How much do you charge for construction progress photos?

Reaction score
Drone aerial photography seems to be a perfect fit for construction progress photos.

I have only one client now for construction progress (most of my work is aesthetic photos for use in brochures, websites, or to hang on the wall). But I would like to do more of this work.

My present client is building an industrial building on about 15 acres. I proposed $150.00 per month for about 10 photos taken from various angles, though I usually do a lot more than that. After a couple of months, they decided only to do the photos as they felt were needed, which is going to be about every other month, I think.

At any rate, I would be able to charge a lot less and still do ok with multiple projects. I'm just wondering if there are any "standard" rates or if anyone cares to share their pricing structure for this kind of work.

(Note, I'm referring to oblique photos, and not mapping the area).

Reactions: SanCap
Drone aerial photography seems to be a perfect fit for construction progress photos.

I have only one client now for construction progress (most of my work is aesthetic photos for use in brochures, websites, or to hang on the wall). But I would like to do more of this work.

My present client is building an industrial building on about 15 acres. I proposed $150.00 per month for about 10 photos taken from various angles, though I usually do a lot more than that. After a couple of months, they decided only to do the photos as they felt were needed, which is going to be about every other month, I think.

At any rate, I would be able to charge a lot less and still do ok with multiple projects. I'm just wondering if there are any "standard" rates or if anyone cares to share their pricing structure for this kind of work.

I do not think there is any standard price. 15 Acres is a fairly large piece of land with a building. I charge a bit more than you for a 1 family residence construction update plus I offer a short video. The beauty of these jobs is they do not require blue skies and white puffy clouds :) I have some clients that pay in advance up to a year and they received a small discount.

Reactions: bad karma
I do not think there is any standard price. 15 Acres is a fairly large piece of land with a building. I charge a bit more than you for a 1 family residence construction update plus I offer a short video. The beauty of these jobs is they do not require blue skies and white puffy clouds :) I have some clients that pay in advance up to a year and they received a small discount.

What do you mean by blue skies and white puffy clouds?... lol

What do you mean by blue skies and white puffy clouds?... lol

When you shoot for Realtors or other picture quality sensitive clients you'll want to shoot on days with blue skies but not clear.. you want white puffy clouds to add some character to the skies.

When you shoot for Realtors or other picture quality sensitive clients you'll want to shoot on days with blue skies but not clear.. you want white puffy clouds to add some character to the skies.

Gotcha

I am a semi retired commercial photographer with 20 years experience. I dumped all my DSLR cameras as everyone's a photographer now so I switch to the air. Once I get my 107 license my minimum hourly rate will be the same if not more at 150 an hour.

Reactions: bad karma
I am a semi retired commercial photographer with 20 years experience. I dumped all my DSLR cameras as everyone's a photographer now so I switch to the air. Once I get my 107 license my minimum hourly rate will be the same if not more at 150 an hour.

Better hurry. Everyone’s an aerial photographer now too.. ;)

Last edited:
You will probably do alright if you have existing clients and reputation from your years in terrestrial photography. Might be a long time between meals at that rate otherwise, plenty are willing to work for a lot lower rates.

You will probably do alright if you have existing clients and reputation from your years in terrestrial photography. Might be a long time between meals at that rate otherwise, plenty are willing to work for a lot lower rates.

Sad but TRUE.

Reactions: Squirrel!
Unless you live in a part of the country where "puffy white clouds" are an anomaly :D - we have to deal with the "Marine Layer" on regular basis. Not exactly "Chamber of Commerce" conditions.

Reactions: BigAl07
Better hurry. Everyone’s an aerial photographer now too.. ;)
And therein lies the rub...you are 1000% correct. Everyone and their cousins-sisters-boyfriends-uncle's-daughter, has a drone now and ready to stake their claim. :confused:

Yes, drone aerial photography is perfect fit for construction progress photos. Drones are flying easily over the sky and can take photo. Now all aerial photographers are using drones for construction photos. I always called an aerial photographer from [Links removed] to take photos of my construction. The photographer always uses drones to take photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
And therein lies the rub...you are 1000% correct. Everyone and their cousins-sisters-boyfriends-uncle's-daughter, has a drone now and ready to stake their claim. :confused:
With the cost of quality equipment and license, and with a 1 mil liability policy the cost gets steep especially if you fail the test multiple time - When I took my test there were 4 other people there also 3 were retaking for the 2nd and 3rd time. I passed the 1st time:) but at 150.00 a pop they were finished after this try anf I dont believe any passed that day but me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav