I bought the wrong iPad

I'm sorry I dont see where it says this, so if I have the iPad Air 2 not cellular, my return home won't work?!?!

No that's not the case.

Some are making having an Apple product with cellular seem necessary, because of the GPS enhancement of the Apple cellular products. Evidently, there are some features of the app that need the GPS functionality to work. It's sounding as though those enhancements aren't for everyone, and seemingly generally not missed. In my opinion.

I personally don't use the orientation of the remote (eg the animation shown in the video) to judge my position- I use my eyes on the bird. That's just me. I get that some might use it.

Mark.

It will work perfectly. Mini 3 16 - no cell - works excellent. Much better that Samsung with cell
It will ONLY work perfectly IF you are trying to return to home and you intend that home position to be the location the Phantom took off from. If you are wanting it to return to YOUR location then NO.. IT WILL NOT WORK because you cant set that location as the new home.

The problem is really two separate issues.

First, there are features that we do know exist, and obviously many that we dont, that require the tablet/phone to have a GPS location. Many don't care about those options. But that hardly means those functions aren't valuable to many others.

Second issue is that Apple, in all their typical marketing thievery, felt that if a person doesn't want to pay for cell service to their tablet then they have no need for GPS either. Many people didn't/don't understand that. And in that, many are making poor purchasing decisions!! Myself included!

The end all simple solution is to weigh the benefits of GPS at the transmitter and decide if you want to pay twice as much for a cell-enabled Apple with 2 year old tech, or buy an Android device that ALWAYS has GPS and has todays cutting edge tech. Pretty **** simple!

For me, I know I want to take advantage of those potential future abilities. I know I hate Apple. So I returned my iPud Mini 2 non-GPS POS and paid the few $$s more for an iPud Air 2 cell model. My wife cant live without her new addiction to FaceTime. o-0

I hear you on the way Apple does what it does. I will say that I tried the Android way, and it seemed unrefined to me. Not a fan of the Apple, but now have a few lying around the house. For me it became the lesser of the two evils, so to speak.

Definitely a better experience with an Apple product when talking about the use of the Pilot App. I also noticed the difference between things like the eBay app when I used my Android - not sure if I didn't like it b/c I had originally only used the App on my iPhone, and that's what I became accustomed to, or if it was actually better...? I will say I no longer use the Android tab.

I like how one member put it; if the GPS functions become so that I need them, I can use my phone, and or it will give me a great excuse to buy the latest tech.

Mark

Last edited:
I actually had a great experience while using my Galaxy Tab 4, but the **** cradle is too small to hold it. So I had to buy something that would fit.

It will ONLY work perfectly IF you are trying to return to home and you intend that home position to be the location the Phantom took off from. If you are wanting it to return to YOUR location then NO.. IT WILL NOT WORK because you cant set that location as the new home.

Why do I want to change my landing location? It is home point - all my bags with batteries and charger are there, car is parked somewhere close to that place . I do not want my Home point to be changed due to some Iphone gps error. Let it be one dji gps that sits in controller.

I agree normally that the home point would not change but let's say you take of from a boat which is drifting. Might need to change it to save a splash in an emergency!!

Do all mobile phones like galaxy s6 and iphone 6 plus allow the gps features to work
bit confussed thanks

Why do I want to change my landing location? It is home point - all my bags with batteries and charger are there, car is parked somewhere close to that place . I do not want my Home point to be changed due to some Iphone gps error. Let it be one dji gps that sits in controller.
In the controller?? WTF are you talking about? YOU are obviously totally confused! The PHANTOM has GPS and the tablet/phone CAN have GPS.... PERIOD!!
And as I said, some choose to use the features, and some wont.

so glad to hear this. thanks!!

Cellular comes with GPS. GPS enables you to set your controller as the home point if your moving around while flying (walking, boating etc.).

Cellular is nice because it enables you to get mapping in the Pilot App without having to cache it first from a wifi network. Someone mentioned tethering their iPAd to their iPhone while flying. Not really a good idea as that's communicating over a 2.4ghz network the same spectrum that your controller uses for the RC control and video feed from your Phantom.

Now there are Android phones out there that let you tether using the 5ghz spectrum from the phone. This wouldn't have the same risk as using 2.4ghz. People may say the 2.4ghz tether works fine but I personally won't risk it.

I find it MORE than annoying that DJI does not make this clear on their website or even in the P3 user guide which says...all you need is iOS 8.0. I had a P2+ that worked just fine with my iPhone. When I ordered the P3, I also bought a iPad Mini only to find out I couldn't even download the Pilot app because, why? It didn't say. So then I ordered an iPad Air 2...only to find out it does not have GPS!

As Ive said a dozen time, Apple really screwed its customers by deciding for them that they didnt need GPS. All for the purpose of feeding, originally ATT, more cell customers. It all boils down to assuming customers were stupid, and taking advantage of that.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
Lol.. need a tissue? Im not bashing anything. Just pointing out facts. Get over it or go away.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I find it MORE than annoying that DJI does not make this clear on their website or even in the P3 user guide which says...all you need is iOS 8.0. I had a P2+ that worked just fine with my iPhone. When I ordered the P3, I also bought a iPad Mini only to find out I couldn't even download the Pilot app because, why? It didn't say. So then I ordered an iPad Air 2...only to find out it does not have GPS!

With or without cellular the app works great. The cellular models have some enhancements that some enjoy. A cellular model is not necessary.

I too have noticed Steve Moore is an Apple hater, to each his own.

I'm not necessarily an Apple lover, but do have a few now. [emoji16]

Mark.

The new iPad has arrived. Really like having the GPS. It's nice to be able to set the return point to the remote, but also the app now accurately show the position and direction of the remote.
I have the position and direction problem on my iPad Air 2 as well. Is this a known fault that can't be rectified unless you have the cellular version? Does tethering to an iPhone solve this?

Hi, I could not record Home point . I Kept receiving message of warning No home point recorded. However the H symbol on the map was showing the correct position. I made a test flight and activated the RTH, P3 came back correctly. Is there a known software bug which explain this ? Thanks

Luckily... I read the forums before i bought a second ipad mini2 cellular... Changing your home point is useful...when the bird is on flight and i found a new better home point or suddenly people stated showing up on the original home point, i walk in there and set a new home point.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik