I was almost robbed of my Phantom tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have licensed permits for 5 or so groups of weapon use, registered gun IDs. I've personally never seen anyone open carry except law enforcement.
Bank robberies here mostly happen with fake guns and bomb threats on paper. Homicide is usually carried out within a family or due to bad relationships or silly drunk fights.
I have gotten into conflicts with people, some stupid fist fights, aggressive drivers, but I would never expect a group of "kids" to gang up and threaten to take something from me. If they did, I would hand it over and I expect law enforcement to take care of situations like that. Especially if I had a tracker inside. I would gladly hand it over and just call the cops 5 minutes later.
If I were to move back to the US, or any civilized 1st world country, I would have to pick a place with very low crime rates. I'm not interested in having learn to defend myself since I'm not Chuck Norris and I pay taxes for others to maintain a certain level of safety for the public.
If I had to move to a remote place like a cabin in Alaska, then I'd be willing to do so, for protection and self-sufficience hunting.

This has gotten far off the topic of Phantoms, but I'll chime in anyway. I don't carry a firearm any longer, but I did for 26 years when I was an FBI agent. I never had to use it in the FBI other than for training on the range. Once in New York I accompanied a friend home to the South Bronx late at night, after seeing a Broadway show and returned to the subway station. Two muggers started for me on the platform. I pulled out my gun and they took off. I didn't have to point it at them. I just sat there reading a book with the gun visible, pointing up. Now, with more maturity, I would never put myself in that position. I would never go into the South Bronx at 1:00 AM, with or without a gun. I was foolish. I don't carry and if someone robbed me, I would just give them my wallet or Phantom or whatever else they wanted. It's only money. I'm not anti-gun. It's a tool I used for years and I would have had no compunction in shooting someone with it if the need arose, but I find them distasteful at best and dangerous at worst. It was a chore to have to qualify on the range six times a year, and I always came home with my hands all banged up from shooting from behind barricades, etc. As for taking a dump when when you have a gun in a holster on your belt, that's a major pain. As the comic in the video said, someone with a gun in the home is much more likely to die by the gun (or have a family member or visiting kid die) than use it to defend the family. You are also more likely to be burglarized if it becomes known you have a gun in the house, especially a handgun. That's one of the most popular targets for thieves. I know a lot of hunters or competition shooters and I have no problem with hunting or skeet shooting, etc. as a sport. Just keep the guns locked up, preferably at a range or other safe location away from the home.

Larry L said:
pilsburypie said:
Inevitable the near robbing of your quad would turn into "the gun debate" as you pulled your piece on the blokes......

Here in the UK this is so alien to me. Not judging your laws or rights, just feel glad we don't have the "right" to carry. I live in Birmingham, the second city, crime is relatively high, but I know that even if someone were to try and rob me of my quad, it would end up in a fist fight at worst. If they did pull a knife I'd hand the **** thing over. No one here is gonna pull a gun to rob you of such insignificance. Don't really fancy having a Mexican stand off myself!

But, when I came to Arizona on holiday, first thing on my list was to go to a gun range, loan the biggest baddest full autos, magnums, assault rifles and shoot the hell out of them till my shoulder hurt. Boy was that fun!
Lol, I wish it was just a fist fight here too.
Know what ya mean Larry ! And after a good one I always like to lite one up ! ;)

Attachments

• Dirkclod after good fight !.jpg
    Dirkclod after good fight !.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 368
pilsburypie said:
Inevitable the near robbing of your quad would turn into "the gun debate" as you pulled your piece on the blokes......

Here in the UK this is so alien to me. Not judging your laws or rights, just feel glad we don't have the "right" to carry. I live in Birmingham, the second city, crime is relatively high, but I know that even if someone were to try and rob me of my quad, it would end up in a fist fight at worst. If they did pull a knife I'd hand the **** thing over. No one here is gonna pull a gun to rob you of such insignificance. Don't really fancy having a Mexican stand off myself!

But, when I came to Arizona on holiday, first thing on my list was to go to a gun range, loan the biggest baddest full autos, magnums, assault rifles and shoot the hell out of them till my shoulder hurt. Boy was that fun!

Who's to say they won't stab you anyway after they have whatever it is they think they are entitled to?
I'll pass on the hand to hand combat. Leave me alone and I will do the same.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. ;)

Fyod said:
We have licensed permits for 5 or so groups of weapon use, registered gun IDs. I've personally never seen anyone open carry except law enforcement.
Bank robberies here mostly happen with fake guns and bomb threats on paper. Homicide is usually carried out within a family or due to bad relationships or silly drunk fights.
I have gotten into conflicts with people, some stupid fist fights, aggressive drivers, but I would never expect a group of "kids" to gang up and threaten to take something from me. If they did, I would hand it over and I expect law enforcement to take care of situations like that. Especially if I had a tracker inside. I would gladly hand it over and just call the cops 5 minutes later.
If I were to move back to the US, or any civilized 1st world country, I would have to pick a place with very low crime rates. I'm not interested in having learn to defend myself since I'm not Chuck Norris and I pay taxes for others to maintain a certain level of safety for the public.
If I had to move to a remote place like a cabin in Alaska, then I'd be willing to do so, for protection and self-sufficience hunting.

I wouldn't normally in this situation either. By kids I mean early to mid twenties. If it wasnt for the fact that groups just like this have been walking up to people and beating them senseless just for the sport of it I would have just turned it over. But it is happening, on a weekly basis and people are dying. The city has had to put up signs in areas that are usually low crime areas warning people not to walk alone if at all possible. Now that is pretty much common sense in certain areas of the city but these things have been happening everywhere.

Here in Australia, almost no one feels unsafe in the same way you would in the US. I know if I lived in the US, I would probably want to own and carry, especially while out flying (Piloting?) my Phantom in some parts. It's a culture thing. And culture is hard to change. If the US overnight introduced the kind of gun restrictions we have in Australia, the unlawful would have a picnic. That didn't happen here in Oz - different culture. With very rare exceptions, gun violence here is rare, and usually minimal, unless mob related - crims killing crims - and even that is rare.

ccase39 said:
I wouldn't normally in this situation either. By kids I mean early to mid twenties. If it wasnt for the fact that groups just like this have been walking up to people and beating them senseless just for the sport of it I would have just turned it over. But it is happening, on a weekly basis and people are dying. The city has had to put up signs in areas that are usually low crime areas warning people not to walk alone if at all possible. Now that is pretty much common sense in certain areas of the city but these things have been happening everywhere.

I remember seeing the "surprise punch and run games" teens played a couple years back, injuring many people including the elderly and then uploading that cr4p on youtube. Is it something similar?

to get licensed for a Concealed Carry Weapon (CCW) permit where I live it requires 8+ hours training of the laws, ramifications/ risk understanding with test and understanding of the risks and life after and if you pull and use the weapon and then you have to qualify on the target range. Then a background check (can't be a felon who wants one). Once you have the permit it will now reciprocate on the carry basis in 40+ states.

if you pull and discharge your life will forever change but hopefully you will be alive to deal with it. Its called concealed for a reason and god forbid if there has ever been any alcohol associated with it.

glad you made it back home safe Ccase39

Fyod said:
ccase39 said:

I remember seeing the "surprise punch and run games" teens played a couple years back, injuring many people including the elderly and then uploading that cr4p on youtube. Is it something similar?

Exactly that. It started out with just running by and punching people out. Then apparantly it evolved to something like the less hits it takes to knock them out the more points you get. From there they took to robbing them when they were down, and a couple of people were killed during the process.

Its bad here.

On a similar note I was getting take out at a Mexican place tonight and as I was leaving about 6 police cars rolled up and blocked in this white Accord or something similar. I live on the opposite side of the block a block over so I got my bird up and got some video lol. Couldnt really tell what was going on though.

dirkclod said:
Larry L said:
pilsburypie said:

Lol, I wish it was just a fist fight here too.
Know what ya mean Larry ! And after a good one I always like to lite one up ! ;)
Lol , her or the cigar?

Glad you're still around to tell the story ccase39. :D

Good job helping the police apprehend the scumbags. ;)

Marlin009 said:
pilsburypie said:

Who's to say they won't stab you anyway after they have whatever it is they think they are entitled to?
I'll pass on the hand to hand combat. Leave me alone and I will do the same.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. ;)
There is nothing to say they wouldn't stab me after anyway - except I would question why for a simple robbery, probably just for cash for drugs, they would want a murder on their hands? Different places, different mindsets. I feel lucky that if I ever went out flying my quad, or taking photos with my expensive DSLR setup that I wouldn't be robbed. If in the unlikely situation I was approached, depending on how I rate my chances in a ruck, I'm equally confident it would be a robbery and no more.

I would feel less confident having the right to carry a gun as the crook would know that I also have the right to carry a gun. He therefore needs to step it up to control the robbery. A twitchy fingered drug head, pointing a gun at me, me pointing a gun at him, is a situation I'd rather not have!

I always carry. Thankfully I have never had to even think about using a side arm in a personal protection situation, but I would not hesitate to do so if my life or my loved ones lives were threatened.

Glad to see the OP was not hurt and used his 2nd Amendment Right to protect himself with a firearm.

ccase39 said:
PhantomFanatic said:
I think you meant Ruger. Just a friendly suggestion to make your posts more readable: Use your "ENTER" key, to make paragraphs. It makes it much more readable.

Having said that, I read what you wrote and I have a no -quad experience that is related. After becoming disabled, I could no longer ride my GoldWing, teach SCUBA diving or dive and I lost SO many hobbies as I was very active. If the sun was out, either I was gone teaching diving, or doing some project.

To the point: I had always wanted to metal detect, but other hobbies used up my time. So, I finally bought a White's metal detector - top of the line, I got addicted and went out around 1 pm and I came back home around 9 - 11pm each night. Unless you find gold, all coins look like dirt. I would put them in my tumblers, while drinking a glass of wine. Then I would look at the brand new coins. Unfortunately, due to neuropathy, I couldn't handle the 12" coil and I used a 6" coil instead. This meant I didn't find the old coins that I wanted to find.

I hunted out all public parks, dealing with the kids who wanted to help. There was one park that I left for last. It was in the bad side of town. After an hour, despite wearing headphones, I heard some guys of another race, who said: "Look at that white guy trying to find gold!"

I acted as if I didn't hear it. I probably should have left much earlier, but it was so nice and cool. Suddenly three teenagers on bicycles rode very fast, towards me in three different directions. Their first question was: "What is that worth?"' Not what it cost.

I wasn't afraid, but I saw no reason to hurt or kill someone. I told them what it cost, I stated that I was still paying for it, via a credit card, because I was disabled. I then asked all three if they would like to see how it worked. After awhile, they all left.

I knew they planned to rob me. They didn't know that I was carrying a fully loaded, 11 round .45 pistol, with two back-up 10 round magazines. Was it was my being nice, showing no fear, etc., I don't know.

I've had a firearms license since the early 70's and I've never let it expire. AND, I ALWAYS carry! Call me a nut, or if you knew my life experiences, you would understand. I've never had to draw my firearm. What few know, what they call a concealed firearms license, also allowand s one to carry openly.

Due to this hot climate, I now carry openly, with a locked holster. Even if I'm flying. Sometimes it is easier to just carry my badge, with the gun.

So, yes, I'm a gun nut! When you are begging for your life, I'll be reaching for my gun!! Maybe I'll be too late if I draw that late, but I choose to die trying to save my life than begging for it. Honestly, by having a firearm, my life has been saved several times. Excuse this long post, but if one person applies for their state's FireArms license, it would be worth it!
I hear ya, sorry about the lack of spaces. My computer spell checks Ruger to Rugar. Pisses me off when I am in a firearm forum. I have had several instances where people have followed me to my car at gas stations and try to get in after I lock the door and beat on windows. Never felt threatened, just easier to drive off.

Its legal here to open carry without a permit, many do, I do not. Sometimes I think open carry can do more harm than good but that is a discussion for another forum

I am in the beginning stages of metal detecting right now. An old high school buddy of mine is getting me into it. Hadnt seen him in years and he gave me a ring to see if I wanted to go with him. We grew up on a property with a house built in the 1700's and are having a field day. Nothing too valuable yet but lots of fun and good to relive some old memories. Actually found some old arrows that we lost shooting rabbits together 20 years ago.

He will have a Phantom soon. We use the Phantom to scout out old Indian shell harvest areas. There are shell plots hidden all up in the marsh which are only visible from the air. Indians would set up for days picking clams and oysters and these plots as a post to trade with trappers and settlers. There is bound to be something there.

Amen about spell check! Posting in another thread, it turned a good word into a VERY bad word. I was happy I noticed it!

My state used to allow open carry without a permit. But, they changed that about 8 years ago. Open carry is a subject that many feel strongly about, both pro and con. There is an open carry forum that I'm on. We have our reasons and with a permit it is legal, so that should be the end of it.

I'll tell one story ot show why I started carrying openly: I was sitting in my vehicle, at a park, while eating some takeout. I heard on the scanner, that a local bank had been robbed by 3 black men. I was going to the mall and I was through with lunch. So, I headed that way, which was close. When I was on the street, that the bank was on, I noticed three black men, in a car, with stockings on their heads.

I called in and I asked if they had a description of the vehicle, they didn't. I shared what I saw and they asked me to follow the vehicle. As a private detective everyone in law enforcement knew me, even dispatch. I drove casually and I was a few cars behind them.

The dispatcher asked for the tag number. Mi told her if I got close enough to see the tag, they will most likely make me. Mi said I can follow at a distance and we could get Law enforcement to them. She insisted. When I was behind them, I noticed the driver checking me out. That vehicle with all the antennas, etc. made many tink it was law enforcement despite the fact it was a van! The driver also saw me talking on the phone.

Well, they started making turns and the backseat passenger was now turning around to look at me. The dispatch said all three were armed and they had fired a shot in the bank and pepper sprayed the tellers. I still held out some hope, but after more turns, they pulled into a drive way. I thought it might be their house, but then they pulled out and went the other direction.

As luck would have it, I found my rear view mirror on the floorboard. The only place for me to turn around was in an intersection with traffic. Without the mirror, I couldn't see them. I got turned around and they were gone. They either turned left or right. I chose left. Wrong! There were about 10 patrol cars stopped there. I had been calling out the streets and the officers were trying to get to me. I was a bit perturbed to find some standing outside of their vehicles, while I was putting my life at risk.

I got home hours later after the FBI asked me to go to the bank for debriefing, in the parking lot. I heard the local FBI agent,say: "We will hit them in the middle of the night. When I got home, I began thinking about it all. It seemed these were the ban robbers. It dawned on me that all they had to do was to stop in that narrow street, where they turned, and all three could have gotten out and unloaded on me.

All I carried then, was a .380 on my left ankle. Seven rounds, in the pistol was all I had. I had also been stopping at accidents and stranded vehicles. I would get an instant to turn down a road and always there would be someone in need.
But, not all cars pulled over are in need of help. They might be doing drugs or a drug deal could be going on.

I realized by the time I saw the gun, then bent down to get mine, I would be a dead man. But with temperatures in the 90's it was impossible to wear a jacket. So, I thought either I carry a tiny pistol with little stopping power or I forget what others might think and carry a larger caliber on my belt, with magazines on the other side.

I perfected this to what I call "Invisible Open Carry" The average person goes through life unaware of their surroundings. There are techniques to take advantage of that. But, you will have to wait for the book! When I first started carrying openly, everyone saw me! Now, I can go into Walmart, carrying openly, and no one says anything, no one looks at the gun, security isn't called, etc.

If it is cold enough for a jacket, sure, I will carry concealed. But, I am not going to risk my life because some don't approve of open carry. The heck with them! If you don't believe in carrying openly, carry concealed. It is YOUR right to carry concealed. It is also MY right to carry openly!

Couldn't agree more. Just want to stress that just because I don't open carry and think in some situations it does more harm than good doesn't mean I am not glad people have a choice to decide weather or not they do. Different parts of the world have different crime problems. For anyone to say someone is wrong to open carry isn't seeing the big picture.

So....... I'm going on a cruise ship out of Miami in a couple of weeks.......do I need a fully automatic assault weapon for my 21 hours in Miami?

Honestly guys, you are the only 1st world nation in the world that feel you all need to be armed. You don't need healthcare for all citizens, but each of you needs to own multiple weapons.

It's not something to be proud of, but rather embarrassed about. You are 330 million people out of 7 billion in the world. The rest of the world is not wrong..... Do the math

Sorry, this subject angers me.

Yeh police in uk are more intrested im dealing with drunks and idiots rather than proper crime lol

CameraGuy said:
So....... I'm going on a cruise ship out of Miami in a couple of weeks.......do I need a fully automatic assault weapon for my 21 hours in Miami?

Honestly guys, you are the only 1st world nation in the world that feel you all need to be armed. You don't need healthcare for all citizens, but each of you needs to own multiple weapons.

It's not something to be proud of, but rather embarrassed about. You are 330 million people out of 7 billion in the world. The rest of the world is not wrong..... Do the math

That is clear. It's got you typing nonsense.

CameraGuy said:

I would say no, maybe a half a clip :D but the 2 amendment says that if I want to have one & carry it. I can. Depending on where. I am not getting into a argument or debate but if concealed carry were legal when my boss was murdered along with 24 others on October 16,1991 at a Luby's restaurant in Killeen Texas, if someone were to have a gun, chances are the outcome would be different. Luckily the DPS was having a seminar a block away or the causalities would of been twice that amount. And yes, have a great time on your cruse.
Each has their own opinions as to why & why not. Do I feel people need to walk down the street carrying a AR-15? no not really but the 2nd amendment & the laws of my state says yes I can. I really have not open carried so I can't say anything about it. All I can say is I have a friend that lives in Arazona, he loves it. His favorite thing is when he is riding his motorcycle down the road, people normally think twice about cutting him off :D
As far as no health insurance, that angers me that you (not you personally) can come here illegally, get free health care & get everything for free while I work my butt off to make sure you have everything you want. That is what angers me :( I'm not against coming to the USA & being a productive citizen. Just come here legally & give back like we all do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31