How to tell if you have old shell or new...

Reaction score
This is an easy way to tell if you have the new reenforced shell or the old style. Just hold it up to a light, if you see diagonal lines it's the new shell. The first pic is the old one. The second is the new. You will also notice the old shell is a lot easier to see through.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1444618190.744800.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1444618211.780339.jpg

It's ok. I had and old one and flew it wayyyy harder than I should have and it never cracked.

That's not actually quite right if you have a new shell or not.
There is 4 variants.
Shell with full motor tabs and no X brace - cracks reported.
Shell with full motor tabs and X brace - cracks reported
Shell with pointy motor tabs and no X brace (P3 Standard shells) - no cracks reported
Shell with pointy motor tabs and X brace and larger ventilation and motor screw indention - latest release, unreported.

You don't need to open your phantom. Just simply remove the 4 motor screws and lift out the motors and have a peek.

Reactions: Mr.Spock
Checked my P3P with a light yesterday and can confirm I have the older shell as there is no x-brace.

I did have it exchanged by Maplins (UK authorised seller) last month and it came with a black Panasonic SD card as opposed to the Lexar which my P3A came with.

I will be flying out in December, what i may do is go in next month and have it exchanged, so far have the old motors too.

I have also taken active braking down to 75%.

After every flight I do a thorough check of my P3P motor arms and the whole P3P as well as clean it with a anti bacterial wipe and so far so good.

Its a pitty that I have to keep active braking down to 75% considering I can have it at 100% and also it being set at 100% from factory.

Reactions: K Henry
Does the motors play a role on the reinforced shells?

It could be that the newer motors have reinforced shells vs the previous ones..

Does the motors play a role on the reinforced shells?

It could be that the newer motors have reinforced shells vs the previous ones..
No, I have two p3p the first one was the old shell and the new one is the newer shell with the x brace. They both come with the first gem motor. Only the new new ones come with the new motors. I wish there was a p3p.2 or p3p.3 so we could identify them

Reactions: schroeder1959
My latest I ordered from DJI and it came in about two weeks ago. New motors, X brace shell. So far so good but it ain't a lot flights we're talking about here. One thing that might help with longevity is the heat produced by the motors is almost nil. Compared to the old motors the heat difference is substantial. Battery temps are also drastically reduced. Also, if you look at the new motors, the bottom design offers far better support it seems. But I could be mistaken. Time will tell but I am leaning on getting another one quickly as a spare since if I order soon my chances of getting the same shell type with wider ribbing and X brace is pretty good. DJI ain't talking much at all about this cause, after all, it's no different a situation as when the phantom 2 version 3 started coming in with relief gluing on the ESC wires. Stuff like this DJI keeps pretty quiet about.

Reactions: K Henry
Anyone have pics of the new vs old motors?

My aircraft is in for warranty repair on shell cracks. It appears to be going well. They sent me a shipping label, received it 2 days later and within a day or so assessed it and began repairs according to the website. So far I'm impressed but won't count my chickens before they hatch. They gave me an estimate originally of 2-3 weeks.

No, I have two p3p the first one was the old shell and the new one is the newer shell with the x brace. They both come with the first gem motor. Only the new new ones come with the new motors. I wish there was a p3p.2 or p3p.3 so we could identify them

It seems there are about a dozen or more variants of the P3 now with the PS, PA, PP; two or more shells and two motor types?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31