How quick do you lose signal?

Reaction score
My P4P seems to have pretty terrible range .. Although I do fly over a lot of wooded areas, so interference may come into play. I get between 3-6000 feet before my signal drops from full to Aircraft disconnected in about 50 feet? Is it normal to go from full to no signal in ~ 50 ft?

My P4 does the same, between 400m and maximum 1600m. Where my P3A would do 3500m easily.
The drop off is very quick - full bars to RTH in a few seconds.

That really concerns me, how is it that the p4p cant even go 6000 feet when the specs are for miles?

That really concerns me, how is it that the p4p cant even go 6000 feet when the specs are for miles?
There are many things that effect that range. Remember that 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz are used widely on Internet Routers. So, every house you fly over, every store and building has 2.4ghz or 5.8ghz pouring out for as much as 150-200 yards, some even claim 500 yards or more.
This is interference, plain and simple and it has to degrade your signal.
I have seen a video here where a guy took his P4P out 10 miles and then back, always still linked. So, where you fly matters.

My P4 does the same, between 400m and maximum 1600m. Where my P3A would do 3500m easily.
The drop off is very quick - full bars to RTH in a few seconds.
The P4 RC is anemic, documented here. The P3P works much better than P4 for a reason, better power from the RC. If you link an Inspire GL658A or a P3P RC GL300A to your P4 craft you'll have better range. This is unrelated to the OP with P4P issues, a completely different RC and craft that's very capable of 3+miles.

Last edited:
My P4P seems to have pretty terrible range .. Although I do fly over a lot of wooded areas, so interference may come into play. I get between 3-6000 feet before my signal drops from full to Aircraft disconnected in about 50 feet? Is it normal to go from full to no signal in ~ 50 ft?
If you're in the US, you can easily get 3 miles from a P4P if you have clear LOS connection, NO TREES or mountains between you and the craft. You can easily get 4miles if you're transmitter is high on a hill and you fly below without obstructions. 5.8Ghz AUTO works best because there's less interference in that band. The RC also happens to transmit slightly more power on 5.8Ghz compared to 2.4Ghz. Using a windsurfer will help too, assuming you have a LOS connection.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Thanks John, I read that thread from start to finish - after I sold the P3A and bought the P4 - oops. Very informative, cheers!
Already eyeing up the replacement..... !

Thanks John, I read that thread from start to finish - after I sold the P3A and bought the P4 - oops. Very informative, cheers!
Already eyeing up the replacement..... !
Keep in mind the numbers in that post reflect FCC transmitters in the US. I have no idea how the numbers compare in the UK, since DJI transmitters, triggered by GPS location, are detuned for the European market, complying with local UK regulations.

Of course, CE mode is slightly hobbled.
I'm not looking to set any records, just be able to get close to an acceptable range.
The best way to do that for CE locations is to install an Itelite DBS2 directional antenna. If that doesn't satisfy your distance needs, then add the Sunhans amplifiers and keep the craft on either 2.4Ghz or 5.8Ghz, depending on the amplifiers you buy.

Reactions: PaulSouthport
good information from all ... I need to get to nice location with no barriers and see how far this can go.

I should mention that I added a 4Hawks SR antenna and I see about a 50% increase in range where I normally fly. Far from 4x distance, but it is something. Could my RC, AC or both be a dud if the range is still terrible with no obstructions?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl