How to do Waypoint flying with GoPro 4 (Phantom 2 Vision)

Reaction score
Hi there,

I bought the Phantom Vision 2 Quadcopter (Without Gimbal and Camera)

I then bought the Walkera G2D gimbal and attached that and my gopro 4 to the Phantom Vision 2.

My question is, how can i connect the DJI Phantom App to my GoPro camera, or my Phantom 2. I want to be able to set the auto home point and also add waypoints for autonomous waypoint travel. Does it connect to the Phantom directly or is GPS dictated by the camera connection?

If so, how do i use the DJI app if i dont have a DJI camera but instead the GoPro?

Any help would be great

Nick

Re: How to do Waypoint flying with GoPro 4 (Phantom 2 Vision

this is a really confusing post, let me see if I can help, all the different models can indeed be confusing.

The Phantom 2 VISION series ("Phantom 2 Vision" or "Phantom 2 Vision+") come with a "built in" (not designed to be removed or changed) camera+gimbal device that is specific to the Vision series. like I mentioned they aren't really designed to be removed or modified.
The NON-Vision P2's ("Phantom 2") are typically the ones that come with no gimbal or camera, and you have to add them. Often it comes bundled with a Zenmuse H3-3D but you can get a raw P2 without and add a different one (such as the Walkera)

So are you SURE you got a P2 VISION? If so, you or someone modified it and removed the built-in Vision camera+gimbal making things even more complicated than normal. I suspect and hope you got a regular Phantom 2 (non-Vision).

regardless if you have a regular P2 (non-Vision) or a P2-Vision with the DJI cam+gimbal removed, you are not going to use the DJI app to control the camera or gimbal. There is no way to control the gopro in flight, you will simply press record before you take off, and again after you land, and edit your footage later.
The DJI app is ONLY for true P2-Vision series devices using the Vision camera+gimbal. Even if you have a P2-Vision you modded over to a different gimbal, the DJI app no longer applies, at least for gimbal control, camera start/stop, etc.

To answer your question about waypoints, on a regular P2 (non-Vision) the waypoints feature is part of the Ground Station package. It's a separate add-on for the non-Vision series you have to install.
On the P2-Vision series, the Ground Station feature is indeed built-in according to the DJI P2-Vision FAQ. There are instructions there how to enable it if you wind up really having a Vision series Phantom2

Is there any way for the OP to tell which Phantom he has ?

Hey guys,

sorry i am new to all of this...to clear it up, i have a Phantom 2 (I bought just the quadcopter...no gimbal, no camera)

I then used the walkera Gd2 Gimbal and added that to the chasis of the Phantom 2, then added my go pro hero 4 camera on there as well. So if i buy the groundstation, will this then enable me to do GPS waypoint flying?

LoveDon said:
Hey guys,

sorry i am new to all of this...to clear it up, i have a Phantom 2 (I bought just the quadcopter...no gimbal, no camera)

I then used the walkera Gd2 Gimbal and added that to the chasis of the Phantom 2, then added my go pro hero 4 camera on there as well. So if i buy the groundstation, will this then enable me to do GPS waypoint flying?

yes. that is indeed the function of the Ground Station, to program autonomous flight so the Phantom zips around by itself without you controlling it.

Can Phantom 2 Vision+ use waypoints when gimbal and camera are removed ? I mean after I get the telemetry to work with that simple cable pluging ?

Can Phantom 2 Vision+ use waypoints when gimbal and camera are removed ? I mean after I get the telemetry to work with that simple cable pluging ?

Yes, with Android only, waypoints and other features (everything except camera controls in the Litchi app) will work fine.

However, you must setup your GoPro + Gimbal such that the telemetry feed is unaffected. If you have your FPV working and can see your telemetry, you're probably all set.

I just did this mod myself a little while ago and got FPV and everything else working just fine.

EDIT:

Sorry, misread, you have a Phantom 2, nevermind, none of the above applies.

If you had done the simple solder-less no-cost (except the H4-3D & GoPro) mod to upgrade the P2V+ to a GoPro, you would have been golden.

On the bare P2, you need to buy Ground station separately.

Well the problem with this H4-3D gimbal is its shameless price.

What do you mean by this solder less mod ? I have that Vision+ but no gimbal or the camera. What can I do ? I can get telemetry by pluging the cable inside Phantom. And that will work normally, especially it is important to see where it is and also use waypoints, that is very important for my work. Will I be able to do that when I connect the module ?

How can I get GoPro video feed then ?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl