How to tell if you have old shell or new...

I would think there ARE four variants, not there IS four variants.

We have some members whose excellent ideas and questions contribute to the thread, despite not being grammatically correct. They may not be native English speakers, so kudos to them for contributing.

BTW Hitler's speechwriter's proofreader was a grammar Nazi.

I just checked mine and it's an old shell, no cracks so far, no problems so far, no crashes, no hard landings. works perfect after 33 flights

Mine was replaced about a month ago, it does not have the extra tabs that I can see when I shine I bright light down through the motors like in the pictures at the start of this post but it definitely has bigger side vents so god knows what version that makes mine.

so, is the OP right?

some are saying that that is NOT a way to tell if you have the new or old shell.

if the OP is right, they fixed my old cracked shell and replaced it with another old shell!

Maybe not because Heliguy told me I had the New latest shell but it hasn't got them extra tabs but does have the bigger vents.

I posted this in another discussion area, and to date, I still have not heard back from DJI or the Authorised DJI Distributor where I purchased my P3P. To date, I have had no issues, that I know of, with cracking. All flights have gone well. (KNOCK ON WOOD!!) Any thoughts from anyone here?

I have sent a request into DJI and to where I purchased my P3P from about getting the updated motors and frame, and I have not heard a thing back from either of them. Since my order date was in mid October, I just thought I would be getting the updated frame and motors, but this was not the case. I didn't realize this until after I actually saw an image of what the new motors looked like. Up until then, I thought I had everything updated when I purchased the P3P since it was over a week after they made the announcement. So, apparently, DJI and their authorized dealers continued to sell the defective P3P even after they made an announcement that they were defective. This is where I have my issue. I am trying to correct it, and I have not heard anything back from the authorized dealer or DJI. Any comments or suggestions? Thank you!

oK... So I have the new shell.. that's a plus.
My follow on question is.. do the Carbon Fiber props cause less stress/vibration than the included white plastic versions? Thanks!

Vibrations are not related to the material of props. Unbalanced props create those vibrations. Even if the props are new, it's better to check for their balance. Also never use a damaged prop, keep spares always with you.

Vibrations are not related to the material of props. Unbalanced props create those vibrations. Even if the props are new, it's better to check for their balance. Also never use a damaged prop, keep spares always with you.
What is the best way to check for prop balance?

A quick way to check is to buy a balancer rod, that might cost you about $10 and use it on a leveled surface. People have reported that 25-75% stock props from DJI need balancing.

A quick way to check is to buy a balancer rod, that might cost you about $10 and use it on a leveled surface. People have reported that 25-75% stock props from DJI need balancing.
Okay, sorry to be a bother, but if a prop is out of balance, then what must be done to balance it? Thank you for your advice!

Okay, sorry to be a bother, but if a prop is out of balance, then what must be done to balance it? Thank you for your advice!
Use a balancer to figure out whats causing unbalance. Correct it either by fine sanding or attach a tape on the lighter side. Sanding is better if you are careful as it gives a long lasting solution.

Look at the internet, there are so many threads on how to balance P3 props. Use a direct rod to mount a prop, avoid using any rubber bush in between.

Reactions: schroeder1959
I have balanced all of my props using the Du-Bro and the special shaft for self tightening props... the carbon fiber reinforced versions were much closer to perfect balance right out of the package. All is good! OH, I use fingernail polish to add weight in the balancing process.. long lasting, tightly adhering, quick dry... I didn't like getting dust from the sanding process, so opted for thin coating.

Last edited:
I have balanced all of my props using the Du-Bro and the special shaft for self tightening props... the carbon fiber reinforced versions were much closer to perfect balance right out of the package. All it good! OH, I use fingernail polish to add weight in the balancing process.. long lasting, tightly adhering, quick dry... I didn't like getting dust from the sanding process, so opted for thin coating.
Cool.

All these are static balancing as we don't know how do props perform during running conditions. A small deviation on prop aero-profile may lead to heavy mismatch during high speed running. We can't do much on that aspect as we don't have expensive dynamic balancing machines. Let's be happy with what we have.

That technically doesn't mean it's new...
Only way is to remove the motors and have a looksee..
(sorry about spelling - I should really read before posting0.
Comparison%20Motor%20mounts.jpg

To date, I have had no issues, that I know of, with cracking. All flights have gone well. (KNOCK ON WOOD!!) Any thoughts from anyone here?
I have sent a request into DJI and to where I purchased my P3P from about getting the updated motors and frame, and I have not heard a thing back from either of them. Since my order date was in mid October, I just thought I would be getting the updated frame and motors, but this was not the case. I didn't realize this until after I actually saw an image of what the new motors looked like. Up until then, I thought I had everything updated when I purchased the P3P since it was over a week after they made the announcement. So, apparently, DJI and their authorized dealers continued to sell the defective P3P even after they made an announcement that they were defective. This is where I have my issue. I am trying to correct it, and I have not heard anything back from the authorized dealer or DJI. Any comments or suggestions? Thank you!
You've made a mistake assuming that the original motors or shell are defective and that the newer style is some sort of correction.
There has never been any announcement to suggest this.
A small number of the early shells have shown cracking problems (most likely due to a bad batch of plastic or poor moulding) but the majority have no problems at all.
There is no evidence at all that the new motors etc were introduced to fix any problems or that there is a problem inherent in the original design.
If your shell does develop cracking, DJI will replace it - but most dont.
Stop worrying and enjoy flying.

I'm surprised to notice that though the motor mounting base has been made flat in the new motors, but the shell base has been retained with the similar design.

X brace in the middle for me suggests a "version3" of the shell...

Things are getting interesting.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31