How should I charge? $$$$$

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone here has done Arial footage for movie productions?
I was asked if I could be hired to take some Arial footage for a very low budget movie production but I'm not sure what I should charge or how I should charge.. Any help appreciated.. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ask them how much they can pay you. Don't open your cards first.

Anyway, you should know your cost:
1. Your hourly rate
2. Project estimated hours
3. Your equipment cost incl damages
4. Boarding/ Lodging expenses
5. Processing cost/ hr and processing hrs
6. Transportation
7. Media cost to transfer the files to them
8. Higher rates for extra working per day
9. 20% additional for unforeseen cost
10. Any thing else on actuals

Last edited:
Are we talking about just filming and handing them the footage or editing? Do they have a story board? Who is directing these shots? Are you the one determining what the shots are going to be or are they dictating this? Pre and post production is where the time comes in. How much filming are we talking about? I would figure out how much time it's going to take. Ask what their budget is and tell them how much you can give them for what they have budgeted then go from there.

Reactions: jeremiah212
The good thing is that you're in Canada so you are not handcuffed by needing a 333 exemption from the FAA in the US.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeremiah212
How good are you?

If your an ace UAV pilot and videographer it will be a question of if they can afford you and how much your prepared to bend to meet a limited budget.

If your just starting out the extreme may be you do it to cover your costs and make a name for yourself in the process.

Yes I will just be shooting and handing over the raw footage. An ace pilot? No but I am no beginner either.
Very simple shots.. Just Following a river, about 10 miles of it.
thank you guys for your input very much appreciated

Last edited:
Yes I will just be shooting and handing over the raw footage. An ace pilot? No but I am no beginner either.

You get the point. The price you can command is almost always predominantly determined by how experienced and good you are at what you do. Sounds like a fun job. Getting paid for something you enjoy doing, doesnt get much better than that.

I would use an app to do the flying for you. This would make it easy to adjust your video to their needs. I have found apps like Litchi do a great job for the price. Sounds like fun!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Get insurance. Almost more important than getting paid. It's pretty standard procedure for shoots (if they have their act together they'll be able to get a certificate very easily - just ask the production) and for good reason; the time crunch inherent to pro filming is just hard on gear.

Once the production starts, it should not stop because of you. For this purpose you need 200% spares, ready to use spares. Phantoms, props, batteries, Chargers, SD cards, gimbals....All needs to be costed.

Whatever you quote, keep room for negotiations.

Flying over ten miles of river. I wouldn't charge anything less than the cost of replacing your aircraft.

Flying over ten miles of river. I wouldn't charge anything less than the cost of replacing your aircraft.
You wouldn't do a lot of business! That is what insurance is for, and your premiums are certainly not the cost of replacing your quad.

You don't try and recover your outlay all on one job either. When you cost the job, you should already have an idea of what the market can take and how much other work you expect to get.

Most insurances won't cover the complete loss so if you want to collect you better own some diving gear. Crashes happen I sure wouldn't want to risk my phantom 3 loss over a 300.00 job in a risky environment.

A full day of filming should gross you at least 700.00 which would replace a P3 Pro if you order just the aircraft.

When you cost the job, you should already have an idea of what the market can take and how much other work you expect to get.

Heh...kinda think that's why he asked. How about this; what are people quantifying? Flight time? Delivered footage time? Day rate? Seat-of-the-pants flat fee?

From other freelance experience I know this conversation is often (usually) backward: "we have $X...can you do it?" but I'd be interested in what's standard for people with exemptions or conducive locales

As a Professional Photographer I charge £75.00 GBP per hour & only work from ten in the morning until four in the afternoon, after that I charge double time. Hope this helps.

For movie productions, you need a 333 exemption, a COA, a licensed pilot, a commercial registration number and aircraft insurance and general liability insurance is recommended as well. In addition, you need an MPTOM, FOPM and for each location a POA submitted and accepted and a NOTAM filed along with the usual film permits, fire and PD production clearances.

For movie productions, you need a 333 exemption, a COA, a licensed pilot, a commercial registration number and aircraft insurance and general liability insurance is recommended as well. In addition, you need an MPTOM, FOPM and for each location a POA submitted and accepted and a NOTAM filed along with the usual film permits, fire and PD production clearances.
Only in the (B) US!

Note: B stands for bureaucratic. The OP is from CA I think....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl