I'm at a impasse at the moment

Reaction score
After sending back the P3 4K that was sent to me instead of the P3Pro that I ordered. I am getting my money returned. That is the great news I was able to return for a refund.
The impasse is do I order a P3Pro or add some $$$ and get the P4. Been looking over the P4 and it seems to have some issues that Im sure will be corrected as the issues are addressed. So is the P3Pro the way to go or jump on a P4?

Looking for the forum members to shed light on what is more capable for doing aerial video for production work. I believe for the most part the cameras are the same except for the 120 fpm on the P4.

Thanks

Flipper

get p3p and some extra batterys

but they are evolutionary and not revolutionary
Have you compared them in person? The design of the P4 is quite impressive. It seems to be a lot more stable when hovering too.

Have you compared them in person? The design of the P4 is quite impressive. It seems to be a lot more stable when hovering too.

Full disclosure, no I have not. Just comparing paper specs and all the videos I've seen. Not to mention all the issues that have been reported regarding battery life and reduced range. Not trying to open a can of worms just one mans opinion at present.

Not to mention all the issues that have been reported regarding battery life and reduced range.
Ah, you gotta love those specs. People always argue about those on every new Phantom release. I suppose it's no secret, but there are many factors that can affect those times/ranges.

Get a bargain P3P and a couple more batteries. I tend to miss the next model review and wait for two generations to pass before I upgrade. There's just not enough "wow" to move from 3 to 4. I'll wait for 5....

I would hang fire on the p4 for the time being.
6 months time maybe its worth jumping in when dji do the "a" version and bring the price down.

Reactions: NormanNormal
True but they are evolutionary and not revolutionary like the jump from P2 to P3 was. I would get a P3P and use the leftover money to get a ton of accessories, batteries, and a good long range kit.

This is a point often overlooked. The leap from the P2 to the P3 made the decision to upgrade a no-brainer. That isn't the case with the P4. I'd even argue, unless you are banging your fists on your desk during editing because you need 4K, I wouldn't even go with a P3P over an Advanced.

Unless there's some "magic bullet" feature you gotta have in the newer one, consider how how long you plan to have it...these things are evolving so fast that if you intend to stay with the sport, you may want a P5 or whatever new hotness comes out within the next couple years...in that case there's a better ROI on the older ship as you're not paying bleeding edge prices. You'll be able to resell a P3 for a greater portion of your initial price, lowering your net cost.

If you're pretty sure you'll keep it forever, go with the newer one as it'll likely be supported longer.

I view these Phantoms just like I view phones. I tend to skip generations unless it's a game changer. Even then I can wait long enough for prices to drop. Like I did with PS4. The fact is, the P4 is not a game changer where as the P3 virtually mandated its purchase.

The other thing to consider, which Default points out, is resale. I resell all my gadgets. And I just bought a new Advanced for $650 and that will hold much more value at this point. So that's how I make decisions. But I'm a disciplined and patient person who doesn't tend to allow emotion to factor into these things. But my buddy will always buy the newest **** when it comes out. So, everyone is different. Of course his financial situation allows him to be more wreckless with money than the majority.

Of course his financial situation allows him to be more wreckless with money than the majority.

I am the same way. I don't think it's reckless. It is a choice based on finances. I like the latest and greatest but in this case the latest and greatest isn't enough to make me pull the trigger over the P3p. The items improved were not in the areas I value. I like more range and value video quality. The P4 is not enough of an upgrade to make me buy it. Regardless of price.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I am the same way. I don't think it's reckless. It is a choice based on finances. I like the latest and greatest but in this case the latest and greatest isn't enough to make me pull the trigger over the P3p. The items improved were not in the areas I value. I like more range and value video quality. The P4 is not enough of an upgrade to make me buy it. Regardless of price.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Carefree is a better way to put it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl