I ignored all your warnings and used a phantom to play fetch with my dog

Reaction score
And we had a blast.
Rigged up a clothespin to release when he grabbed the ball and made sure the part that remained on the drone wasn’t long enough to swing up into the props- it worked beautifully.

Unfortunately there was too much going on for me to try and keep the phantom camera on him at the same time - I’m still new at this - so video is taken from the ground.

No dogs or drones were harmed in the making of this video.

Next week my payload release attachment arrives and we’ll try more of a “drop” method than a “pull” method.

(Apologies for the vertical and poor quality video - apparently my iPhone frame rate wasn’t set high enough to use the “speed up” feature but I didn’t want this to be a 4 minute video)

You did not! You took heed and applied some warnings to make everything work. How about, keep string short, so it doesn't get in props.
They were well valid good warnings. Things to watch for. You did well.

I suppose you’re right - I welcome suggestions on how to do it better / safer - but it seemed like most people just wanted to tell me what a bad idea it was and not to do it rather than offer any input on how to do it better or safely.

I thank those that did offer advice and suggestions.
It went off without a hitch and I even installed prop guards for everyone’s safety just in case!

Last edited:
I suppose you’re right - I welcome suggestions on how to do it better / safer - but it seemed like most people just wanted to tell me what a bad idea it was and not to do it rather than offer any input on how to do it better or safely.

I thank those that did offer advices and suggestions.
It went off without a hitch and I even installed prop guards for everyone’s safety just in case!
FWIW, I've learnt to ignore the naysayers and just make an adult decision based on either experience or a gut feeling. You had fun as did the dog, you didn't stuff the phantom into a tree and you are soon to fit a release system to make it even easier to enjoy the experience. I'd love to post up some of the things I do with my P4 but the fun police would come after me.
Just do whatever feels safe and right at the time and burn through as many batteries as you can.

:D Thanks for sharing. Especially love the "smile" the dobie gave the camera @0:19 when camera holder got his attention.

It’s a great way to give the dog a good run while having a good time yourself. I like to do it near water as my dog loves to chase it and needs cooling down.
Look at him go! My dog was loosing interest if I kept it out of reach - but yours is determined AND fast!

Yep he will do whatever it takes to try and get a ball or a stick, I have to stop the “flying ball” well before he gives up or he would run until he dropped. But it’s a good way to exercise him after a long day at work. What did you end up using as your ball release?

And we had a blast.
Rigged up a clothespin to release when he grabbed the ball and made sure the part that remained on the drone wasn’t long enough to swing up into the props- it worked beautifully.

Unfortunately there was too much going on for me to try and keep the phantom camera on him at the same time - I’m still new at this - so video is taken from the ground.

No dogs or drones were harmed in the making of this video.

Next week my payload release attachment arrives and we’ll try more of a “drop” method than a “pull” method.

(Apologies for the vertical and poor quality video - apparently my iPhone frame rate wasn’t set high enough to use the “speed up” feature but I didn’t want this to be a 4 minute video)

Gorgeous puppers you have! Yes, mine came in the mail this week too. I will have to try it out soon, but it seems the camera has to barely move and the release drops whatever it is going to drop. You have that issue?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl