Hyperlapse with Litchi And P4

Reaction score
Is anyone doing hyperlapse time lapses using Litchi or autoflight logic?

I am wondering if you could share images, suggestions or settings?

I would like to plan a route of only a few yards during a 15 minute flight, while recording a time lapse. What's the best way to do this?

Sort of like this but from the air: Atlantic Highlands Harbor Hyperlapse

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I'm not partial that effect, I don't see much commercial use for it. I kinda like the ability to do time phased videos with Litchi, that's my current passion. Such as this video going from morning to afternoon, to night, using matched multiple flights, utilizing Litchi to repeat the flights. There's a lot of room for improvement on the editing in this one, but this give you small sample of the effect.

Last edited:
Very cool, thanks for sharing, love the transitions! Sorry you don't like Hyperlapse, however this is the technique I'd like to figure out, and I do have commercial assignments (non real estate) for it.

I would think you can simply plot your short way-point course at .2mph, (264ft per 15min), or whatever speed you want, and capture a ~10min flight video. Then in post editing simply speed up the video 50X and see how that looks for an 12 second video. I think .2mph is the slowest Litchi will fly.

Last edited:
Just use the time lapse selection under Camera Settings. You can select Single/Burst3-5-7/Timelapse/HDR/AEB/Timer. Set 1 to 5 second intervals depending on how fast you want your final clip to run.

Reactions: Juergen B
Thanks John! I will play with the Litchi course settings, but actually will be playing with individual camera raw frame sequences instead of shooting video, as I'm using LRTimelapse software, will post a report here when done.

Just use the time lapse selection under Camera Settings. You can select Single/Burst3-5-7/Timelapse/HDR/AEB/Timer. Set 1 to 5 second intervals depending on how fast you want your final clip to run.
Where can I see the timelapse options in Litchi's Mission Hub? I don't see it anywhere when taking photos.

If Litchi turns out to be no good for this, I wonder if a waypoint mission in DJI GO would work while doing time lapse shots. Since I'm only looking to fly a short distance. Will have to experiment on this.

I'm thinking the Go app won't fly slow enough to accomplish what you want to do.

Worried about that too... Here is what it says on the Litchi site though: "General camera settings as well as shooting modes (Single/Burst3-5-7/Timelapse/HDR/AEB/Timer) can be adjusted after a tap on the camera settings icon under the shutter/record button." I think you have to be connected to the craft for the menu to work.

I'm not partial that effect, I don't see much commercial use for it. I kinda like the ability to do time phased videos with Litchi, that's my current passion. Such as this video going from morning to afternoon, to night, using matched multiple flights, utilizing Litchi to repeat the flights. There's a lot of room for improvement on the editing in this one, but this give you small sample of the effect.

Very nice.

Too windy to fly today, but I fired up the P4 in Litchy.

Constraints for the LRTimelapse hyperlapse settings I want to do seem to be as follows:
  1. Litchi DOES supports timelapse intervals starting with 1 second apart, but this does not seem to work for a Phantom4, where the lowest interval I can actually select is 10 seconds, then 11 seconds, 12,13 and so on. So I cannot seem to select a 2 second interval using Litchi and a P4, for example.
    • Has anyone been able to shoot timelapses less than 10 seconds apart with a P4?
  2. The slowest speed in waypoint mode I can select is 0.2 mph, so the slowest I can go would be 264 feet for a 15 minute flight
So unfortunately this means during a 15 minute flight I can only shoot a maximum of 90 exposures (not enough for the sort of timelapses I had in mind)

I guess my only alternative to get the LRTimelapse effect I want is to record 4K video at the lowest possible framerate (24 I think), then extract individual frames using my "Video To Image Converter" app, then process the frames in LRTimelapse. Hmmm...

Oh wow. Love the time phase shots idea. In my mind it could be sooo much cooler than this example, using much much slower flight speeds and then speeding up the footage making the transitions much quicker. Maybe somehow use after effects to merge the shots, Totally going to have to play with this!! THANK YOU. Love projects that require patience :)

I'm unsure what the benefit is to slow down the craft then speed up the video. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't turn out as smooth of a flight replay. But yes, this example is my first try, it could be better. The elevation level between these flights was not exact, off by 6 or 7 feet it seems. This could be from the wind, but I'm not really sure. You don't see this until you start editing, then you wish you had three captures for each time slot.

Sorry - didn't mean to sound rude (didn't actually realise it was your footage, so my apologies) - was just over excited. My thinking was if you did it at say sunrise, break down the mission into portions, slow down the bird, and do a full, say 22 mins doing 1/10 of an orbit, then next battery doing 2/10 - rinse wash and repeat. Recharge, go back out and do it again. When speeded up to a 'normal orbit', would you not capture more of shifting light, in effect combining time phased and time lapse? I'm no editor, just playing it out in my mind.

Too windy to fly today, but I fired up the P4 in Litchy.

Constraints for the LRTimelapse hyperlapse settings I want to do seem to be as follows:
  1. Litchi DOES supports timelapse intervals starting with 1 second apart, but this does not seem to work for a Phantom4, where the lowest interval I can actually select is 10 seconds, then 11 seconds, 12,13 and so on. So I cannot seem to select a 2 second interval using Litchi and a P4, for example.
    • Has anyone been able to shoot timelapses less than 10 seconds apart with a P4?
  2. The slowest speed in waypoint mode I can select is 0.2 mph, so the slowest I can go would be 264 feet for a 15 minute flight
So unfortunately this means during a 15 minute flight I can only shoot a maximum of 90 exposures (not enough for the sort of timelapses I had in mind)

I guess my only alternative to get the LRTimelapse effect I want is to record 4K video at the lowest possible framerate (24 I think), then extract individual frames using my "Video To Image Converter" app, then process the frames in LRTimelapse. Hmmm...
A 1 second interval can be selected by shooting Jpeg instead of Raw this can still be edited together in LR Time-lapse

Reactions: Juergen B

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers