How to upgrede compass on Phantom 2

Reaction score
I decided to upgrade the compass to reduce the risk of flyaway.
There are two variants:
- Part #16 for Phantom 2 and Vision
- Part #18 for Phantom 2 Vision+
Important! After replace the compass make sure to perform the Compass Calibration procedures prior to the first flight.

Have fun and fly safe!
Adrian

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm not sure why you think a new compass is an upgrade or how you think it will reduce the risk of flyaway.
It will point to the same north in the same way.
Are you having a problem with your compass?

6 months ago I had the experience of a flyaway. DJI warranty repaired by replace the case, gimbal, and FC.
In the latest version of Phantom, DJI replaced compass with a new module, I think this is good to upgrade.

Well it's your money but changing the compass has nothing to do with a flyaway. Secondly why do you need approval to change the compass?

I am unsure why one would say the compass has nothing to do with fly aways.

I am sure a malfunctioning compass sending bad data or headings could in fact have a fly away as a result. Once the Naza gets bad info its going to try to adjust and away it may go , or not.

Not saying fly aways are all caused by compass. simply saying bad compass can cause fly away's.
No one knows why , that's why we do foil, gps antenna, etc , updates. Preventive Maintenance

the P2V3 did get a new upgraded ANTI-STATIC compass. this was done for a reason. DJI doesn't do this for fun.

It makes perfect sense to do this for under 20.00

That's the problem with most of you here you're ready to blame the equipment but rarely the pilot. Must be something magical about my P2 because the only time i calibrate my compass is after i've had the shell opened to either place something or a modification.

I do think some spend to much time on these forums reading horror stories about flyaways. This is not to say equipment cannot fail because it does.

That's the problem with most of you here you're ready to blame the equipment but rarely the pilot. Must be something magical about my P2 because the only time i calibrate my compass is after i've had the shell opened to either place something or a modification.

I do think some spend to much time on these forums reading horror stories about flyaways. This is not to say equipment cannot fail because it does.

what does pilot have to do with discussion of the mfg DJI upgrading a part to better specs.

I am glad you are a super pilot and feel we. those with hardware issues just don't cut it as pilots in your mind

if you have nothing to say to help or fix an issue shut the f up!

I have Hundreds and hundreds of flights and still have my quad(s), but I do update to make sure I do KEEP it!

what does pilot have to do with discussion of the mfg DJI upgrading a part to better specs.

I am glad you are a super pilot and feel we. those with hardware issues just don't cut it as pilots in your mind

if you have nothing to say to help or fix an issue shut the f up! :eek: :(

I have Hundreds and hundreds of flights and still have my quad(s), but I do update to make sure I do KEEP it!

If you don't like what I had to say THAT'S LIFE. And I also still have mine well over a year.

Well.... chill pills are found third aisle on the left... ;-)

I suspect the reason for the compass upgrade is the supply chain, and possibly the enclosed unit stops particles of iron (off the ground) and inadvertent touches from a magnetic screw driver etc..
I still have the "standard" compass.. some places I fly have a very high iron content from long gone industrial processes.

Been a while since I've posted here but I've got a question.
I have the Phantom 2 (original version) with Zenmuse H3-3D Gimbal.
I wanted to upgrade the compass to the newer Ant-Static (enclosed) version. I saw 2 versions. Part # 16 (Phantom 2/ Phantom 2 Vision) and Part # 18 ( Phantom 2 Vision +)
Part #16 uses the regular height Landing Skids. These suck if you have a filter on your GoPro or a longer VTX Antenna.
Part # 18 uses slightly taller Landing Skids which give more clearance. I wanted the taller Skids and the dealer said I can use Part #18 on my Phantom 2.

Now I see online that Part #18 is for the Vision + Only!! So that must mean that the Compass is different between the P2/P2V and the P2V+?

if you have nothing to say to help or fix an issue shut the f up!

I've yet to read a thread on here about a defective compass. Defective pilots, yep. Can't swing a stick without hitting one.

Did I miss one? Perhaps. I missed this most excellent one.

Been a while since I've posted here but I've got a question.
I have the Phantom 2 (original version) with Zenmuse H3-3D Gimbal.
I wanted to upgrade the compass to the newer Ant-Static (enclosed) version. I saw 2 versions. Part # 16 (Phantom 2/ Phantom 2 Vision) and Part # 18 ( Phantom 2 Vision +)
Part #16 uses the regular height Landing Skids. These suck if you have a filter on your GoPro or a longer VTX Antenna.
Part # 18 uses slightly taller Landing Skids which give more clearance. I wanted the taller Skids and the dealer said I can use Part #18 on my Phantom 2.

Now I see online that Part #18 is for the Vision + Only!! So that must mean that the Compass is different between the P2/P2V and the P2V+?

They are same. Just different height.
I have both. 1 was from a crashed Vision+ (taller) and the other was from Ezookial who had his phantom carbon dipped and had a spare.
I didn't know there was a difference until I installed the leg. My phantom was sitting on an angle.

So far, on a couple ocassions my GPS jumped from 0 to 10/14 them back to 0 in seconds, and so on, leds were like a Christmas tree, changing colours constantly, first time thought gps module was broken, months later, on second time, calibrated compass on field and gps stabilized and worked properlly, so I will upgrade compass too.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic