how to get commercial license

Sorry, spell checker barfed again. Previous post should read "licensed pilots"...

Sorry to repeat- but I've not gotten an answer :
Have you (or anyone) narrowed down which parts of this we actually need? I'm having a hard time narrowing it down. There's lots of info there that doesn't apply to us as sUAV pilots.

Jephoto,
this thread in the General discussion forum may be what your looking for. A couple of members gave some great info for what to study
Some help to prepare for the 107 Exam!

not to beat a dead horse, but you don't really need a license. i guess that would only help if something went wrong, but odds of that are pretty slim if you aren't doing anything crazy. plus there are a lot more rules to flying if you get the license.

not to beat a dead horse, but you don't really need a license. i guess that would only help if something went wrong, but odds of that are pretty slim if you aren't doing anything crazy. plus there are a lot more rules to flying if you get the license.

You should read his original post closer...

Hey Guys,

Ive been flying my drone with a hobby license and now looking to get my commercial license. I have potential clients that require me to have this. How do I get this, whats the cost, study guide, etc?

Thanks!
Manh

His CLIENTS are requiring this of him.

If you're going to make $$ with your drone after August 29th you'll want to get a license. Part 107 "officially" makes it law to require an UAS Operator's Permit for commercial work.

Reactions: cfd701
His CLIENTS are requiring this of him.
ok if they are actually going to check, but just saying even though its one of those "rules", you could still do it without paying the money. not everybody can afford that stuff.

ok if they are actually going to check, but just saying even though its one of those "rules", you could still do it without paying the money. not everybody can afford that stuff.

Dude it's $150 for the test..... the first level of fines I believe are around $11,000

With all due respect you're giving VERY bad advice. Even though everyone should seek legal council on anything to do with business you should think long and hard before suggesting someone "go around the law" unless you're willing to help them if something goes wrong and they are caught.

Reactions: JBG
If it is anything like studying for a private or commercial license all one would have to do would read the FAA rules regarding the pertinent license and buy a sample test book. No reason to spend big $. I am a licensed commercial pilot. Here is a link to learn from the government on the cheap

Safer Skies Through Education - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov

Just so that others aren't confused, this mini-course is ONLY for Part 61 pilots. For non-pilots, it won't even come close to preparing you for the full Part 107 Knowledge Test. If a non-pilot preps using only this online FAA course, I can guarantee you that they will fail the test.

Reactions: BigAl07
Look guys, if you aren't already a manned-aircraft pilot (meaning you can go the ALC-451 route), there is no way for you adequately prepare for the upcoming full test on the cheap. I'm sorry, but there is probably a lot more of the standard "aeronautical knowledge" material than you are expecting.

Look guys, if you aren't already a manned-aircraft pilot (meaning you can go the ALC-451 route), there is no way for you adequately prepare for the upcoming full test on the cheap. I'm sorry, but there is probably a lot more of the standard "aeronautical knowledge" material than you are expecting.
This is what I'm starting to realize. I am going to read what material I can on my own, but eventually may pay for a class - as soon as actual sUAV classes are formulated. I do want to fly commercially- and having the creds will only help. As well as keep me out of trouble...

Note to Admins - I attempted to contact you but the contact form said "Failed to send".

Try this site, sarahnilsson.org.
Sarah has done an excellent job of calling out the material need for the sUAS test. studying her info along with the Pilots handbook should get anyone ready for the test. Note: you really do ned to study the material -understanding weather, airspace classes and how to read a sectional chart will be the main non-Part 107 portions of the test. Not something a non-pilot can 'wing'.

This is what I'm starting to realize. I am going to read what material I can on my own, but eventually may pay for a class - as soon as actual sUAV classes are formulated. I do want to fly commercially- and having the creds will only help. As well as keep me out of trouble...

I agree many will rush into this and be very surprised.

In the mean time you can begin setting up your LLC or Inc. or whatever as well as the other tasks that will be required of you and requested from your customers such as Tax ID, Insurance, etc.

I registered for the test and was told I should bring a E6-B pilot's computer and plotter. If you don't know what that is (I didn't ) look it up. Good luck to people who think they can "wing it"....
Better get studying.

I seriously doubt that you will need any of the E6-B functions except for the slide rule. Nothing that I have seen indicates that wind triangles, true vs indicated airspeed ,etc. would be on the test. IN general, when you show up for any pilot test, the E6-B and a few very simple calculators are the only devices that you are allowed to use (no programable or multiple memory functions). That being said, I'll probably take mine when I go, just in case!
It will be more important IMHO to be able to figure out how temperature and other factors affect the density altitude (higher temperature increases pressure altitude and that along with increasing humidity increase density altitude. The net effect is that aircraft lift is reduced at higher density altitude and for sUAV's that would most likely be manifest in shorter flight times because the motors have to work harder. This is something not figured into some of the mission planning apps.

Last edited:
I agree with Richard. There is nothing in the ACS that would require the use of an E6B.

Wonder why they said to bring one? Which ACS are you referring to? Either way, I got one and plan on getting familiar with reading VFR sectional charts, plotting a course and reading METAR reports. Even if none of it is on the test I find it all intriguing and it can't hurt to know...

Wonder why they said to bring one? Which ACS are you referring to? Either way, I got one and plan on getting familiar with reading VFR sectional charts, plotting a course and reading METAR reports. Even if none of it is on the test I find it all intriguing and it can't hurt to know...

You will need to be able to read a sectional, including finding locations based on lats/longs. You'll need to be able to identify airspace boundaries based on section chart symbols and know what it takes to fly in the different airspace classes. And you will have to decode METARs as well as TAFs (and Weather Depiction and 4-panel Prognostic Charts). But you won't need the E6B.

The ACS I refer to is the only one there is for Remote Pilot. Here's a version with all the important topics highlighted:

http://www.uav-groundschool.com/library/uas_acs.pdf

You will need to be able to read a sectional, including finding locations based on lats/longs. You'll need to be able to identify airspace boundaries based on section chart symbols and know what it takes to fly in the different airspace classes. And you will have to decode METARs as well as TAFs (and Weather Depiction and 4-panel Prognostic Charts). But you won't need the E6B.

The ACS I refer to is the only one there is for Remote Pilot. Here's a version with all the important topics highlighted:

http://www.uav-groundschool.com/library/uas_acs.pdf
Thanks for the info!

Roger that, Rasit.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl