How to turn off RTH

Reaction score
Hello all I am new to this forum and to the Phantoms
I have a Vision Plus V3
I fly almost exclusively over the ocean and several miles from shore. I would like to turn off rth so that in the event that I lose connection with my phantom I am hoping I could set it up to just hold position where it is and hover there until I regain control or its battery dies. is this possible and how do I do it?

That's not possible. Also -- keep in mind that the Phantom will auto land at its current location if the transmitter connection is lost and the home point has not been marked.

That's not possible. Also -- keep in mind that the Phantom will auto land at its current location if the transmitter connection is lost and the home point has not been marked.

doesn't it set a new home point in ready to fly mode every flight ?

It will set a home point on startup after 6+ satellites have been acquired. It's possible to take off before that occurs though.

It will set a home point on startup after 6+ satellites have been acquired. It's possible to take off before that occurs though.
I always wait for 10 satellites so I'm guessing my best options are to either set the home point at each flight and then mark the spot on the boats gps and try to get back to that location before it lands. Or would it be better to have a land based home location and set the return home altitude high and try to get there first ? Your thoughts?

Land-based would probably be the safest way to go.

Land-based would probably be the safest way to go.
Thx so am I correct in my understanding that I can set the return altitude? And it will fly back at that altitude till it reaches a certain point in the battery level then slowly land itself where ever it might be along the path to the home point ? And a set home point will take precedents over any takeoff points?

am I correct in my understanding that I can set the return altitude?
Yes. Click "Altitude" at the bottom of the DJI Vision app to change that setting. Before your Phantom starts returning home, it'll ascend to that altitude.

will fly back at that altitude till it reaches a certain point in the battery level then slowly land itself where ever it might be along the path to the home point
Correct. If the battery level hits the critical low level, your Phantom will auto land at its current location. That will occur at any point during your flight -- even when not returning to home. The same thing will happen if your Phantom has less than 6 satellites when it loses control with the remote controller.

a set home point will take precedents over any takeoff points?
The home point is only set once after startup when it first acquires 6+ satellites. You can manually reset the home point after that point by toggling the S2 switch between the middle and bottom position 5 times.

Yes. Click "Altitude" at the bottom of the DJI Vision app to change that setting. Before your Phantom starts returning home, it'll ascend to that altitude.

Correct. If the battery level hits the critical low level, your Phantom will auto land at its current location. That will occur at any point during your flight -- even when not returning to home. The same thing will happen if your Phantom has less than 6 satellites when it loses control with the remote controller.

The home point is only set once after startup when it first acquires 6+ satellites. You can manually reset the home point after that point by toggling the S2 switch between the middle and bottom position 5 times.

So setting the home point manually by toggling the S2 switch is not permanent it would have to be set for each flight ?

Correct. The home point is reset each time you turn the Phantom off and back on.

Or you could just turn on your dynamic home point so it comes back to where ever your phone is. Providing you have cell coverage.

Okay but if I don't manually set a home point and it loses connection to the remote it will land where ever it currently is is that correct

If you're outside near any body of water, the sky should be wide open. That said, you will most definitely have 6+ satellites at startup and the home point will be auto set. If the home point is really never set though, then I'm not sure where the Phantom will think the home point is located. It's safest never to take off before the home point is auto set.

You can enable the "Dynamic Home Point" setting in the "Settings" section of the DJI Vision app.

No. It uses the GPS location on your mobile device each time it marks the home point (I believe it marks it once per minute). And, then when returning home, your Phantom will return back to the last marked home point.

No. It uses the GPS location on your mobile device each time it marks the home point (I believe it marks it once per minute). And, then when returning home, your Phantom will return back to the last marked home point.
I think that sounds like the best option I have an iPad mini I use to fly with doesn't have cellular but has everything else thx guys for your input.
Is there a reputable place to get aftermarket bodies or shells to replace the white one looking to get something that would have better contrasts against the ocean w/o painting and adding weight

I have an iPad mini I use to fly with doesn't have cellular
Do you have a cellular model of the iPad Mini? If not, it will not work. Only the cellular models have GPS. The cell service does not have to be enabled in order to use the GPS.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic