I think I made a mistake with choice. Any advice?

You'll buy the Standard, and then be disappointed that it won't fly 1/2 a mile.
Just pull the trigger on the Advance or Pro version and fly at least 2 miles out the box for a minimum of 20 minutes flight time.

My first outdoor drone (after some hubsan like training one) was also bebop.

Now i fly P3s.

Will never go back because:
- almost triple battery life
- video quality
- parrot freaked out above water and while flying above rapidly changing ground levels (eg. passing by a huge step)
- the skycontroller (bebop rc) is huge

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

They accepted my return offer!! I'll have a p3S very soon. Within the next week maybe. I can't wait. Sky controller is ridiculously huge.

This thread brings back memories that I had already discarded.
My very first ever RC anything, was my Parrot AR Drone 2.0.
It was a fun toy to play around the yard with. But if you want a real drone, with magical and magnificent powers, buy yourself a @dji Phantom... And never look back. Hahaha
Just know, this hobby can become a habit, and then an addiction.
But it has many avenues to recover... ;-)
The Phantom popularity can be easily gauged by the number of different retail outlets that carry the @dji brand.

RedHotPoker

I did make a parrot mistake. Lol. I'll have a standard within the next week. Amazon accepted my return request! I hope now I get a real drone I have more courage to fly it without being worried all the time.

Just pull the trigger on the Advance or Pro version and fly at least 2 miles out the box for a minimum of 20 minutes flight time.

I don't have the money for an advance or the pro. I don't know if I would be even flying nearly two miles out honestly. I think I would be happy with the standard and if I do want a pro or advanced in the future I'll sell the standard.

I see you've made your decision but know that either way you went would have been the right way. I have the Parrot Bebop and I have the Phantom 3 Pro and the only use my Bebop really gets is when a guest wants to drive a quad or I want to fly around the house.

Don't worry too much about the distance issue. If you want to fly a long-distance mission, the P3S can use Litchi for waypoint flying. Connection to the transmitter isn't necessary when flying autonomous missions. Your biggest distance hurdle becomes battery life. Enjoy your P3S!

Reactions: Squirrel!
I see you've made your decision but know that either way you went would have been the right way. I have the Parrot Bebop and I have the Phantom 3 Pro and the only use my Bebop really gets is when a guest wants to drive a quad or I want to fly around the house.

So basically your bebop is useless (well not entirely) it sounds like when a little brother wants to play what his big brother is playing and you end up letting him but with a dumbed down version of it so you can still be on top but also satisfying your little brother and still get to play with each other. My sister and her friend use to do that to me. Hahaha. Also I don't have the money to buy and keep both drones. Trust me I would love to have both of them so if my dad wanted to join I could give him the bebop. I actually feel sad for exchanging it now... lol...

Don't worry too much about the distance issue. If you want to fly a long-distance mission, the P3S can use Litchi for waypoint flying. Connection to the transmitter isn't necessary when flying autonomous missions. Your biggest distance hurdle becomes battery life. Enjoy your P3S!

Low battery means turn around and come back asap. I'm not really doing long distance missions right now. Thanks fire the info for when I do start to go longer ranges. Ill look into that definitely.

Well Amazon refunded my money within a few hours and they didn't even get the bebop back yet. I'll have the standard on Friday!! I'm so excited!!

Reactions: peterepeat69
Congrats, you will be a happy pilot...

RedHotPoker

Oh oh, Oh no please Don't tell me you haven't already been reading your manuals.
Phantom 3 Standard - Specs, FAQ, manual, video tutorials and DJI GO | DJI
RTFM before Reading the liner notes... ;-)

Waiting for my Phantom, I became intimately involved with those PDF manuals.
These are the way to learn everything technical and physical before it arrives.
Flying Phantoms is the easy part. But there are plenty of parameters and personalized settings to learn and understand. And those can be in your knowledge already.

I hope that if you get even 1/2 as much of the enjoyment as I have had with mine. . .
Really been a pleasure to own and operate such a great piece of DJI RC design & ingenuity.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkEt
No. My P3s goes well over 3,000' regularly, been out a mile once, been out over 4000' once, all 100% stock. I really have no desire nor need to go any further. I really have no need beyond seeing what my aircrafts capabilities are.

The Phantom 3 Standard is a solid machine that you will enjoy with no regrets. You made a good choice. :)

I had a P1 for a year and got very experienced with that.

Then nearly a month ago, I bought the P3S since I saw it was down to $450. I already got a windsurfer for it, and my best has been about 4500 feet away. But flying with trees around me I lose video very fast. However, I only lose video. I always maintain LOS so I can always bring it back myself not being able to see the video. Of course there's always RTH too which I don't like to rely on, but am getting more comfortable with. Having the P1 definitely was worth it as far as learning to fly without live video. I'd always do little exercises where I'd intentionally lose orientation from far away and get it back by yawing a bit to the right...rolling to the right..until the Phantom was going right when I'd roll right in the sky.

That being said.... I love the P3S so much that...last week I bought a P3A! So I got 2 chargers now, 3 batteries, and 2 P3s! The P3A is a massive step up, but regardless I still love and will continue to fly my P3S.

The P1 is probably better than the bebop, and when I got my P3S I was really awed. The P3 quickly makes you realize....wow this really is 2016, and this technology is no joke.

Enjoy your P3S! And get a windsurfer because it did help for me.

I had a P1 for a year and got very experienced with that.

Then nearly a month ago, I bought the P3S since I saw it was down to $450. I already got a windsurfer for it, and my best has been about 4500 feet away. But flying with trees around me I lose video very fast. However, I only lose video. I always maintain LOS so I can always bring it back myself not being able to see the video. Of course there's always RTH too which I don't like to rely on, but am getting more comfortable with. Having the P1 definitely was worth it as far as learning to fly without live video. I'd always do little exercises where I'd intentionally lose orientation from far away and get it back by yawing a bit to the right...rolling to the right..until the Phantom was going right when I'd roll right in the sky.

That being said.... I love the P3S so much that...last week I bought a P3A! So I got 2 chargers now, 3 batteries, and 2 P3s! The P3A is a massive step up, but regardless I still love and will continue to fly my P3S.

The P1 is probably better than the bebop, and when I got my P3S I was really awed. The P3 quickly makes you realize....wow this really is 2016, and this technology is no joke.

Enjoy your P3S! And get a windsurfer because it did help for me.

I have looked into windsurfers. I'll have to look into them more and see what works best for better range. I got my P3S today and everything is charging right now! :) I didn't even fly it yet and this is already better than the bebop so far. I made a great choice before it was too late!! I got mine for 480 dollars :O

The Phantom 3 Standard is a solid machine that you will enjoy with no regrets. You made a good choice. :)

I got it today and everything is charging right now. How long does Charging the battery and remote take? I'm getting antsy. Haha.

Also a general question. Why does it say to not charge the both at the same time when they are two separate chargers?

The 100 watt charger can charge either the remote or the battery but not both at once. The 57 watt charger (yours) can only charge the battery and the remote by another source.

The 100 watt charger can charge either the remote or the battery but not both at once. The 57 watt charger (yours) can only charge the battery and the remote by another source.

Ahh I see. Could a 100 watt charger work with the standard or no for faster charging?

Also the FPV from my drone to my phone was very blurry and buggy too. Is that normal? I only flee it so far at my house and there's a lot of interference there but it still worked. Also I took a pic from it and when I transferred it to my computer it looked very dull and washed out. Was that because of the setting I had it on? It didn't look crystal clear like all the other pics users have taken. It was only my first flight yesterday and it was just to get use to everything. I actually have to take it out and see what it can really do. So far this beats the BeBop. This is so much better in so many ways! I love how much faster it goes too. I was in awe by how fast it ascended into the air and how fast the return to home worked! So worth the money!

You need to check the specs on both chargers, making sure the voltage on the 100 watt isn't higher than your 57 watt.

As for the live video feed, mine too is a hair laggy, but really not bad. You need to go into the camera settings and change the resolution from the default 2.7k to 1080p. That will help immensely. Also, play around with the other settings to get it to what you feel is the look you are after.

You need to check the specs on both chargers, making sure the voltage on the 100 watt isn't higher than your 57 watt.

As for the live video feed, mine too is a hair laggy, but really not bad. You need to go into the camera settings and change the resolution from the default 2.7k to 1080p. That will help immensely. Also, play around with the other settings to get it to what you feel is the look you are after.

I'll have to try that. I really want to edit and upload in 2.5 k to see how clear it is. I have all day tomorrow to fly it and my first real travel place is my local lake. I really can't wait honestly. I never had this confidence with the bebop. Of course I would have to get a program that allows that high definition. And considering my laptop can't support that ultra HD. I also want to get another battery but so expensive from DJI. time to start saving for that!!

fair comment, however its subjective, i got a standard purely as in South Africa with the exchange rate, the difference in cost between standard and the next one up was huge. its not affordable to me at least. but Standard gives longer flight times than the other two. and not everyone wants to fly that far away from themselves? i see a massive trend on this forum that just revolves around how far you can fly away from where you are standing? ( a few mods and a standard doubles its range fairly easy)

fair comment, however its subjective, i got a standard purely as in South Africa with the exchange rate, the difference in cost between standard and the next one up was huge. its not affordable to me at least. but Standard gives longer flight times than the other two. and not everyone wants to fly that far away from themselves? i see a massive trend on this forum that just revolves around how far you can fly away from where you are standing? ( a few mods and a standard doubles its range fairly easy)

Fair comment on budget, but I have to say the advanced is just full of awesomeness, as I own this I'll never have to upgrade.. Sometimes it's worth spending a few more bucks on insane quality, purely because I can feel confident it won't lose gps and it has an awesome range which I have tested.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20