how many use a external GPS tracker

Reaction score
how many use a tracker device attached to the bird if you lose it. I thought the maps were enough if she went down. And if so where is the best place to attach it to the P4. I have one that I use on my Q500+ that I maybe should start using on the p4 also

I use a Trackimo on my P4 with a gimbal-guard.com mount I got from Jason at Space City Drones. If you buy one now, be sure to get the new 3G model which is available directly from Trackimo. Most of the ones that you will find being sold are the old 2G model, which might become obsolete very shortly when the cellular networks stop supporting 2G. It is impossible to tell which one you have by looking at it. The only way to know is to check the small print on the box that shows the model number.

Reactions: dparkins
I thought the maps were enough if she went down
The maps are sufficient if the downlink is still connected when the Phantom lands/crashes. If the downlink is lost, the location will no longer be updated on the map. That's when you'll need a GPS tracker to find it.

where is the best place to attach it to the P4
Most people attach GPS trackers to the landing gear. For example:

DJI-Phantom-4-TK-102-GPS-Tracker-Mounting-Bracket-Protector-Mount-Bracket-Holder.jpg

Reactions: MarteSystems
I don't use a gimbal guard. But, I can imagine the sensors would pick up the GPS tracker if you attempt to install it between the landing gear.

I use "Marco Polo" tracker and thankfully I have not needed to actually track my P4 yet. But I'm impressed with the way it is supposed to work and no GPS or cell service needed. I velcroed it to the left rear leg and add a security strap. I feel as confident as a one can feel that should I lose my P4 I stand a chance of finding it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Gary E
I use "Marco Polo" tracker and thankfully I have not needed to actually track my P4 yet. But I'm impressed with the way it is supposed to work and no GPS or cell service needed. I velcroed it to the left rear leg and add a security strap. I feel as confident as a one can feel that should I lose my P4 I stand a chance of finding it.

Could you post a picture of your setup? I am leaning toward the Marco Polo because once I really start to fly my P4 where I intend to make the best use of it has no cell service.

Yes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using PhantomPilots mobile app[/Q. UOTE]
I fly P1s and also have the Drone Mods locator. I have put good quality Velcro on bottom of bird and back of locator. I also put a tether string on tracker and loop it through one of the landing legs before attaching to quad. I don't know if anyone makes a specific holder for them.

Have any of you done a simulation to verify how and if it works, i.e. Start up like normal mission, then have someone take it to an unknown location (they stay with it of course) and then track it down?

When I first got the Marco Polo several of the members of our club hid the transmitter about a quarter of a mile away from our field (P4 not attached). After only about ten minutes I was easily able to find the small transmitter, in fact I almost stepped on it. Now I know this is probably not like the real life situation, but it gives me enough confidence that I will have a reasonably good chance of finding my P4 in case of a fly away or crash. I always fly with a spotter so the general direction will probably be known.

That's what I would need for confidence. Now next test, throw it 40' in the air and see if it still locates after landing (just kidding but it's an unknown)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20