How to check your Phantom 3 for stress cracks *VIDEO*

I'm gathering that they have to be not flown. If you fly them, you are married to them.

Not necessarily. I believe it is dependent on who you bought it from. Most hobby stores that sell these things will have the policy you speak of, but some have the normal 30 day return policy. Also, buying from places like Amazon is another way to ensure that you are taken care of if this happens to you.

I had a heck of a time trying to convince the original seller to accept that it was not my fault.... eventually I was able to send it in for a refund and bought it elsewhere. After some looking around, I found a place that had a 30 day return policy. After buying my second one from this new seller, the same thing ended up happening after the same amount of time, maybe 20 flights. So I called them up and sent them some pictures... Within ten minutes, they replied asking me to stop by for a replacement. As soon as I arrived and handed it to them, my new replacement was handed over and I was out the door no questions asked. I was shocked at how quickly/professionally they handled the situation. This is when I realized that you have to be careful who you buy these things from.

Thanks. How many weeks in were you into use in your original unit? Mine was purchased May 22nd and the dealer, Allerc.com refused to take it back. I'm tempted to use Amex Purchase Protection at this point because it's unacceptable that something that is 6 weeks old needs to go in for service for 8 weeks. First world problems, I know......

I got it on May 26th and I noticed the cracks with 7 hours and 21 minutes of flight time the end of last week. I hadn't been checking it before that so they could have been there the entire time, I have no idea. I contacted the hobby store HeliDirect and they said I need to talk to DJI because if it is opened and over 14 days they will not take it as a return/exchange.

I contacted DJI via email, chat and phone. Chat was useless because the language barrier was so bad I couldn't have a reasonable discussion about it. When I called the US DJI phone number I spoke to a guy named Darryl who said that he got 3 calls that day about the same issue and was going to look into it. But in the end he said I had to send it in and would probably be charged for it. I emailed DJI as well that day to every email address I could find including pictures and a description, but they actually didn't respond until yesterday. Their response was to send it in for a repair.

I contacted Amazon (I purchased it through HeliDirect via Amazon) and filed an A-Z claim including the details about the cracks. Amazon denied the claim saying I did not contact HeliDirect within the 14 day period, but then HeliDirect emailed me as a result of the claim and said I could bring it in for a refund as long as it was undamaged. When I got to HeliDirect, they didn't want to take it back because everything was opened and used and because of the cracks (which they knew already before they told me to come in). I had to fight with them about it and in the end I ended up paying a 15% open box fee to get them to take it as a return. It was either that or 6 weeks for a new shell that DJI would charge me for anyway, so I just decided to get it over with and take my changes on a new unit reinforced with zip ties. As I type this I realize how outrageous the whole situation is lol.

I got it on May 26th and I noticed the cracks with 7 hours and 21 minutes of flight time the end of last week. I hadn't been checking it before that so they could have been there the entire time, I have no idea. I contacted the hobby store HeliDirect and they said I need to talk to DJI because if it is opened and over 14 days they will not take it as a return/exchange.

I contacted DJI via email, chat and phone. Chat was useless because the language barrier was so bad I couldn't have a reasonable discussion about it. When I called the US DJI phone number I spoke to a guy named Darryl who said that he got 3 calls that day about the same issue and was going to look into it. But in the end he said I had to send it in and would probably be charged for it. I emailed DJI as well that day to every email address I could find including pictures and a description, but they actually didn't respond until yesterday. Their response was to send it in for a repair.

I contacted Amazon (I purchased it through HeliDirect via Amazon) and filed an A-Z claim including the details about the cracks. Amazon denied the claim saying I did not contact HeliDirect within the 14 day period, but then HeliDirect emailed me as a result of the claim and said I could bring it in for a refund as long as it was undamaged. When I got to HeliDirect, they didn't want to take it back because everything was opened and used and because of the cracks (which they knew already before they told me to come in). I had to fight with them about it and in the end I ended up paying a 15% open box fee to get them to take it as a return. It was either that or 6 weeks for a new shell that DJI would charge me for anyway, so I just decided to get it over with and take my changes on a new unit reinforced with zip ties. As I type this I realize how outrageous the whole situation is lol.
That sounds like a fair deal you made. I'm trying to work something out with the seller now, Allrec.com. I purchased mine about the same time as you. My unit also has gimbal issues where I can't even film anything because of the gimbal vibrations.

**edit** allerc.com did not offer any assistance. I'm on my own here.

Last edited:
Reactions: storrowdrive
That sounds like a fair deal you made. I'm trying to work something out with the seller now, Allrec.com. I purchased mine about the same time as you. My unit also has gimbal issues where I can't even film anything because of the gimbal vibrations.

**edit** allerc.com did not offer any assistance. I'm on my own here.

Did they mention anyone else contacting them about it? You are definitely not alone in this.

I wish I had a 3D printer I think I know exactly what needs to be done. If there was some type of way to brace the bottom half of the shell under the arms I think that would do it. If you think about it, when the bird is in the air it is like you are holding it from the motors. It is not only the thrust that is putting stress on the arms it is also just the hanging weight of the drone itself even in a normal hover. So if you had some type of way to brace the entire arm so there is no stress on the thin point near the motor it wouldn't flex. That is the exact spot these cracks are occurring. I don't think the zip tie method will work at all now that I think more about it. Someone with a 3D printer could print something that conforms nicely to the bottom of the arms secured by zip ties so you don't have to remove the top of the shell or glue which would void the warranty.

This does not explain the Phantoms that are being delivered this way without flying it like Kmans, however.

Could it be the active braking system that putting on the stress on these frames

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used two ties. Kinda looks like the gold bands :)
IMG_20150707_183856224.jpg
IMG_20150707_184006978_HDR.jpg

Reactions: storrowdrive
No I do not agree... The warranty spells out what is covered. The shell is sold as is... Plain and simple. Even if there are defects. No warranty means no warranty. If you fell this is wrong then do not buy the P3... Also if you did buy it you have nothing to cry about. You didn't read or understand the warranty. Why is this DJI's issue? Why do you find the need to excuse the consumer from reading the warranty? Why do you fell any company need to include a warranty? This is the same mentality where somebody buys a P3 crashed it and blame's DJI... Only to find out the person didn't read the manual. You should be thankful that you have any warranty at all.

Do you get payed by dji for posting this nonsense or what . When i buy a new product that has bin broken without even have taken out of the box i Will expect a full refund or recovery . I think you work for that Company or at least they sent you free phantom shells.

My p3 is set to be delivered today . Do you guys think it would be a good idea to adjust the torque on the frame screws .

My p3 is set to be delivered today . Do you guys think it would be a good idea to adjust the torque on the frame screws .

Yes. Back them out and make them finger tight. I would only worry about the screws between the motor and lights.

It can only alleviate the issue however, it's not the solution. More rigidity in the arms is the answer.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Yes. Back them out and make them finger tight. I would only worry about the screws between the motor and lights.

It can only alleviate the issue however, it's not the solution. More rigidity in the arms is the answer.
Thank you ! I'll definitely be doing that first . Is there any other preventive Measures ? Such as epoxy .

Received a reply from DJI today about my gimbal having stress cracks in the thin area that the ribbon able is mounted to. I explained to them that I had built up the thin material with some bondic to increase the strength and stop any further cracking of the gimbal.

My phantom 3 professional has never been open and has zero other fixes or mods to it..

DJI has closed my case as in their opinion my fix has voided the warranty. UNACCEPTABLE!!

Not a very happy customer to say the least and I have sent a response back to them about closing this case.

Stay tuned as I will share their response back to me.

:/

Thank you ! I'll definitely be doing that first . Is there any other preventive Measures ? Such as epoxy .

There are a few methods that are being tested. I'm currently using the CA super glue technique around the seams, bonding the two shell halves together permanently. Others are using tape around the arms nearest the motors. Some are opening the shell and applying epoxy or Bondic (I think that's what it's called) to the areas under the motor and around the screw locations that are being effected.

I don't see myself opening the shell on mine any time soon, so I didn't see how it could hurt to super glue them together. I have no interest in DJI's 'warranty' so I'm willing to sacrifice it. If I do ever have to open it up, a hot knife tool should do the job easily. I have around 20 flights on it now after making this modification and the arms are not showing any signs of losing the increase in rigidity. My previous two P3P's started to crack at around 15 flights, or about 3 hours of flight time.

There are a few methods that are being tested. I'm currently using the CA super glue technique around the seams, bonding the two shell halves together permanently. Others are using tape around the arms nearest the motors. Some are opening the shell and applying epoxy or Bondic (I think that's what it's called) to the areas under the motor and around the screw locations that are being effected.

I don't see myself opening the shell on mine any time soon, so I didn't see how it could hurt to super glue them together. I have no interest in DJI's 'warranty' so I'm willing to sacrifice it. If I do ever have to open it up, a hot knife tool should do the job easily. I have around 20 flights on it now after making this modification and the arms are not showing any signs of losing the increase in rigidity. My previous two P3P's started to crack at around 15 flights, or about 3 hours of flight time.
I wonder if it would be good to start a thread that everyone can post their serial number ,maybe last 5 or 6 digits and say yes or no to stress cracks . Maybe it will be possible to see which batch of shells are bad . But it sounds like it may be all of them.

Received a reply from DJI today about my gimbal having stress cracks in the thin area that the ribbon able is mounted to. I explained to them that I had built up the thin material with some bondic to increase the strength and stop any further cracking of the gimbal.

My phantom 3 professional has never been open and has zero other fixes or mods to it..

DJI has closed my case as in their opinion my fix has voided the warranty. UNACCEPTABLE!!

Not a very happy customer to say the least and I have sent a response back to them about closing this case.

Stay tuned as I will share their response back to me.

:/
Hmmmm. I'd not be happy either. Ask to speak to a manager or supervisor. Cowboys

I can confirm the zip tie method does not work. I just noticed a crack on one of the screw holes on a rear arm. All of the arms on this particular P3P have been zip tied since day 1 and has never been crashed or even landed hard. I literally check the screw holes after every flight and this happened all from one flight. Moderate wind playing around with the new waypoint function.

Solo is still coming to fruition. Most Solo owners are still waiting for gimbals some 6 months after introduction. So let's not put down DJI until Solo can prove itself.

It appears the Phantom 2 or 3 shell is basically a poor design. Stress cracks seem to be a growing problem. I found mine early before it crashed so I replaced the shell for just $65 and it's been running fine since.

Currently, I'm flying the P2+ until I receive the Solo gimbal and can make a proper comparison.

I can confirm the zip tie method does not work. I just noticed a crack on one of the screw holes on a rear arm. All of the arms on this particular P3P have been zip tied since day 1 and has never been crashed or even landed hard. I literally check the screw holes after every flight and this happened all from one flight. Moderate wind playing around with the new waypoint function.

I don't think the zip-tie method was supposed to prevent the cracks from appearing - instead, I think the point was to do the job of the screws so that even if the cracks got so bad the screws did nothing, the shells were held together

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z