I think I made a mistake with choice. Any advice?

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am me too the forums. I hope to get some advice from this post.

So I purchased a parrot bebop drone from amazon a week ago. Don't get me wrong I do love it, but in a way I do feel kind of ripped off. It is on sale for prime for 368. After a gift card I received as a gift it came to 219 dollars which is mainly the reason why I jumped on the deal.

Here's my problem. The batteries only last around 10 minutes each (huge let down). I purchased a three battery rapid charging station, another after market battery which is complete crap even though the listing claimed 15 minutes flight time (only get around 7 minutes from actually flying. The full 15 when it just hovers. Like really? Huge rip off!) It's getting returned, trust me. The biggest battery I can buy is 2500 mAh which gets a solid 20 minutes (no problem there). The thing is, with all the spending I've done with buying batteries, I could've just purchased a Phantom 3 standard edition. In all honesty I think I was just being cheap.

I'm actually scared to see how far I can fly my bebop with A) fear of losing connection, and B ) battery drain. I've already lost connection with it by going to high (i could still see it. It dIdn't seem extremely high). It was just hovering there in the sky for 6 minutes as I was desperately trying to get it to reconnect. Fortunately, it didn't fly away and the battery drain made it come back down by itself to a safe landing. WIth a Phantom, I wouldn't have to worry about that. Oh and my return to home doesn't work either (just dandy, right?) So if I do loose it or something, it would be pretty bad.

Should I return it and just get the phantom 3 standard? I hate second guessing and I can't seem to get the phantom off my mind. I crave that drone for some odd reason. Maybe I know it's better, doesn't loose connection and has a 25 minute fly time.

What do you guys think? Should I keep the Bebop and try and buy the other battery or return it and get a Phantom 3?

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I am me too the forums. I hope to get some advice from this post.

So I purchased a parrot bebop fringe from amazon a week ago. Don't get me wrong I do love it, but in a way I do feel kind of ripped off. It is on sake for prime for 368. After a gift card I received as a gift it came to 219 dollars which is mainly the reason why I jumped on the deal.

Here's my problem. The batteries only last around 10 minutes each (huge let down). I purchased a three battery rapid charging station, another after market battery which is complete crap even though the listing claimed 15 minutes flight time (only get around 7 minutes from actually flying. The full 15 when it just hovers. Like really? Huge rip off!) It's getting returned, trust me. The biggest battery I can buy is 2500 mAh which gets a solid 20 minutes (no problem there). The thing is, with all the spending I've done with buying batteries, I could've just purchased a Phantom 3 standard edition. In all honesty I think I was just being cheap.

I'm actually scared to see how far I can fly my bebop with A) fear of losing connection, and B) battery drain. I've already lost connection with it by going to high (i could still see it. It dIdn't seem extremely high). It was just hovering there in the sky for 6 minutes as I was desperately trying to get it to reconnect. Fortunately, it didn't fly away and the battery drain made it come back down by itself to a safe landing. WIth a Phantom, I wouldn't have to worry about that. Oh and my return to home doesn't work either (just dandy, right?) So if I do loose it or something, it would be pretty bad.

Should I return it and just get the phantom 3 standard? I hate second guessing and I can't seem to get the phantom off my mind. I crave that drone for some odd reason. Maybe I know it's better, doesn't loose connection and has a 25 minute fly time.

What do you guys think? Should I keep the Bebop and try and buy the other battery or return it and get a Phantom 3?
The phantom is SIGNIFICANTLY better. ALL parrot drones are [EXPLITIVE REMOVED]. Get the Phantom 3 Standard at the very least.

Last edited by a moderator:
The phantom 3 standard is a great machine for $470, I would be surprised if you didn't like it. But make sure you buy a little nano drone( syma or sky viper m200) to train on even though you have experience.
Here are some videos to help aid your decision:

Almost made the same mistake buying a hubsan but pulled together a few more dollars for the p3, yes in my opinion it's worth getting a phantom, best or nothing for me.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The phantom 3 standard is a great machine for $470, I would be surprised if you didn't like it. But make sure you buy a little nano drone( syma or sky viper m200) to train on even though you have experience.
Here are some videos to help aid your decision:

I do have a syma x5c explorers drone I got for Christmas. I actually want to take it out and fly out again after some decent experience with the bebop.

I will feel bad if I return the bebop (that's how I am with things sometimes). I spent many hours and days figuring out what I should get. It's disappointing how the battery is. I should've listened to the reviews.

Almost made the same mistake buying a hubsan but pulled together a few more dollars for the p3, yes in my opinion it's worth getting a phantom, best or nothing for me.

My HR manager purchased a Phantom right when my bebop came in the mail and he said he flew it all the way to the golf course from where we work at and it's quite a distance too. Pretty amazing. I did get jealous a little bit. Lol.

I just googled mapped where we work too the golf course and it's 3 miles away :O he flew that thing far!! Holy crap I didn't realize how far that is for a drone!

You'll definitely regret the bebop.. it is not as easy to fly also.

I'm regretting it as we speak. I just feel so bad because I was all excited to get it in the mail but the battery though and the already disconnection I had.

I'm regretting it as we speak. I just feel so bad because I was all excited to get it in the mail but the battery though and the already disconnection I had.
The battery also has a shitty design. Return it, trust me.

What would the range be with the standard vs the advance?

It really depends on where you fly. City, maybe 1000 ft and 3000 ft

I get about one mile (5000ft) on the good days in the city on my p3p
bad days I get about 2000ft

Comparing the Parrot to a Phantom is fruitless ... They are very different platforms with totally different missions. I own one of each. Ya can't know what ya don't know! Spend some time on the Parrot forums as well as a phantom forum. For me, the bops are flying open source programmable computers and the phantoms are videography platforms. Just what exactly would be the point in making that type of comparison?

Dos centavos de mio.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: MarkEt
I have a p3s and it does all it want and more

I'm a little bit upset with myself I just didn't go with the phantom in the first place. Live and learn

It really depends on where you fly. City, maybe 1000 ft and 3000 ft

I get about one mile (5000ft) on the good days in the city on my p3p
bad days I get about 2000ft

With my bebop I'm too scared to even fly to the high school baseball field which is literally right next to my house. No more than 250 feet maybe.

On a good day with little or no interference the stanard would go 1K maybe a little further.
The Advance would easy get to 5K and more.

That's not bad at all. I'm convinced now to get the P3S. I'm not going to go too too far with it. The fact that my return to home on my bebop Doesnt work, I wouldn't have to be scared of the phantom going to far because it automatically comes back to you when it disconnects. I did make a mistake. I hope they take mine back. I did manage to get one of the propellers bent a little in a crash but I can get it normal again.

This thread brings back memories that I had already discarded.
My very first ever RC anything, was my Parrot AR Drone 2.0.
It was a fun toy to play around the yard with. But if you want a real drone, with magical and magnificent powers, buy yourself a @dji Phantom... And never look back. Hahaha
Just know, this hobby can become a habit, and then an addiction.
But it has many avenues to recover... ;-)
The Phantom popularity can be easily gauged by the number of different retail outlets that carry the @dji brand.

RedHotPoker

My first outdoor drone (after some hubsan like training one) was also bebop.

Now i fly P3s.

Will never go back because:
- almost triple battery life
- video quality
- parrot freaked out above water and while flying above rapidly changing ground levels (eg. passing by a huge step)
- the skycontroller (bebop rc) is huge

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik