I received my prop balancer today

Reaction score
I ordered the "Speedy Prop Balancer" from RC Pilot Supply via Amazon five days ago and it got here today.

Super simple to use. A high quality piece of equipment for just $25. As with my prior heli blade balancing rigs, I used clear finger nail polish to add weight to the light end of the prop. This is MUCH more desirable than trying to remove weight from the heavy end. You see, if I add too much weight via the clear fingernail polish, I simply use my finger to "slice" some off while it's still drying. If I didn't make that happen, it's a simple matter of using 800 grit sandpaper after it has dried to take a single swipe at the nail polish to remove that tiny bit that balances the prop/blade.

The directions talk about using Scotch Tape. That tape isn't as durable as the nail polish IMO. Nor is it as easy to add/remove in the balancing process.

Three props required balancing while one prop was perfect.

I then took my Phantom out for another flight, just 6 minutes, and she flew more smoothly. I actually eked out another 1mph in GPS mode.

A word to the wise. Put your clear nail polish on the very end of the blade/prop on the top side. If you were to apply it to the underside of the prop/blade, the "lift part", then sand, rocks, dirt, etc, will remove material very quickly. On the top side of the prop/blade, it will require much more time to scrub this away.

Whenever I'm doing regular maintenance on the Quad, I'll check the prop balance. Easy stuff in the course of regular maintenance.

If anyone wants more inclusive directions, just let me know. I've got my second set of props to balance yet and I'd be happy to show the process via video.

Have fun flying!

I ordered the "Speedy Prop Balancer" from RC Pilot Supply via Amazon five days ago and it got here today.

Super simple to use. A high quality piece of equipment for just $25. As with my prior heli blade balancing rigs, I used clear finger nail polish to add weight to the light end of the prop. This is MUCH more desirable than trying to remove weight from the heavy end. You see, if I add too much weight via the clear fingernail polish, I simply use my finger to "slice" some off while it's still drying. If I didn't make that happen, it's a simple matter of using 800 grit sandpaper after it has dried to take a single swipe at the nail polish to remove that tiny bit that balances the prop/blade.

The directions talk about using Scotch Tape. That tape isn't as durable as the nail polish IMO. Nor is it as easy to add/remove in the balancing process.

Three props required balancing while one prop was perfect.

I then took my Phantom out for another flight, just 6 minutes, and she flew more smoothly. I actually eked out another 1mph in GPS mode.

A word to the wise. Put your clear nail polish on the very end of the blade/prop on the top side. If you were to apply it to the underside of the prop/blade, the "lift part", then sand, rocks, dirt, etc, will remove material very quickly. On the top side of the prop/blade, it will require much more time to scrub this away.

Whenever I'm doing regular maintenance on the Quad, I'll check the prop balance. Easy stuff in the course of regular maintenance.

If anyone wants more inclusive directions, just let me know. I've got my second set of props to balance yet and I'd be happy to show the process via video.

Have fun flying!

I do not have a balancer yet so I would be interested in two things...your video on how to balance and a recommendation of a balancer.

Thanks

I do not have a balancer yet so I would be interested in two things...your video on how to balance and a recommendation of a balancer.

Thanks

I'll make that happen in the next couple of days.

Toolguy, here's a good how-to on balancing props:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I also use the SpeedyTM prop balancer -- and, it works well for me. There are some other options here.

Last edited:

Thanks

I apologize if this puts you out in any way. However, I had a motor just not work when I went to fly this morning. I'm waiting on a 2mm screwdriver to arrive so I can take the cover off and look for issues.

Also, I've been told by my wife and daughter I have a road trip the day after tomorrow to go move my daughters college furniture out of storage and back home. A 400mile one way trip that will see me busy for the next few days. So if I don't get this done tomorrow, I'll have to do so next week. It would seem pointless to do so without all four motors running.

I'm assuming a wire has popped lose.

I apologize if this puts you out in any way. However, I had a motor just not work when I went to fly this morning. I'm waiting on a 2mm screwdriver to arrive so I can take the cover off and look for issues.

Also, I've been told by my wife and daughter I have a road trip the day after tomorrow to go move my daughters college furniture out of storage and back home. A 400mile one way trip that will see me busy for the next few days. So if I don't get this done tomorrow, I'll have to do so next week. It would seem pointless to do so without all four motors running.

I'm assuming a wire has popped lose.

No rush just appreciate you are willing to take the time to show how it's done. Drive safely on the trip. That's a lot of windshield time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers