How to tell if you have old shell or new...

I posted this in another discussion area, and to date, I still have not heard back from DJI or the Authorised DJI Distributor where I purchased my P3P. To date, I have had no issues, that I know of, with cracking. All flights have gone well. (KNOCK ON WOOD!!) Any thoughts from anyone here?

I have sent a request into DJI and to where I purchased my P3P from about getting the updated motors and frame, and I have not heard a thing back from either of them. Since my order date was in mid October, I just thought I would be getting the updated frame and motors, but this was not the case. I didn't realize this until after I actually saw an image of what the new motors looked like. Up until then, I thought I had everything updated when I purchased the P3P since it was over a week after they made the announcement. So, apparently, DJI and their authorized dealers continued to sell the defective P3P even after they made an announcement that they were defective. This is where I have my issue. I am trying to correct it, and I have not heard anything back from the authorized dealer or DJI. Any comments or suggestions? Thank you!
Here is the announcement I was referring to in my previous posts.
Compatibility Notice for New Phantom 3 Professional/Advanced Motors
Read it again.
That just says that DJI changed the motors and ESCs during the production run.
It's informing that because the new motors require a different ESC, that the main board for the original motors is not compatible with the newer motors.
There's nothing in it that says or implies anything is defective about the original run of P3s.

X brace in the middle for me suggests a "version3" of the shell...

Things are getting interesting.....
That little x-brace will not provide any additional strength.

Read it again.
That just says that DJI changed the motors and ESCs during the production run.
It's informing that because the new motors require a different ESC, that the main board for the original motors is not compatible with the newer motors.
There's nothing in it that says or implies anything is defective about the original run of P3s.
The rating of motors are different hence new ESC may be required. I believe they also simplified the design of board from easy manufacturing point of view. I hv not seen the new board so can't comment.

Speaking of the Phantom shell. I had little blood spots on my props and shell after flying today. I think some bugs had a bad day. My day was great!

Speaking of the Phantom shell. I had little blood spots on my props and shell after flying today. I think some bugs had a bad day. My day was great!
Clean the blood from those props else that would create unbalance> unbalance would create vibrations> vibrations would create extra stresses on shells> shells would crack> you will see more blood in forum So better clean your props now :)

Reactions: bobmyers
Clean the blood from those props else that would create unbalance> unbalance would create vibrations> vibrations would create extra stresses on shells> shells would crack> you will see more blood in forum So better clean your props now :)

I prefer to use the blood to balance the props. They seem just right now. If my shell cracks though it was the blood for sure. Lol

Reactions: bobmyers
That little x-brace will not provide any additional strength.
Probably not add strength, but its good reference point to identify the shell variants.

Probably not add strength, but its good reference point to identify the shell variants.

I agree. I want to stay on topic here to see if there is a version 3 of the shell. I'd rather not talk about blood from bug guts as that doesn't add anything here.

Following

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

This begs to be asked.... How would you know whether this does or doesn't add strength without any extensive testing?
The best way to mount a motor is to mount it on a flat base. That way you don't have to prove x braces to support raised mounts.

Alternatively mount screws through a flat plate outside, you will be much safer. This is how the strong plates work. Even if you are using a quick prop release plate, it will protect shells.

I just looked at my P3P and it does have the newly designed body with the diagonal supports near the motors. Does this mean I don't have to worry about stress cracks? Do I still need to lessen the torque on the two bolts under the motor?

Mike

I wonder the same thing GeoMike ??

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

My P3P went in with cracks in the lower case. Came back in about 10 days from service in CA. Just did the light check and found that I now have the new heavier upper and lower cases.
Thanks for the posting showing the difference in the cases.

Anyone know if there is such thing as "fake or non dji shells?"
Unless I've miscounted, you've got this same question running on 3 separate threads now. But I'm only going to say this once..... :)

Given the global nature of supply of things now, I would guess that DJI don't actually produce all their shells themselves in one massive factory but hive the work out the various and possibly numerous other factories within China, probably with a fairly cursory nod to quality control on location. Given that, I would think that it would be almost impossible to say definitively.

However, you seem to be doing the correct things - carefully inspecting the shell for obvious defects and anomalies and evaluating the general quality of what you have - the characteristics of the plastic, the good finish or lack of, and overall 'feel' of the product.

Of course, where you buy from is another indicator. You are more likely to get a knock-off from, say, a dingy back-street market in some un-named Chinese town than you are if you order from a DJI-authorised supplier. If you bought off Ebay or similar then you were able to look at the seller's feedback which can (but isn't always) a good indicator of whether people are happy with what they bought from that supplier.

Beyond that, I don't think there's much more that you can do. Even if some official hologrammed mark of authenticity were present, then that's easy enough to forge as well....

So, assuming that you've not spotted any serious failings in the quality of manufacturing or specification, I think you just have to assume it's OK, whether having been confirmed as 'DJI-produced' or not, and strap it all together and hope for the best.

I have a knock-off Chinese copy of a Honda generator - It's been going strong for years now....:)

Unless I've miscounted, you've got this same question running on 3 separate threads now. But I'm only going to say this once..... :)

Given the global nature of supply of things now, I would guess that DJI don't actually produce all their shells themselves in one massive factory but hive the work out the various and possibly numerous other factories within China, probably with a fairly cursory nod to quality control on location. Given that, I would think that it would be almost impossible to say definitively.

However, you seem to be doing the correct things - carefully inspecting the shell for obvious defects and anomalies and evaluating the general quality of what you have - the characteristics of the plastic, the good finish or lack of, and overall 'feel' of the product.

Of course, where you buy from is another indicator. You are more likely to get a knock-off from, say, a dingy back-street market in some un-named Chinese town than you are if you order from a DJI-authorised supplier. If you bought off Ebay or similar then you were able to look at the seller's feedback which can (but isn't always) a good indicator of whether people are happy with what they bought from that supplier.

Beyond that, I don't think there's much more that you can do. Even if some official hologrammed mark of authenticity were present, then that's easy enough to forge as well....

So, assuming that you've not spotted any serious failings in the quality of manufacturing or specification, I think you just have to assume it's OK, whether having been confirmed as 'DJI-produced' or not, and strap it all together and hope for the best.

I have a knock-off Chinese copy of a Honda generator - It's been going strong for years now....:)
I'm sorry for posting in multiple threads, I just haven't gotten an awnsers till now thanks to you and msinger. The only thing I can see is the legs and vents as mentioned in another thread (My biggest fear... has happened! HELP!!!). The shell did not come in a DJI part box, if it did I would be sure it is genuine. The guy said the get a bunch from DJI and sent me some pictures. It came in red bubble rap like it came to them from DJI. the shell comes with some wires and the leds. Did not know DJI made them with those. Other than the legs and vents, it all looks good.

Just noticed my cracked shell is the new with pointy tabs and X bracing. It also has the bigger vents. The shell I ordered has the smaller vents. Would the shell I ordered be safe to fly. I just want to be sure. The vents is the only thing I'm concerned about.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl