How to fight the fragile gimbal/cam?

@reynoldsyoung, i doubt this will work. Upon impact the landing gear bends easily....followed by hitting the gimbal. We need to reinforce the landing gear by connecting them together i think, or maybe glue some parts on the gimbal connection.

That was the point of the fiberglass rod...to reinforce the gear to better prevent bending on impact. Make sense?

I kinda meant connecting both landing feet together. They will share the impact then.

I still look for more idea's.

I really wish the + would have a molex for the camera. Then at a crash the camera would detach with the ribbon cable intact.
This is the main problem. We need to find a way to reinforce the ribbon and preventing it from snapping when the camera and gimbal seperate by impact.

borgqueenx said:
I really wish the + would have a molex for the camera. Then at a crash the camera would detach with the ribbon cable intact.
This is the main problem. We need to find a way to reinforce the ribbon and preventing it from snapping when the camera and gimbal seperate by impact.

Just a thought, but I challenge anyone to find a case where the gimbal and camera have spontaneously detached because the rigid clear plastic pins were missing. On the contrary, the gimbal and camera seem to break off because of the shock of impact, but the rigid pins never break. H'mmmm, just wondering hypothetically if the pins were removed then the elastic vibration dampers would have more travel and could act more efficiently as shock absorbers in the event of a hard landing?

Many if not all of the camera detachments result from shearing of the lower gimbal motor shaft (and ribbon cable) upon hard landing. If the rigid clear plastic pins were removed then perhaps more impact energy could be absorbed by the elastic dampers? It is very unlikely the camera and gimbal will separate from the dampers; I lost my V2+ gimbal and camera just as described above (hard landing) then replaced the assembly with a Canon camera attached to upper part of the camera (aluminium plate that holds camera components and receives the 3 cables ). The 4 shock absorbing dampers have been able to hold the plate and Canon without pins and without problems.

wharfbanger said:
borgqueenx said:

Just a thought, but I challenge anyone to find a case where the gimbal and camera have spontaneously detached because the rigid clear plastic pins were missing. On the contrary, the gimbal and camera seem to break off because of the shock of impact, but the rigid pins never break. H'mmmm, just wondering hypothetically if the pins were removed then the elastic vibration dampers would have more travel and could act more efficiently as shock absorbers in the event of a hard landing? Think running over a pothole when your cars suspension reaches the end of its travel - bang!

Many if not all of the camera detachments result from shearing of the lower gimbal motor shaft (and ribbon cable) upon hard landing. If the rigid clear plastic pins were removed then perhaps more impact energy could be absorbed by the elastic dampers? It is very unlikely the camera and gimbal will separate from the dampers; I lost my V2+ gimbal and camera just as described above (hard landing) then replaced the assembly with a Canon camera attached to upper part of the camera (aluminium plate that holds camera components and receives the 3 cables ). The 4 shock absorbing dampers have been able to hold the plate and Canon without pins and without problems.

wharfbanger said:
borgqueenx said:

Just a thought, but I challenge anyone to find a case where the gimbal and camera have spontaneously detached because the rigid clear plastic pins were missing. On the contrary, the gimbal and camera seem to break off because of the shock of impact, but the rigid pins never break. H'mmmm, just wondering hypothetically if the pins were removed then the elastic vibration dampers would have more travel and could act more efficiently as shock absorbers in the event of a hard landing?

Makes sense but how about just longer pins? By the way if you're going to do that you'll need longer landing gear.

I was thinking a couple of zip ties would do the trick, i.e. replace the plastic pins with zip ties, tied loosely of course.

Makes sense but how about just longer pins? By the way if you're going to do that you'll need longer landing gear.

Fred_C_Dobbs said:
I was thinking a couple of zip ties would do the trick, i.e. replace the plastic pins with zip ties, tied loosely of course.

The zip ties may skew the assembly to one side but, this may sound silly, how about just two screws fed up through the dampers with a washer on the bottom head and a washer and lock nut on top? Paint them white and no one will notice.
Hmm, and add a set of springs to the bottom.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj