Image Distortion

Reaction score
I was looking at some video from my P3P and what I see bugs me. I'm not up on photography at all so this might sound kind of dumb. If I walk outside and look at what I see real life and compare it to the video, the video looks like Iit's 2 to 3 times farther away than what I see in reality.
It shows up in altitude as the drone being far higher than it really is (about 2 1/2 times) higher. While this makes 100 feet up look really cool, I'd rather see a more accurate rendition. I'm guessing this has to do with the lens and focal ratios etc. Is it possible to change the lens to correct this? I read on another post about lenses beig available. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Yes, they are most all wide angle lens. So it makes everything look further away.
Yes they have companies that can change the lenses for you. I just don't know where they're at right now, but I've read articles on it.

I was looking at some video from my P3P and what I see bugs me. I'm not up on photography at all so this might sound kind of dumb. If I walk outside and look at what I see real life and compare it to the video, the video looks like Iit's 2 to 3 times farther away than what I see in reality.
It shows up in altitude as the drone being far higher than it really is (about 2 1/2 times) higher. While this makes 100 feet up look really cool, I'd rather see a more accurate rendition. I'm guessing this has to do with the lens and focal ratios etc. Is it possible to change the lens to correct this? I read on another post about lenses beig available. Anyone have thoughts on this?
Yes, it's all about the lens. Went to see a live recording of American Idol years ago. OMG how big that set looks on TV yet it's all very compact!

To the best of my knowledge there are no lens attachments other than filters. The original lens is fixed. It is what it is. Interchangeable lenses have been mentioned as possible upgrades to future DJI products.

You can, however, replace the lens entirely if you're technically proficient. It involves taking the camera apart. Probably not a good idea if still under warranty.

Have a look at this recent thread which will give you a bit of information and a couple of useful links:
4K camera lens...

I'm assuming that you are sure that no previous owner could have changed the lens before you owned it....

As already mentioned, the effect you see is because of the 94-degree field of view of the stock Phantom lens. The lenses are replaceable but a narrower field of view may make you feel that you're flying your Phantom whilst looking down a cardboard tube at the monitor - tunnel vision!

Don't forget that the search facility here (magnifying glass, top right) can sometimes help you find similar questions to yours which have been asked here before - often many times... :)

For example:- Search Results for Query: lens FOV | DJI Phantom Drone Forum

Yet more info here:- changing Phantom 3 lens - YouTube

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.