reactions: Northern Canadian
Love this clip about frame rates, now is very clear to me the why and the what for of frame rate choices. I think 30fps and 60fps are ok if your doing faster flying shots etc for a particular affect, but is using faster fps simply trying to fix another problem, which is simply compensating for poor film making skills? . What I do see to often is people using drones for TV shows or documentaries, is the over doing it with the moving in and out, panning and acceding and descending shots are very often much to fast. This is poor film making and it take away from what the objective is where the focus of the shot gets lost in "the art of the tool" . The rules of good film making should still apply. eg always pan slowly, limit zooming in and out to a comfortable level etc. Ive even coined a new phrase for this over doing it with drone movements during filming when it becomes "overdroned"!
It's clear there are people here who are in to flying and others who are in to photography and video. I agree that film making is an art and the drone is just another piece of camera support just like the tripod, mono-pod, steady-cam, jib arm, dolly, you name it. And yes the drone can be over-used.

Back in the early days of corporate video production there was a hot item in many edit bays known as ADO which was an acronym for Ampeg Digital Optcs. Flying graphics, picture-in-picture, spins, text were everywhere. Editors tended to over-use the effects to the point it became so annoying you couldn't watch anymore. But I guess it impressed clients!

I do notice more drone shots these days, especially on the real estate programs like "House Hunters" on HGTV. I have to admit most of it is tastefully applied.

...Flying graphics, picture-in-picture, spins, text were everywhere. Editors tended to over-use the effects to the point it became so annoying you couldn't watch anymore. But I guess it impressed clients!

Don’t forget page curls. ;)

Reactions: LarBear360
I was wondering, the bitrate is fixed at 100Mbps, is it safe to assume that 24p gives more detail than 30p? It should leave 20% more room for detail for every frame...

24 FPS gives you more motion blur. It's a different "look," used mostly for film.

An experienced DP really nailed it down to this: 24 FPS for fiction, 30 FPS for non-fiction. Exceptions can be made, but that's a good general rule of thumb.

Regarding h.265, unless you're doing some really pro film industry stuff, I would avoid that codec for now.

Reactions: With The Birds
Keep in mind that for decades now 24p has been used for movies and 29.97 has been used for news and soap operas. That certainly helps train our eyes to see 24p as a more cinematic/fiction feel. Personally I can't stand 30fps but I also don't ever use pans in my drone videos so the choppiness of 24fps isn't an issue. They just look amateurish to me. I know it's totally in my brain. o_O

Reactions: With The Birds
24 FPS gives you more motion blur. It's a different "look," used mostly for film.

An experienced DP really nailed it down to this: 24 FPS for fiction, 30 FPS for non-fiction. Exceptions can be made, but that's a good general rule of thumb.

Regarding h.265, unless you're doing some really pro film industry stuff, I would avoid that codec for now.
:
... I often shoot very slow stuff, flying high or moving slow around the target, I thought about these situations.
Since this remark, all discussion on being "cinematic", etc. is meaningless to me... I could even speed up the video to 48p in post, it would still look normal.

:

Since this remark, all discussion on being "cinematic", etc. is meaningless to me... I could even speed up the video to 48p in post, it would still look normal.
Not everyone can spot the difference. I can say my first attempts at blending the drone video with my DSLR were futile. The differences were obvious until I took the drone back to 1080P and 24FPS to match my camera settings.

I can see ad andvantage of h265 over h264, the image is more compact, with less noise. probably less sharpened but natural and with good details....
I swiched now with h265 and 30fps (4k of course)

I can see ad andvantage of h265 over h264, the image is more compact, with less noise. probably less sharpened but natural and with good details....
I swiched now with h265 and 30fps (4k of course)
Interesting. I didn't see any difference at all in my tests. Certainly not less noise. I'd be interested in seeing your tests that show a better looking image. I would certainly switch over to H.265 if I thought the image was better (& not just smaller file sizes).

no smaller files on h265, exactly the same but better quality for me. I can see difference in all of my videos, on my 4k oled tv even non so close to the screen...
I'm talking about raw files from sd card and not manipulated by software

It is a more efficient codec that is supposed to have smaller file sizes (primarily for streaming purposes). It's also supposed to have better motion estimation which should improve shots with fast moving details. I've done side by side comparisons with no visible difference but maybe my subject matter wasn't optimal for the test. Until I have definitive proof, I'm sticking with the easier to post with H.264. Here's an article about the difference (for those who are interested). HEVC (H.265) vs. AVC (H.264) - What’s the Difference?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.