I Pads you use to fly with

Reaction score
What tablet do you use to fly your Phantom 3 Professional with?
Some say get one with GPS, some say you don' need GPS.
I was looking at an I Pad Mini, but they may not have GPS.
Best Buy has an Apple I Pad on sale that has GPS and Cellular for $259.00.
Should I try and get one with GPS or not?
Which one do you fly with?

The cellular models of all Apple devices contain a GPS receiver. It's active whether or not the cellular service has been activated.

You'll only need GPS on your mobile device if you're going to use the Follow Me flight mode or manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off. If you don't need those features, then you could save a few bucks and get a Wi-Fi only Apple device instead.

As for which Apple device to buy, make sure it's an Apple device on this list.

I’ve used both a new 2017 Ipad, and an old pre-Air Ipad 4, still works but it fell out of support so I got a new one. The old one isn’t on the list, but it does work: i haven’t run it enough to really nail this down, but now that I think about it the maximum distance seems to be shorter with that old one than with my new one or the iPhone 7 I’ve also used with it. Anybody know of anything that would back that up?

the maximum distance seems to be shorter with that old one than with my new one or the iPhone 7 I’ve also used with it
This should be the only thing that limits the distance after switching mobile devices.

IPad 4 mini w/cell-gps. Cell not activated but GOS fully functional. Love it.

This should be the only thing that limits the distance after switching mobile devices.
Well, that’s definitely not it. We’re talking about cutting the for-real maximum range down to 1/2 or 3/4 of the new devices. If you believe the compatibility list, I shouldn’t be able to use the old one at all, but that seems to be the only difference. Not sure just what the mechanism for that happening is, but it’s become pretty obvious.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav