I crashed:( and now have problem ith gimble, help apreciated.

That's exactly what I would do if I couldn't return it.

To the original poster: just take it back to Apple and say it's defective th gimbal shakes. They will exchange it no questions asked. It will then be sent to DJI with all the other defective P4 and then fixed, repackaged, refurbished and put back on a shelf for someone else.

It's not really costing apple or DJI anything, these drones probably only cost $500 to make.

I know it's not the "right" thing to do, but it is a lot of money and if DJI had better service and quality control this would be a lot easier.

If Apple won't accept it, buy another P4 and then swap it out (make sure you return the second "new" box as it has a serial number on the box which they may check. But they won't check on the shell/p4 itself. Just say it doesn't reach the range or the flight battery time and by law they have to take it back because it's not fit for the purpose it was bought for.

No one got rich being honest!
Wow... not even sure what to say about this post. You sir are a despicable person. You advocate screwing everyone but yourself. Your logic is completely flawed. No one has made an honest living being a crook and yes, Apple & DJI do lose money when you scam them. If you can't afford to lose one, don't buy one. There are cost involved in this hobby and you don't seem to be able to afford the real cost of admission. This may not be the hobby for you.

Reactions: normr and Myetkt
Yes you can. Say it just did that on its own and don't let the people that are making you feel bad about it succeed. I'm sure you pay plenty to Apple and last time I checked they are doing just fine.

If they want to do it and you can, do. People are so righteous and tough behind phones and keyboards.

If you can save $1400, always do it, unless you are hurting someone else and save the "they are hurting us because the Phantoms cost more because of people that do that" for someone else. :)
You are hurting all consumers, sellers and manufacturers by doing this. What is wrong with people these days? Why do people feel it is OK to screw the seller/maker?

Reactions: Myetkt
OR, he could bring it to Apple and get a BRAND NEW ONE!

If I walked in to the Apple Store here in Cali within the return period and said to the manager, shoot man, I accidently just dropped my Phantom off of my balcony, he would give me a brand new one without blinking.

It is my understanding that Apple Stores treat their customers different from state to state but dude, PM me and even if you're past the date (not like 4 weeks) but a little and I promise you I can get you a brand new one and you won't have to lie. You can tell the truth. No lies needed.

Sorry if I seem in a pissy mood. Certainly there is nothing wrong, maybe even right in owning it and not having Apple return it but if I broke something and I don't have to lie to get what i want for free vs. me spending money, I'll save that money. Better I have it than them. Maybe buy a nice gift for my daughter to balance the universe.

If you haven't returned it yet and you want to, I'll help you.
You have said before you know an employee at Apple and he helps you to scam the company... normally stores, Apple included, will not cover you for your own stupidity, nor should you expect them to.

Reactions: Myetkt
I love how you love to tease users for being "noobs"... Like your so much better. You've only been here since January, and practically live on this site. I think it's very "noob" to plaster your drone with cheesy led lights, like my ten year old son wants me to do.

As for returning for wrecking.... Apple has loose return policy. Just the way it is. I've returned so many devices for a new one. They are very liberal, and even have a policy to replace one device per time regardless of the damage. Steve Jobs was liberal and so are their policies.

like he said he crashed it I got a lot of hassle for telling him to learn on a smaller one first. no it isn't right to try and cheat the company for your mistake if that is how you live your life then karma will come back to haunt you , suck it up and just buy another one lesson learned be a man and don't listen to people trying to scam apple

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jussaguy
You are hurting all consumers, sellers and manufacturers by doing this. What is wrong with people these days? Why do people feel it is OK to screw the seller/maker?

If you go in and explain what happened and they replace is that wrong? Apple has always been loose.

If you go in and explain what happened and they replace is that wrong? Apple has always been loose.

TJ this flpholt guy is a bully

If the store sys fine, OK. Maybe I am wrong and you can go into Apple and tell them you crashed it because of your own fault and they will happily exchange it for you?
I am an Apple user form way back, before the Macintosh days and I had to fight with them over replacing a top of the line, custom ordered with all the bells & whistles 27" iMac not to long ago. It had a hardware problem that cause the display to go crazy with weird colors and a messed up image. It was a known issue with the 21" but not the 27". I had to make special arrangements with them to accept it back at the store. Had a heck of a time and it was clearly their problem. I took it back to them the same day I received it.

As far as members go, if you see a problem, smash the report button. Let the staff handle it instead of trying to do it yourself as some members try to do. That just leads to more problems.

Does your DJI app say (in red) "Gimble Overload" in the top bar?

Did you crack the gimble arm?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Some on here are very helpful and constructive but you always have to account for the [EXPLETIVE REMOVED]It appears to me a slight error was made BUT the P4 should if being flown out of sport mode and facing forwards should have responded via the object avoidance system which is one of the major selling points championed by DJI. I would return to DJI in the hope that the failure of the system may provide grounds for them repairing F.O.C.

like he said he crashed it I got a lot of hassle for telling him to learn on a smaller one first...
This is not rocket science... You can get the point across, but in a manner that is actually helpful and not derogatory or condescending. The OP stated he was new to this (at least the Phantom) and was looking for help with figuring out what his options were.

Reactions: Jonah
Wow... not even sure what to say about this post. You sir are a despicable person. You advocate screwing everyone but yourself. Your logic is completely flawed. No one has made an honest living being a crook and yes, Apple & DJI do lose money when you scam them. If you can't afford to lose one, don't buy one. There are cost involved in this hobby and you don't seem to be able to afford the real cost of admission. This may not be the hobby for you.

Despicable person is pretty strong and you've taken me back a bit by this. I am just frustrated with how DJI handle their customers. I did go a bit overboard with my post and I apologize. There are many people that do a lot of hard work to get where they are today.

As others have said, the poster may have a case if the obstacle avoidance system didn't work as expected.

Hopefully OP gets his fixed and then get back to the fun of flying. :)

Stealthmatt is joking for sure , regarding getting stuff from Apple
Otherwise next time you can go to Apple Store get a black garbage bag and put a couple of P4 , with one P3 prof in case if the P4 does not get the announced range.
Then you leave the store backward so they would not notice your face from behind !

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: flpholt
So......

I was at the Apple store at 11am, the first person that saw me come in turned out to be the same person that sold it to my wife 2 weeks ago, (he recognized our surname which is a little unique)
He asked what the problem was. I said `to be totally honest with you, i crashed it into a tree yesterday and since then the camera has been shaking side to side` his exact words were ` These things happen, would you like an exchange or a refund?` i said `if its possible an exchange`.

He walked over to the shelf, picked out a new one and scanned the code on the box, said id get a new receipt e mailed to me and that was it! Before i walked out, i asked if he would open the returned box to look inside and make sure everything was there. He opened it, glanced through it and said all looks good, i pointed out the small crack on the shell, he looked, looked at me and said `youre good to go` and i left.

I went to work this afternoon, made a few hundred bucks and called in the store Apple on my way home and bought a couple of spare batteries off the same guy:)

Ive also just bought a Hubsan x4 on Amazon :) I'm gonna call USAA tomorrow and see about getting insurance coverage for the Phantom.

Thanks for all the replies (well 99% of them:) i appreciate the comments. As someone said in a post above, i AM a stand up guy. Last week a woman left her iPhone on the checkout in-front of me, i ran after her and gave it her back, 20 minutes later i found a key fob in Targets parking lot, i handed it into customer services and the woman said a guy had just been in 10 minutes before to ask if it had been handed in and had left his number:) I believe in karma :)

Thanks again

P.S. I really was devastated yesterday when it crashed, my wife came out with me to see the flight and we both were a little down the rest of the day. The first reply to my OP didn't make it easier :( but all worked out in the end. :)

Get your 4 fixed, and keep flying it. Your learning the hard way which most of us have in one way or another. You will most likely be very cautious around trees now that you had your mishap. If you can afford it buy a P3a or p3p as a back up to keep you flying. Smokin deals out there on used ones! I tell new pilots to resist the temptation of flying in their back yards or areas with obstructions while they are learning. Go to a wide open area and learn orientation, stick control, battery management, and most important learn to fly in non GPS mode. This can save your bacon if things get funky with GPS. My first drone crashed into my fence in the yard because I was soo excited to fly when I first bought it, I failed to charge the battery fully. Lesson learned.
Have fun and safe flying!

So......

P.S. I really was devastated yesterday when it crashed, my wife came out with me to see the flight and we both were a little down the rest of the day. The first reply to my OP didn't make it easier :( but all worked out in the end. :)

Glad it worked out. Apple is certainly the best company I've ever dealt with for customer service.

By doing what?

And the guy above this post is a "disposable person"? What is it that you are saying I am doing wrong?

I did not advocate lying or stealing nor would I.

You have said before you know an employee at Apple and he helps you to scam the company... normally stores, Apple included, will not cover you for your own stupidity, nor should you expect them to.
I know several employees at Apple.

Them doing something that is within their discretion to do DOES NOT raise to the level of scamming. I can't bring in an iPad 1 and exchange it for a Pro. I can't go in and ask for something free (stealing). So if I have people that help me out within the confines of the discretionary policies of the store, company or whatever, what matter is it to anyone?

What exactly are you accusing me of? What about when companies send me free things for the exchange of bartered services? Is this against your rules too? Because I've gotten free stuff often from various companies because I can help them.

How about every time Mike posts something with a link to his DJI affiliate or Amazon affiliate and they give him 8%. That 8% is money that costs the company money.

No, it's fine because he is offering a service for a service.

Edit: ok, I see you have been using apple for as long as I have. My first Apple was the IIe so me too but I once destroyed a 2007 logic board while installing a drive by dropping the screwdriver on it and they gave me a brand new whole Mac tower in 2009!

So different outcomes for different people. They knew exactly what happened.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik