How to install Gimbal Tilt joystick!

Reaction score
I have a PV+ and replaced the broken stock camera with a Zenmuse / GoPro setup. I tried the 7th channel lever solutions you see everywhere, but was never happy with the camera drifting up or down unless you get the lever in the exact right spot to stop the movement. So I made a run to Radio Shack and picked up the potentiometer and knob thinking it would be easier to hit that magic 'neutral' zone to stop the movement if the knob was visible and on top of the transmitter. While I was there, I came across a second possibility but I wasn't confident it would work. Bought both setups for a whole $12.

We know the potentiometer will work as evidenced by the countless YouTube videos on how to install them. So I thought I'd try my other option first. A 2-axis mini joystick. Why? Because it naturally snaps back to neutral without having to put a dial or lever in the correct location to stop the movement. Exactly what I really wanted as that's what the upgraded DJI transmitter does with the tilting thumbwheel control.

23416-8c145eb765f8b5eb6c8fcc4e87e32544.jpg
23426-b452dedf23a2cabd1aadcf19116fa095.jpg

I started off by opening the transmitter and removing the top dial from the circuit board.
Then I soldered wire leads in their place.

23429-da2c1b48efec87d2d887a02848e3ae20.jpg

Then I soldered those leads to the joystick (took an educated guess as to what went where)

23425-81d8599f81a8a98d6f14dfca1f50a1d2.jpg

After a quick test, I was pleasantly surprised that it totally worked!

Then I drilled a 3/8" hole between the two flight control joysticks and 3/32" holes for the
mounting screws (#4 - 40 x 1 inch) Pre-packaged screws from Lowes

23428-ce200ac3aee379b93affe0e6c5c6448a.jpg

I tightened the tiny mounting screws, put the transmitter back together and recalibrated!

I did have to ream out the 3/8" hole with a small round rasp file to keep the joystick knob from hitting the wall. When it was hitting the wall it would go up very slowly. After giving it some more breathing room it moves at a nice speed in both directions.

I'm really happy with how it came out. Hope you find this interesting as an alternative to the lever and knob solutions! Happy flying.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nice pease of work muns[emoji106] i did the same and iT Works fine. But.... When i connected the iPhone and used the sofware, the software did work but after this the joystick refused working.. Any id whats wrong?

You also have a Vision+ with a Zenmuse and GoPro? What software are you using? I was not able to use iPhone with the DJI app after swapping the gimbal so I use FPV Booster. Did you calibrate the transmitter and change to the Upgrade version?

Yes i did calibrate and iT says no need for upgrade. No i Dont have a Gopro i am using the standaard vision+ camera. After turn off and on i can use the tilt until the software starts up.

I don't know that I can help you. I dont use that gimbal or the DJI software. Maybe try FPV Booster? I do like that software, but to buy both booster and camera features (sneaky in-app purchase to allow use of the camera) I think it cost me $18? Even so, I do like that as my flight software.

Hold on.. I think you need to change to the Upgraded Transmitter version. That's what I meant, not look to see if there was a software upgrade. I totally misread that in your previous comment. When you go to calibrate the transmitter (in the Phantom RC software), change the radio button under the calibration sliders from Basic Version to Upgrade Version. Hopefully that all it is!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31