I Don't Fully Understand This

Reaction score
The area I fly from is 8.1 miles from the Phila International Airport. I measured from the end of the closest runway to my take off point. I do not understand why I constantly get "Caution, Class B" warnings. I am way past the 5 miles I need to be from the airport. All the planes which fly over me are at from 1,900 to 2,400 feet in altitude. (Data from AltitudeAngel.com) Why am I receiving these warnings ?

To which side are you trying to take off?
Screenshot_20190220-000150_UAV Forecast.jpg

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
In NJ. just to the left of the "C" in Cherry Hill by the river....
Looking more into this, I had to look the Aeronautical Chart from your area. As you can see, the space from 1,500' and above is Class B.
Screenshot (1).png

Last edited:
The area I fly from is 8.1 miles from the Phila International Airport. I measured from the end of the closest runway to my take off point. I do not understand why I constantly get "Caution, Class B" warnings. I am way past the 5 miles I need to be from the airport. All the planes which fly over me are at from 1,900 to 2,400 feet in altitude. (Data from AltitudeAngel.com) Why am I receiving these warnings ?

Keep in mind that Controlled Airspace does not stop/start at the 5 mile limit.

After reading other posts it sounds like you're flying "Under" Class BRAVO airspace. If that information is correct and you stay under that shelf you're good to go and it's just a notification. Better safe than sorry.

Remember airspace is 3D and you can be flying under (not in) a shelf of airspace.

If you take a look at an enlarged pic of Ansia’s chart you can see the class B surface area extends 8 nautical miles (9.2 statute miles) except for a small portion of NE & SW sections. Although hobbyists are only required to notify airport when within 5 miles, when flying outside of the 5 miles in most Class B airspace you will be inside the surface airspace.
IMG_0415.jpg

If you look at the altitude restrictions within the class B surface area you see boxes with different height restrictions. If you are flying inside one of these boxes you will get a warning.
IMG_0416.jpg

And measurement is always taken from center of airport.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that Controlled Airspace does not stop/start at the 5 mile limit.

After reading other posts it sounds like you're flying "Under" Class BRAVO airspace. If that information is correct and you stay under that shelf you're good to go and it's just a notification. Better safe than sorry.

Remember airspace is 3D and you can be flying under (not in) a shelf of airspace.
Thanks, I understand now. Thanks to everybody !!! Cheers !!

If you take a look at an enlarged pic of Ansia’s chart you can see the class B surface area extends 8 nautical miles (9.2 statute miles) except for a small portion of NE & SW sections. Although hobbyists are only required to notify airport when within 5 miles, when flying outside of the 5 miles in most Class B airspace you will be inside the surface airspace.
View attachment 108737
If you look at the altitude restrictions within the class B surface area you see boxes with different height restrictions. If you are flying inside one of these boxes you will get a warning.
View attachment 108738
Interesting Map.. I have never seen it before !!! Thank you for all the info. I AM clear on this. Thanks Again, Cheers !!

Last edited:
View attachment 108737
View attachment 108738
Acutally he lives outside the 8NM surface area. He lives in the 1,500 surface to 7,000 ceiling area of Class Bravo.

Reactions: skymonkey
Acutally he lives outside the 8NM surface area. He lives in the 1,500 surface to 7,000 ceiling area of Class Bravo.

I was going by what the op said in his first post that he flies 8.1 miles from PHL airport measured from closest runway to his take off point. The 8 nautical mile surface area is actually 9.2 statute mile putting him inside class Bravo surface airspace.
If he flies beyond the 8 nautical mile surface area then he is good to go even though he can legally fly (as a hobbyist) within the class bravo surface airspace as long as he is beyond the five mile radius according to the FAA.

I was going by what the op said in his first post that he flies 8.1 miles from PHL airport measured from closest runway to his take off point. The 8 nautical mile surface area is actually 9.2 statute mile putting him inside class Bravo surface airspace.
If he flies beyond the 8 nautical mile surface area then he is good to go even though he can legally fly (as a hobbyist) within the class bravo surface airspace as long as he is beyond the five mile radius according to the FAA.
AMEN !!!!!! Have A Great Evening.. Cheers

Reactions: skymonkey

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers