I Finally Pulled the Trigger

Reaction score
After going back and forth between the P3S, P3A and the P3P, I decided to go with the P3P. I think I got it for a good price. Not a too good to be true price. I do have a question. What determines if it falls under CE or FCC guidelines. Is it the FW in conjunction with the GPS, or are there different versions. I would think it would have to be FW based. Otherwise, I couldn't legally travel with mine outside the USA.

It should arrive tomorrow. I've already read the manual twice and watched quite a few unboxing and first flight videos. I think my first flight will be short. Turn it on, let it set the Home Point, Take off, let it hover at about 10 ft off the ground for a few mins, and then land. Since I'm about 3 miles from an international airport (BWI), I'm wondering what kind of obstacles I will run into with the fly-safe software.

So many questions

What determines if it falls under CE or FCC guidelines. Is it the FW in conjunction with the GPS, or are there different versions. I would think it would have to be FW based.
The aircraft/firmware is the same no matter where you live. CE/FCC is automatically set based on the current location reported by the Phantom's internal GPS receiver.

After going back and forth between the P3S, P3A and the P3P, I decided to go with the P3P. I think I got it for a good price. Not a too good to be true price. I do have a question. What determines if it falls under CE or FCC guidelines. Is it the FW in conjunction with the GPS, or are there different versions. I would think it would have to be FW based. Otherwise, I couldn't legally travel with mine outside the USA.

It should arrive tomorrow. I've already read the manual twice and watched quite a few unboxing and first flight videos. I think my first flight will be short. Turn it on, let it set the Home Point, Take off, let it hover at about 10 ft off the ground for a few mins, and then land. Since I'm about 3 miles from an international airport (BWI), I'm wondering what kind of obstacles I will run into with the fly-safe software.

So many questions
Congrats on your P3P.

If you are interested, click here for a long list of tips that I often share with new P3A and P3P owners. A tip about FCC/CE is listed there, so perhaps there will also be something else you may find useful.

WRT being so close to a big airport. You likely will not be able to fly at or near your house. You'll need to drive at least a couple of miles away before fully enjoying your awesome new P3.

Reactions: Newbieguy
Congrats on your P3P.

If you are interested, click here for a long list of tips that I often share with new P3A and P3P owners. A tip about FCC/CE is listed there, so perhaps there will also be something else you may find useful.

WRT being so close to a big airport. You likely will not be able to fly at or near your house. You'll need to drive at least a couple of miles away before fully enjoying your awesome new P3.

When I first received my drone this was the most informative single post I read. Big up!

Reactions: Oso
CE or FCC depends on the country you are in. Here in the United States your equipment will be set to FCC standards.

If I took the P3P to the U.K. would it set itself down to CE lomi
[QUO TE="Oso, post: 1268406, member: 25981"]Congrats on your P3P.

WRT being so close to a big airport. You likely will not be able to fly at or near your house. You'll need to drive at least a couple of miles away before fully enjoying your awesome new P3.[/QUOTE]

I looked up my area in the fly-safe map. I am in the green area (outer circle around BWI airport. I am a fair ways away from the red no fly zone for BWI. I probably wont fly at my house except as I said to hover 10ft off the ground. I have a High voltage power right of way right across the street. Too many things can go wrong, but. there is a high school up the road about 1/2 mile with a baseball complex that would be a great place to practice. Maybe even get some shots of Baltimore City (about 3 1/2 miles away). They fried to deliver the phantom today, but I wasn't home to sign for it. Wish I didn't have to work for a living.

Question, can I fly my drone in the Inner harbor, Baltimore, MD without braking FAA rules or any Law? thanks in advance for any response

Question, can I fly my drone in the Inner harbor, Baltimore, MD without braking FAA rules or any Law? thanks in advance for any response

Looks to me that the most of the harbor shows "RESTRICTED AIRSPACE" - that for you and EVERYONE else along with tons of Class C airspace and a what looks to be a 50 mile surface to 18000ft NO FLY IF YOUR NAME'S NOT TRUMP for everyone else also.

So BZ32, pack up the car and head west iffin you wanna be legal 'n all.

I'm on 'the other side of the world' from you :) but a quick search using here (magnifying glass, top right) using keywords 'harbor Baltimore' came up with some results...

Search Results for Query: harbor baltimore | DJI Phantom Drone Forum

Seems this guy did - Baltimore Aerial but whether he broke any rules in doing so, I can't say... Try contacting some of your local fellow members here from the search results and asking them what's OK and what's not....

Read some of the result threads too for more info...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav