How many satellites do I need?

Be patient Matt, hopefully msinger will know

I really don't think it's a calibration issue. The calibration process seems to go through fine. It just never gives me a safe to fly GPS signal in the app. I have no idea what it could be. I had 10 satellites a few minutes ago when I tried and the lights just kept flashing yellow. The switch appears to be working also because if I move it to the middle position it tells me that it's in attitude mode and to switch to GPS to ensure a safe flight. In the top left corner where it tells you the mode it tells me it's in P-Atti mode while all this is going on.

You've never got a "safe to fly GPS" signal banner on the app?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Nope. The only time I get it is when I start my motors and it creates a home point but as soon as it gets off the ground it loses it and goes back to the no GPS banner.

Are you sure it's booting correctly and you're getting the proper light sequence after the boot? Are you sure your controller is bound to the AC?

Are you sure it's booting correctly and you're getting the proper light sequence after the boot? Are you sure your controller is bound to the AC?
I think so. What is the proper light sequence? The controller should be. I can still fly it just not in GPS mode.

OK so I went to the different location today and the same result. I had 14 satellites today and it still wouldn't go into GPS mode. I am at a total loss here. I guess the next step is to call DJI again and see if I can get it repaired or replaced. If anyone has any ideas please post them. Thank you.

OK so I went to the different location today and the same result. I had 14 satellites today and it still wouldn't go into GPS mode. I am at a total loss here. I guess the next step is to call DJI again and see if I can get it repaired or replaced. If anyone has any ideas please post them. Thank you.
Sorry if someone might have said this already, didn't read the whole thread. Did you try to uninstall the Go app and reinstall it.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

OK so I went to the different location today and the same result. I had 14 satellites today and it still wouldn't go into GPS mode.
Please attach your TXT flight log here. If you need help retrieving it, you can find instructions here.

Make sure that the switches on both the top corners of the remote are set to the top most setting, the right hand one especially. The right hand one lets you choose between the modes GPS, ATTI and Program. You want to be using GPS so you'll want it at the up position.

Hope this helps, just a chance this could be the problem.
Of course the S1 switch (right side) needs to be in P-mode, but I have never heard anyone speak about the importance of the S2 (left side) being in any certain position. Since no one else has comment on this point about the position of the S2 (left side switch), am I to assume it's not true and the S2 switch has nothing to do with normal flight.

I have not tried that yet.
It's worth a try, especially since it's so simple and quick to do. If you had posted the question on the DJI forum one of the reps would had suggested this right off. Just to eliminate that as a possibility.

Here's how I suggest you proceed to fly:

1) Turn on controller with S switches up and sticks centered.

2) Turn on aircraft and place on ground in open area.

3) Watch the lights - especially the two lights underneath the back wings next to the battery.

The light sequences underneath the back wings will tell you everything you need to know. If you don't know what the lights are telling you, you really need to read the entire manual from top to bottom. It will solve a lot of problems for you moving forward.

Once the lights have informed you that everything is working as it should, you can proceed with whatever else you want to do, such as turning on your mobile device, starting your app, etc.

When I turn it on it flashes green, red and yellow which should be initial set up. Then it flashes green and yellow which should be warm up. After that it goes to flashing yellow which is safe to fly but no GPS. No matter how long I let it sit there it won't flash green which would be safe to fly with GPS. On the app it shows connected to at least 8 satellites but never gives the green safe to fly banner only the yellow no GPS banner. The bird itself never flashes green lights either. I uninstalled the app and reinstalled today. Hopefully there will be some light left when I get home to test it out.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Green red yellow.

It should do this twice right? Is that what happened?

Next you say it flashes green yellow. Okay. Can you be more specific? What do you mean flashes? Does it flash it twice? 10x?

What exactly is it telling you? Be specific. If you don't know, check your manual. You're saying it's warm up? Is that it? It's just warming up?

Then it goes flashing yellow?

Isn't there a method for the AC to advise you of the number of satellites it has locked by flashing lights at you? You seemed to have skipped this step.

I confess I don't have a P3S, but I cannot believe DJI removed this useful information from their light sequence.

My point of all this is you cannot be sure if the flashing yellow is telling it it's okay to fly w/o GPS or if it's telling you it doesnt' sense an RC connection. Because rapid flashing yellow is the classic warning that it doesn't sense the RC.

Last edited:
Here's a quote from Meta4 that might help
compass.PNG

Green red yellow.

It should do this twice right? Is that what happened?

Next you say it flashes green yellow. Okay. Can you be more specific? What do you mean flashes? Does it flash it twice? 10x?

What exactly is it telling you? Be specific. If you don't know, check your manual. You're saying it's warm up? Is that it? It's just warming up?

Then it goes flashing yellow?

Isn't there a method for the AC to advise you of the number of satellites it has locked by flashing lights at you? You seemed to have skipped this step.

I confess I don't have a P3S, but I cannot believe DJI removed this useful information from their light sequence.

My point of all this is you cannot be sure if the flashing yellow is telling it it's okay to fly w/o GPS or if it's telling you it doesnt' sense an RC connection. Because rapid flashing yellow is the classic warning that it doesn't sense the RC.
I can be sure actually. It's slow flashing not fast flashing. Slow flashing means no GPS. It states that clearly in the manual.

I have not. I don't have a computer at home. I'm going to go to work early and take my charge cable and try and upload it in the morning.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj