How to check your Phantom 3 for stress cracks *VIDEO*

Since I posted my YouTube video a bunch of people have said they have the same issue. This YouTuber posted this video after mine. His is cracking in the same locations as mine. This leads me to think it is intact a design defect.

I popped the top shell, unfastened the motors and cleaned the internal mounting areas with alcohol. Then applied 30 min epoxy thinned with a small amount of alcohol by syringe to fill all the cavities in the motor mount area (3/16" to 1/4" thick). Worked awesome even without filler. The spider crack that began on one arm seems properly fused and the other arms seem much more sturdy now.

If you guys buy new shells at some point do yourself a favor and reinforce the internal mounts with epoxy before swapping the parts. It may be the last shell you'll ever need.

Here's the parts list -
Epoxy
Syringe
91% Isopropyl
Can this be done without removing the top shell? My crack is near one of the screw holes. If I move the motor some, I see a crack right down the middle of the frame, right under the motor. I'd like to be able to do this procedure with the minimal amount of removal of hardware. So, is it possible to lift up the motor a little bit if I unscrew it?

I don't think DJI is going to do anything about it. honestly. They are a proud bunch that really don't care about the customer. Customer service has been terrible for me. I'd rather chop off a finger than have to deal with customer service. I'll repair what I can and that will be it for me on these products. Not until there is better support for the customer will I buy any more DJI products. This was present on earlier versions. I see they haven't improved the area to prevent it from happening on the phantom 3. I guess that's how you sell more products like shells. Leave a design flaw and let the customer deal with it. Who wants to send in their phantom for 6-8 weeks? Sheesh.

I popped the top shell, unfastened the motors and cleaned the internal mounting areas with alcohol. Then applied 30 min epoxy thinned with a small amount of alcohol by syringe to fill all the cavities in the motor mount area (3/16" to 1/4" thick). Worked awesome even without filler. The spider crack that began on one arm seems properly fused and the other arms seem much more sturdy now.

If you guys buy new shells at some point do yourself a favor and reinforce the internal mounts with epoxy before swapping the parts. It may be the last shell you'll ever need.

Here's the parts list -
Epoxy
Syringe
91% Isopropyl

Any pics? I would love to go this route.

Reactions: MattM123
As soon as I heard of this issue I removed all motor screws one motor at a time and tipped the screws with blue locktight, replaced them by screwing them in until the shell seam was snug then added 1/4 turn. 50 flights and so far no issue. Fingers crossed. By the way, those were way to tight for a plastic shell.

You lucky or you used plastic compatible Loctite.

'Regular' Loctite is know to attack plastic while out-gassing causing the plastic to become brittle.

Any pics? I would love to go this route.

Yes pics please, it might be a good preventative measure as well.

Let me ask you then. We are posting in circles here.

Do you think it's unreasonable for a company not to cover a proven design or manufacturing defect under warranty? Irregardless of the product? Let's assume it's clear cut that both parties agree it's a design and/or manufacturing defect.

I know what DJI's warranty states that's not my point. My point is that it's unreasonable.

Do you agree or not.

No I do not agree... The warranty spells out what is covered. The shell is sold as is... Plain and simple. Even if there are defects. No warranty means no warranty. If you fell this is wrong then do not buy the P3... Also if you did buy it you have nothing to cry about. You didn't read or understand the warranty. Why is this DJI's issue? Why do you find the need to excuse the consumer from reading the warranty? Why do you fell any company need to include a warranty? This is the same mentality where somebody buys a P3 crashed it and blame's DJI... Only to find out the person didn't read the manual. You should be thankful that you have any warranty at all.

Reactions: c4Lvin
Check out this repair solution called "Bondic". http://notaglue.com It is a liquid plastic welding/glue material that is cured immediately using infrared light... It is similar to what dentists use to glue various things into our pie-holes. I've used Bondic on multiple repairs to other items and it is easy to use, strong and works well. I do some 3d Printing at home and it has proven invaluable at bonding prints that are too big or complex to print in one piece. It is also available at Amazon/Prime.

As I write this I'm less than 1 hour from buying my first big-boy quad, a P3A, from a local hobby shop. I plan on un-boxing and inspecting the bird for cracks before I put down the cash. I also hope to try to determine what firmware is loaded but not sure how to go about that yet.

BTW, I'm a noob. I've been flying 'toy' quads since Christmas and I have RTFM at least 3 times now. I plan to RTFM again with bird in front of me and follow all the procedures to the letter (except firmware update), then practice in training mode before I take to the air.

Last edited:
Check out this repair solution called "Bondic". http://notaglue.com It is a liquid plastic welding/glue material that is cured immediately using infrared light... It is similar to what dentists use to glue various things into our pie-holes. I've used Bondic on multiple repairs to other items and it is easy to use, strong and works well. I do some 3d Printing at home and it has proven invaluable at bonding prints that are too big or complex to print in one piece. It is lso available at Amazon/Prime.

As I write this I'm less than 1 hour from buying my first big-boy quad, a P3A, from a local hobby shop. I plan on un-boxing and inspecting the bird for cracks before I put down the cash. I also hope to try to determine what firmware is loaded but not sure how to go about that yet.

BTW, I'm a noob. I've been flying 'toy' quads since Christmas and I have RTFM at least 3 times now. I plan to RTFM again with bird in front of me and follow all the procedures to the letter (except firmware update), then practice in training mode before I take to the air.

Welcome to the club. Flying the toy quads is great prep for the Phantoms. Does this cure without infrared?

Edit: Looks like you buy the whole thing including lamp. Interesting concept.

Welcome to the club. Flying the toy quads is great prep for the Phantoms. Does this cure without infrared?

Edit: Looks like you buy the whole thing including lamp. Interesting concept.

Thank you. Nope, it won't cure until you shine the light on it. Cure takes seconds.

Though I've only been flying a few months with a P2v3 I recently found a crack on an arm after a rather rough landing cracking just the snap-on guard. Upon splitting the hull I found a lot more cracks and damage on other arms. I should probably order a new shell but decided to use crazy glue and crazy glue gel.

Also as recommended in the P2+v3 thread, I crazy glued the seam on the arm.

Two points, the cracking isn't limited to just the new P3, and, use only a touch of blue Locktite. It does seem to bake on the motor mounting screws perhaps weakening the thin plastic.

Ronbo

Yes 'regular' Loctite will weaken plastic (from the out-gassing)!

There are types available which are safe for use near plastics.

For you folks who are gluing your cracks, I recommend epoxy... Super glue is to "brittle" and has very little ability to fill gaps. Epoxy is very strong and can fill gaps.

I would use Devcon 2 ton epoxy
http://www.amazon.com/Devcon-35345-...8&qid=1435864389&sr=8-5&keywords=devcon+epoxy

And if you want to make a paste or thicken it up I would mix in some micro balloons. This will also lighten up the epoxy
http://www.amazon.com/Top-Flite-Mic...qid=1435864551&sr=8-1&keywords=micro+balloons

How can I make the epoxy more runny, water like before it sets? I would like to fill the areas around the inside screw mounts if I decide to go that route.

How can I make the epoxy more runny, water like before it sets? I would like to fill the areas around the inside screw mounts if I decide to go that route.
Rubbing alcohol will thin epoxy. You would want to use 91% instead of the 70% cheaper stuff. I understand what you are trying to do and I would not recommend thinning the epoxy. I am not too sure if this would weakening the bond or not. The 2 ton stuff Devcon makes takes 30 mins to cure. I would believe it would flow down a bit to fill the area you want.

No I do not agree... The warranty spells out what is covered. The shell is sold as is... Plain and simple. Even if there are defects. No warranty means no warranty. If you fell this is wrong then do not buy the P3... Also if you did buy it you have nothing to cry about. You didn't read or understand the warranty. Why is this DJI's issue? Why do you find the need to excuse the consumer from reading the warranty? Why do you fell any company need to include a warranty? This is the same mentality where somebody buys a P3 crashed it and blame's DJI... Only to find out the person didn't read the manual. You should be thankful that you have any warranty at all.

I disagree. Just because they have no warranty on the shell, does not mean that they should sell it as defective (assuming this is proven to be a defect by DJI).
If you bought an iPad, and the screen arrived cracked (assume there is zero warranty on it), would you not say this is the companies fault? This is very different to buying it and breaking it, which you directly compare to. That is poor business practice, no matter how you put it. When we buy new things, we expect them to be in new condition, not defective or damaged, regardless of there being a warranty.

I could not care less about having a warranty, as long as the company sells me the product in new condition when I purchase it. Buying new products with defects is not the same as buying a product and breaking it yourself.

The truth is that this is not ethical for a company to do, no matter how you put it, regardless of the fact that they can legally do this all day.

EDIT: Also just wanted to say, appreciate the good info your spreading on here! If this happens to me I will be taking your advice on epoxy and giving it a try! Just because I like to argue does not mean you don't have valid points!

Last edited:
Reactions: NoOne

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1